Skip navigation
bama450r
Currently Being Moderated

Vertical move in selection tool reversed?

Aug 14, 2012 8:36 AM

With an object selected, I double click the black selection arrow and key-in a value, whether it's positive or negative the object moves opposite of what it should.  (-1mm keyed in, object moves 1mm up).  Is this a bug in CS6, or some kind of setting?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to bama450r

bama,

They have reversed the Y axis. But you can unreverse it and get back to what you are used to.

To change the ruler origin (and direction of the Y axis) in CS5 to be the same as in CS4 and earlier, you may:

A) Install and run the script in the OP of this thread,http://forums.adobe.com/thread/890507?tstart=30

or

B) Manually change the relevant preference settings as follows:

0) Close down Illy (you can only change the preference file with Illy closed);

1) Find and open the AIPrefs (Win speak) or Adobe Illustrator Prefs (Mac speak) file withe a text editor like Notepad or TextEdit; the preference file is a (hidden) file in the (hidden) folder Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings

2): Find and change the following two bits of code:

/isRulerOriginTopLeft 1 >>> /isRulerOriginTopLeft 0 (change 1 to 0)

/isRulerIn4thQuad 1 >>> /isRulerIn4thQuad 0 (change 1 to 0)

This is a global change so you only have to do it once (just as you can undo it once).

You may find the folder as described in Move the folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to bama450r

You are welcome, bama.

The change happened in CS5.

the object moves opposite of what it should

Many agree, and there have been some threads with the expression of the hope that the direction will at least be optional, and some joking about it, such as this one:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3682626#3682626

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Indeed Jacob, puts the coordinate system back to the first quarter. On the visual page, that is... Scripting is another story.. We're using CS5.1 and it seems the scripting coordinate system still stays in the fourth quarter.

Javascript:

var rect = artLayer.pathItems.rectangle( 0, 0, 72, 216 );

... puts the rectangle beneath the page

Any suggestions on the scripting front?

Thx

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 5:21 AM   in reply to BartGoor

BartGoor,

I believe this is one for Carlos.

Carlos?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to BartGoor

Javascript:

var rect = artLayer.pathItems.rectangle( 0, 0, 72, 216 );

... puts the rectangle beneath the page

Thx

where were you expecting the rectangle to land? you're placing it at the origin (0, 0), that is, the top left corner of the rectangle is at the origin, it obviously seems that the rectangle is in the 4th quadrant.

change the x coordinate to something larger than the width of rectangle and change the y coordinate to something larger than the height and the rectangle will land completely in the first quadrant.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to BartGoor

Ruler Origin is the first item explained in the Changes In CS5 section of the Introduction chapter of the Illustrator CS5 Scripting Guide.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 3:31 PM   in reply to JETalmage

Thank you for the replies, Jacob and Carlos.

I guess we users will have to come up with some smart sollutions to keep things easy to manage.

@Carlos, thank you for the clear script/UI you provided in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/890507?tstart=30

There's something else I missed out on earlier though... something that's a bit odd in the scripting of the graphical elements... (see: Adobe Illustrator CS5 Scripting Reference: Javascript)

jsx:

activeDocument.pathItems.rectangle( TOP, LEFT, WIDTH, HEIGHT [, reversed] )

I would have preferred rectangle(x, y, width, height) - 'reversed' just flips the rectangle

So by making some custom object we could do the folowing:

jsx: ----

var bg = {} // my namespace

bg.grElement = {

left: 50,

bottom: 100,

width: 225,

height: 75,

doc: app.activeDocument,

shape: null,

render: function() {

var homeLayer = this.doc.layers.add();

this.shape = homeLayer.pathItems.rectangle(   this.bottom + this.height,

this.left,

this.width,

this.height   );

}

}

bg.grElement.render();

---- end jsx

If we, for some reason, wouldn't like to change the coordinate system to the first quadrant, there's the reversing of the Y axis to take into account. This would be directed 1.by the height of the document and 2.by the knowledge that in our scripting positive Y values go up (but are actually negative values on the document) - Getting confused? I surely am... Let's focus and try...

jsx:

this.shape = homeLayer.pathItems.rectangle(  

(this.doc.height - (this.bottom + this.height) )*-1,

this.left,

this.width,

this.height  );

Seems to work but I'll have to test on other shapes.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:44 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Neither the script nor the Prefs file change seem to work with CS6 version 16.0.4. I'd be interested to know if this is just me or whether the recent update broke the script.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points