Skip navigation
Coop DC
Currently Being Moderated

High resolution pictures included in pagemaker 6.5 to Indesign CS5

Aug 14, 2012 9:01 AM

Why does my included high resolution pictures in my solitary not linked 6.5 pagemaker files (without any links as there is nothing else than my finished pagemaker files on the cd's)  do not show high resolution pictures in the converted  Indesign file ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to Coop DC

Because when you open an PM file in ID the images must be linked. ID will not recognize embedded images.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Coop DC

Do you still have PM? If not, download the trial. Open the file, unembed the image, resave and it may get better, though don't expect a perfect conversion even then.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 4:05 AM   in reply to Coop DC

Since you have Win 7 Pro you have the XP virtual machine (or can install it). Have you tried that for PM6.5?

If that doesn't work, PM 7 does run on Win 7, so you can use the trial for 30 days without paying to unembed the images before converting to ID. While conversions won't be completely painless, they should usually be easier than starting from scratch, and in the long run you'll probably be happier in ID withthe new features and MUCH better stability.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter, you’re one of the “lucky” ones to get PM to install/run on Win 7.

Many users have not been quite so fortunate. I never bothered to try but quite a while ago I did install that virtual XP thing and found it to be a mess.

I think, though, that Coop DC has the right idea for very old files that only need small changes but I disagree with the assessment as far as the completeness of InDesign and its ability to convert PM files.

It does exactly what it was designed to do. The fact that the PM file was created poorly is not an indictment of either InDesign or PM, but of the person who created the file.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

The virtual PC is not a chunk of joy, for sure, but it can be a useful tool.

My point was'nt that a converted PM file would automatically be better than the original, it was that PM is a dead program and ID has many more features available, along with less crashing or other problems, so biting the bullet now would be worthwhile in the long run.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

No question about it!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to Coop DC

I'm not sure waht Bob meant by "poorly created," but I understand the old method, and its drawbacks. You can say ID ougt to read embedded images, but it doesn't, and that's not going to change. I have no idea why that decision was made, but I have a lot of confidence that if the task were easy it would have been implemented form the start.

That said, in any layout application there are generally several different ways to accomplish the same end result, and there are tradeoffs between them in terms of file size, interchangeability, and so forth. Two pages might look identical, but due to structural differences from choices made by the designer one may print without issue or convert to another format nearly flawlessly while the other may be next to useless after conversion or cause problems printing. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but not very helpful in a situation like this and all I can say is when making design choices, opting for the simplest solution is usually going to give you more trouble-free results in any application.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Embedding all of those images in a PM document was just as bad an idea (probably even worse) than doing so with an InDesign document.

Look at that poster yesterday with the 11 gigabyte INDD file.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 8:06 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

It was, however, the default option, and to criticise users for not knowing then that they would need the links now is a bit over the top, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

An alert would pop up saying it would add such and such amount to the file, are you sure you want to do this.

Saying no and linking was the very first thing I would taught…but we digress. The current situation is what it is and as you noted, will not change.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points