Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Liquify filter

Aug 13, 2012 9:41 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2012 9:41 PM   in reply to Community Help

For anyone looking for some visual reinforcement on how to use the Liquefy filter, the InfiniteSkills blog is featuring another Photoshop CS6 tutorial by Andy Anderson. In addition to showing a few different ways to use the Liquefy feature itself, he also highlights pucker and bloat, and also shows how to undo the effects if you accidentally go too far.

http://infiniteskills.com/blog/2012/08/adobe-photoshop-cs6-tutorial-th e-liquefy-filter/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 3:33 AM   in reply to Community Help

very good tutorial! thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 9:57 PM   in reply to chrisjohnsskills

Recently upgraded to PS CS6.  Previous version had no liquify issues.  Now - no brush - and when I attempt to use the liquify filter - the whole image moves (not the portion I want to edit).  Any ideas.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling - no good.  Tried installing both the 32bit and 64bit versions (both installed successfully) but still can't get liquify to work -- help!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 12:35 AM   in reply to coach

Normally that happens when the brush is set to something huge and the user doesn't notice the brush size.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 6:43 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

True - and I wish it was something that simple.  I've been all up and down the brush size slider.  No matter what size is chosen - I only see a crosshare and can't pinpoint a particular area of the photo to adjust.  The whole image just contracts - each time.

Noel has advised that Adobe added GPU acceleration - and that there is a key I can hold down which would force liquify to use CPU instead of GPU.  I'm going to try that, when I get home this evening.  Also not sure what (if any) impact my graphics card may have here (Nvidia GeForce 660s) but I'm determined to figure this out.

I've used Liquify for years - but all that while, I was running my first version of Photoshop CS (circa 2004).  Purchased a new PC (Alienware) and purchased an all new PS CS6.

Cheers,

Coach B.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to coach

If you could post a screen shot of the Liquify dialog and it's partial cursor it may help us to figure out what's going on.

Including the Help - System Info would also help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to john worthington

Excellent idea - I'll put a screen shot up, later tonight when I get home.

Cheers,

Coach B.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 9:43 PM   in reply to coach

Here's a link to a post that describes the problem perfectly: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1109225?tstart=30

Within the post there's a screen shot.  That post also describes a combination of keys to hold (immediately after cold launching PS) but when I tried that, I still get the same result (entire photo contortion - not the area I'm targeting.

Thanks,

Coach B.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 10:08 PM   in reply to coach

Problem solved!  Took Noel's advice (he indicated there's a key you can hold - while cold starting PS, but wasn't sure which key it was).  After some playing around - I found that if I hold the "Shift" key while starting PS, I got the dialogue box "Skip Loading 3rd Party Plugins?" to which I responded "yes".  Then - once the liquify screen showed, I manually entered the brush size (instead of using the slider) and the brush circumference was visible - and would change, as I entered various values in the "brush size" box.

Not sure why I have to do it this way - but after 3 days of trying to figure it out - it's a small thing to have to do, to keep moving forward.

Thanks for all the brain-storming -- really appreciate it!

Coach B.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 11:44 AM   in reply to coach

Do you need to press the shift key AND manually enter the brush size or is manually entering the brush size sufficient? Do you do this every time you start Liquify or did doing it once solve the problem?

Thanks,

-John

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to john worthington

Hi John.  You have to hold shift while cold-starting PS once (that's it).  Once I answered the default question, I no longer needed to hold shift each time.  Same thing with the brush size - once I entered it manually, I was able to enter either way (thereafter), manual or with the slider.  But yes - I had to do both (the shift hold and the manual brush size entry) but only one time.

I've tested it a few times, since - even after rebooting - so now my PS works as it should, with no issues.

Regards,

Coach B.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to Community Help

WARNING  Liquify BUG found!

Liquify Filter Action Manager scripted access between versions CS6 13.0 and CS6 13.1 (and CC) has changed.  It may be faster, but from a person who develops Photoshop scripts for a living and has generated tools based on the ability to script the liquify filter to load pre-defined meshs.   Its a big problem.

Any Adobe people out there see this and could respond?

Scripting listener results when you load a previously saved mesh into the Liquify Filter in CS6 (version 13.0  x64) :

// =======================================================

var idLqFy = charIDToTypeID( "LqFy" );

var desc2 = new ActionDescriptor();

var idLqMe = charIDToTypeID( "LqMe" );

desc2.putString( idLqMe, """X:\example\exportMeshs\testMesh_10.msh""" );

executeAction( idLqFy, desc2, DialogModes.NO );

in CS6(version 13.1.2  x64)  and CC.

// =======================================================

var idLqFy = charIDToTypeID( "LqFy" );

executeAction( idLqFy, undefined, DialogModes.NO );

*No mesh call? 

What happens when you run the 13.0 code in the 13.1 or 14?

CS6 13.1.2 = CRASHES!! (buh bye)

CC 10.0 = Ignores called mesh, and always uses last loaded mesh. = fail.

Very disappointing.   Any chance to get that fixed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 9:16 PM   in reply to photospot_scripter

Scripting needs to work. I will look into this ASAP. Thank you for reporting it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points