Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Printing to PDF from Photoshop

Aug 16, 2012 7:06 AM

I'm having an issue when printing to PFD from Photoshop. My image size is 7" x 10" and when I view it in the print preview window (I add crop marks) it looks fine printing to 8.5" x 11". Once printed, the image shrinks to about 1/10 the size and is in the upper left hand corner of the letter sized sheet. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to Markojett

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

As per your own words:

printing to PFD from Photoshop

What is it that you are trying to achieve this way that saving the file as a normal "Photoshop PDF" couldn't give you? The image shrinks because you have your DPI and paper settings wrong in the Acrobat dialog, but really, why, why, why even try it that way?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Markojett

you can import the image to illustrator or indesign and save it that way.

heres a work around:

Photoshop certainly does allow bleed. Just set up your canvas to allow for the amount of bleed you want. For example, if you want to print on 8.5x11 with full bleed and you want to allow .25 inc for bleed, set your canvas size to 9x11.5

Then when you are ready to save the file to transfer to the printer you will need to do the following....

1) Obtain a PDF Printer Driver - I use CutePDF Writer

2) Flatten your image (remember to save a copy as another name before you flatten or you will lose all your layers!)

3) Select Print (you will be printing to disk, not to a printer. End result is to create a print ready file on your disc for transfer to your pre-press shop)

4) In settings select OUTPUT. Select "corner cropmarks"

You will also need to set the "Bleed" amount. It should be equal to your artboard size minus your print size.

-janelle

Finally, and this is important, you will need to change the Page Setup in your printer driver settings to match your artboard size. Choose "Custom Postscript Page" and change the settings from letter (the default) to custom and input your artboard dimensions (example, if your artboard is 9.5x12 enter that)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points