Skip navigation
hansinke
Currently Being Moderated

Description in Radiobutton fields are not exported properly to PDF

Aug 16, 2012 4:33 AM

Tags: #acrobat #pdf #indesign #cs6 #tooltip #radiobutton

I can make a radiobutton question in Indesign; Example: Gender with the answers Female / Male and the descriptions Are you a female? Are you a male?

After exporting only the Description of the first field is shown: So for both choices I am getting Are you a female? shown in the tooltip. Of course this does not work to get an accessible PDF. And correcting in Acrobat is not fine...

I think this is a bug that should be fixed. Or is there a workaround?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 4:36 AM   in reply to hansinke

Please give Button value for different radio buttons to identify them uniquely.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to hansinke

The tooltip comes from the Description field. In the screen captures below, there are two radio buttons, one for Yes and one for No.

The buttons have the same name. But they have both different export values and descriptions. It's the descriptions that generate the tooltip.

Yes Button.jpg

No Button.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to hansinke

You're correct in the way it arrives in the PDF. But I don't think it's InDesign's fault.

It appears to be a "feature" of Acrobat and PDF. A radio button cannot have a different tooltip for each state.

Even if I edit the buttons in Acrobat with the Select Object tool, it won't let me have different tooltips for the two states.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 8:34 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Radio buttons in a group cannot have individual tool tips. Incase you give different descriptions for individual radios in a group in ID, only the description of radio that was created first will correspond to the tool tip in Acrobat.

The button value identifies radio buttons in a group and if you 'read out loud'  in reader, it will read the button value of each radio button and also tell it's state.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 9:57 PM   in reply to hansinke

I could not find any radio button in this PDF. There are many check boxes that have been grouped using data binding in Life cycle. The tool tips are given in a separate tab for accessibility.

I agree that different tool tips for each would be helpful but I dont think it is currently possible in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points