Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I create a transparent stroke above other shapes?

Aug 14, 2012 8:31 PM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #transparent #stroke

Hello

I have the following shape:

shape1.jpg

What I'm trying to do is give the blue box a transparent stroke that will "cut through" the red boxes and show the background underneath, whatever that may be ...white, another color, or a photo.

I can easily achieve this when I give it a white stroke. It'll look like this:

shape2.jpg

When I change to a background color other than white or even a photo however, I end up with this problem:

shape3.jpg

How do I make it so that I have a transparent border (not white) around the blue box? Which effectively cuts a "transparent stroke" (space) between the parts where the blue and red boxes intersect?

Thank you very much for any advice I've been trying to get this done for days without success, so you're my last hope!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2012 9:32 PM   in reply to shannont99

Window>Appearence or shift-F6. Once the appearence panel is open, Twirl down the icon next to the word Stroke, Click Opacity and adjust it to your hearts desire...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 12:10 AM   in reply to shannont99

1. Select the blue rectangle with the white stroke, then do as Silkrooster suggests to set the stroke's opacity to 0. The white stroke will disappear.

2. Select all three rectangles and group them.

3. With the group selected, the Appearance panel should show:

Group

Contents

Opacity

Click on Opacity. In the box that opens, click the box next to Knockout Group until the check/tick mark appears. If the dash appears, click again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to shannont99

You're welcome.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 8:16 PM   in reply to tromboniator

I have been trying to figure this out for so long! thank you Although I have one problem, when i import the file as an eps into my indesign document the whote lines appear again. Help! :/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 8:45 AM   in reply to tahlia russell

Don't use EPS. This file format doesn't support transparency. You will have to use AI (with PDF content enabled) or PDF to get the transparency into ID.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points