Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 64bit Illustrator - win, where to place scripts

Aug 14, 2012 8:01 AM

HI all,

I just got CS6,  and I can't figure out where to place all of my scripts.  In CS4 version, once the scripts where in the correct folder, they would show up in the the scripts list,.  In CS6, I have to keep finding them.  Any help would be great.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Karleen1977

from the scripting guide

Installing scripts in the Scripts menu

To include a script in the Scripts menu (File > Scripts), save the script in the Scripts folder, located in the

/Illustrator CS6/Presets folder in your Illustrator CS6 installation directory. The script’s filename,

minus the file extension, appears in the Scripts menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Karleen1977,

We're you ever able to resolve this issue?

Carlos - For me, the issue isn't installing the scripts in the Script menu.  It's the fact that in CS6 Illustrator doesn't remember the location of the scripts when you use Cntrl+F12 or select "Other Scripts" from the scripts menu.  It reverts to the root C: drive every time I try to get to my "other scripts".  This is a new behavior in CS6, as CS5 always remembered the last folder location when selecting "Other Scripts". 

I need to be able to hit "Cntrl+F12" and have it remember to load the last folder I used for scripts, so I we don't have to waste a ton of time browsing to the folder location just to run a "time-saving" script. 

Anyone have any ideas with this?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to timlogochair

So your applications are not on the C: drive? That's what AI expects and moving them to another drive can cause problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

In CS5 There was a workaround to create a keyboard shortcut to a custom script by having a shortcut of the script on the desktop. (Windows 7)

How would I do that in Illustrator CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 1:36 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Larry,

I'm not sure we're on the same page here.  Suppose my scripts are, in fact, on the C: drive, they are not just laying out there on the root directory of the C: drive.  So when I use the AI native keyboard shortcut "Ctrnl F12", a dialoge box opens that shows me the root of the c drive.  To find my scripts I get to start digging in to the depths of the folder heirarchy just to find the folder where the scripts are located.  Next time I need to run a script...hit Cntrl F12 again...and back to the beginning...it shows me a dialogue of the root of the C:drive...and here we go again.

This is a NEW ISSUE introduced in CS6.  In CS5, using the shortcut Cntrl F12 opens a dialoge box to the last folder used for scripts...every time.  Now CS6 won't remember the last location no matter what. 

You're telling me in the "upgraded" version of AI, that Illustrator now "expects" all of our scripts to be laying around on the root of the C: drive not in any sort of folder structure?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 4:12 PM   in reply to timlogochair

No, that's not what I meant. I don't have CS6 installed so haven't noticed the change you mention. I generally use File>Scripts within AI to access the scripts folder. With the change to 64bit it's possible that this is related to that change.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 6:16 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Turns out, what actually happens is that it doesn't show the root of the "C" drive...but instead shows the root of the computer (listing all drives).  At least if it took me to a specific drive I could have a shortcut there to my script folder.  I checked in both the 64 bit version and the 32 bit, and both exhibit this same behavior.  Huge bummer and slow-down for our efficiency.  Every release Adobe manages to do something that slows us down in a major way.  With CS5 it was the broken "Transform" actions that never were fixed.  Haven't checked to see if those were fixed with CS6

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to timlogochair

Here'e the problem.  Adobe moved from the "Standard open dialogue box" to a windows explorer ("my computer") dialog box.  Bummer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 6:25 AM   in reply to timlogochair

For anyone else who may read this in the future, I was able to work around (still adds 1 extra click) by adding my "scripts" folder as a "Favorite" in the Windows Explorer browser.  Now when I click Control+F12 and the dialog box opens "My Computer", I can just click on the Favorites link to the scripts folder.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to timlogochair

I'm on the same page with you. It's very frusterating that it goes the "my computer" dialog every time. Thanks for the work around.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to Karleen1977

This problem still has not been fixed. I hope Adobe can get to this soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to Klekampcd

The following worked for me:

To include a script in the Scripts menu (File > Scripts), save the script in the Scripts folder, located in the

/lllustrator CC/Presets folder in your lllustrator CC installation directory. The script’s filename, minus

the file extension, appears in the Scripts menu.

Scripts that you add to the Scripts folder while Illustrator is running do not appear in the Scripts menu until

the next time you launch Illustrator.

The trick here is to go into the: Preset / en_US / Scripts.
    NOT: Presets / Scripting / Sample Scripts / JavaScript... a.s.o. as would have seemed appropriate.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points