Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 64bit Illustrator - win, where to place scripts

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI all,

I just got CS6,  and I can't figure out where to place all of my scripts.  In CS4 version, once the scripts where in the correct folder, they would show up in the the scripts list,.  In CS6, I have to keep finding them.  Any help would be great.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

The following worked for me:

To include a script in the Scripts menu (File > Scripts), save the script in the Scripts folder, located in the

/lllustrator CC/Presets folder in your lllustrator CC installation directory. The script’s filename, minus

the file extension, appears in the Scripts menu.

Scripts that you add to the Scripts folder while Illustrator is running do not appear in the Scripts menu until

the next time you launch Illustrator.

The trick here is to go into the: Preset / en_US / Scrip

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from the scripting guide

Installing scripts in the Scripts menu

To include a script in the Scripts menu (File > Scripts), save the script in the Scripts folder, located in the

/Illustrator CS6/Presets folder in your Illustrator CS6 installation directory. The script’s filename,

minus the file extension, appears in the Scripts menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karleen1977,

We're you ever able to resolve this issue?

Carlos - For me, the issue isn't installing the scripts in the Script menu.  It's the fact that in CS6 Illustrator doesn't remember the location of the scripts when you use Cntrl+F12 or select "Other Scripts" from the scripts menu.  It reverts to the root C: drive every time I try to get to my "other scripts".  This is a new behavior in CS6, as CS5 always remembered the last folder location when selecting "Other Scripts". 

I need to be able to hit "Cntrl+F12" and have it remember to load the last folder I used for scripts, so I we don't have to waste a ton of time browsing to the folder location just to run a "time-saving" script. 

Anyone have any ideas with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So your applications are not on the C: drive? That's what AI expects and moving them to another drive can cause problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2013 Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry,

I'm not sure we're on the same page here.  Suppose my scripts are, in fact, on the C: drive, they are not just laying out there on the root directory of the C: drive.  So when I use the AI native keyboard shortcut "Ctrnl F12", a dialoge box opens that shows me the root of the c drive.  To find my scripts I get to start digging in to the depths of the folder heirarchy just to find the folder where the scripts are located.  Next time I need to run a script...hit Cntrl F12 again...and back to the beginning...it shows me a dialogue of the root of the C:drive...and here we go again.

This is a NEW ISSUE introduced in CS6.  In CS5, using the shortcut Cntrl F12 opens a dialoge box to the last folder used for scripts...every time.  Now CS6 won't remember the last location no matter what. 

You're telling me in the "upgraded" version of AI, that Illustrator now "expects" all of our scripts to be laying around on the root of the C: drive not in any sort of folder structure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2013 Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not what I meant. I don't have CS6 installed so haven't noticed the change you mention. I generally use File>Scripts within AI to access the scripts folder. With the change to 64bit it's possible that this is related to that change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2013 Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out, what actually happens is that it doesn't show the root of the "C" drive...but instead shows the root of the computer (listing all drives).  At least if it took me to a specific drive I could have a shortcut there to my script folder.  I checked in both the 64 bit version and the 32 bit, and both exhibit this same behavior.  Huge bummer and slow-down for our efficiency.  Every release Adobe manages to do something that slows us down in a major way.  With CS5 it was the broken "Transform" actions that never were fixed.  Haven't checked to see if those were fixed with CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here'e the problem.  Adobe moved from the "Standard open dialogue box" to a windows explorer ("my computer") dialog box.  Bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else who may read this in the future, I was able to work around (still adds 1 extra click) by adding my "scripts" folder as a "Favorite" in the Windows Explorer browser.  Now when I click Control+F12 and the dialog box opens "My Computer", I can just click on the Favorites link to the scripts folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the same page with you. It's very frusterating that it goes the "my computer" dialog every time. Thanks for the work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS5 There was a workaround to create a keyboard shortcut to a custom script by having a shortcut of the script on the desktop. (Windows 7)

How would I do that in Illustrator CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem still has not been fixed. I hope Adobe can get to this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following worked for me:

/lllustrator CC/Presets folder in your lllustrator CC installation directory. The script’s filename, minus

the file extension, appears in the Scripts menu.

Scripts that you add to the Scripts folder while Illustrator is running do not appear in the Scripts menu until

the next time you launch Illustrator.

The trick here is to go into the: Preset / en_US / Scripts.
NOT: Presets / Scripting / Sample Scripts / JavaScript... a.s.o. as would have seemed appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too. Thanks guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2015 Mar 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!   I could not understand why Presets\scripts wasn't working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed this as a problem in the past but didn't really give it much thought. But it brings up a great question. I have two solutions. If you install Illustrator to a different drive, essentially making your Preset folder location other than where Illustrator expects to find it, make a new set of folders similar to this: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CC 2017\Presets\en_US\Scripts

Place your scripts in that folder and Illustrator should find them straight off. They will be in your Scripts menu as well, of course after a restart.

Another option is to run an Add-on that can be found in https://creative.adobe.com/addons called ScripshonTrees. It is a very useful tool that shows you window with all the scripts in the Preset folder, or any folder you specify. You can then double click the script in the window to run the script. Very efficient. Although it is only designed for CC, but also works for Photoshop, Premiere, After Affects and InDesign. Oh, and it's live. If you place a script in the folder it's watching, it'll show up in the window allowing you to click on it right away and use. Usually Illustrator needs to be restated to find scripts placed in the Presets folder.

Hope this helped.

MichaelK ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, the Scripts folder for a default english/US installation of CC 2015 would be located at:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CC 2015\Presets\en_US\Scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had 2 subfolders with scripts that came with adobe in them -  so  i just tried both and amazingly the GB one worked, even though I installed the ES (english USA  version  - but the one folder that worked was this one great britain one

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64bit)\Presets\en_GB\Scripts

now i can see all scripts that I copy to that location - they automatically load under FILE/SCRIPTS  - so no looking for folders at all.

they did NOT  display when I copied the same scripts to this folder (en_ES)

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64bit)\Presets\en_ES\Scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The US English version should be in (en_US) not (en_ES).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please not that the folder structure of your Adobe CS6 installation is displayed in your local system language in Windows Explorer, even though when you mark the adress it is in english. Also the "en_US" part changes.

For Example:

Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Presets\de_DE\Skripten

Shown as:

Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Vorlagen\de_DE\Skripten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines