Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I make a flash file work as an epub or online catalog? buttons wont work...

Aug 17, 2012 5:26 AM

Tags: #illustrator #photoshop #cs5 #catalog #adobe #flash #html #swf #ipad #buttons #indesign #ebooks #epub #online #wallaby

Hello I am trying to make an epub and/or an online catalog for my business  so people can open them up on an Ipad. If someone could possibly tell me the steps to how to do this, that would be really awesome. I have already made the pages in photoshop and Illustrator CS5 and arranged them in InDesign CS5 then exported them to Flash to create the buttons to switch pages, then converted to an html file using wallaby technologies, but when I try opening it up in the html file the buttons will not work or even show up. I even tried switching the buttons to ones I have made in Illustrator and it still didn't work. It works fine when I am opening it up the swf file on my computer but I cant send the swf file for some reason. And my objective is to send this online catalog out by mail and emails. If someone could please help me accomplish this, I would much appreciate this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to HarrieCarrie

Ah.. I didn't see you remade this post. I'll just say the jist. For publications that just want to produce something devices can read, focus on the publication and worry about the tech behind it, this product is made for you (works with InDesign, Illustrator, etc):

http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-publishing-suite-family.html

A multitude of devices and mediums can then read your published content.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 23, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to HarrieCarrie

With Flash CS5.5+ you can always make a full mobile app from soup to nuts. You'd need to pick your target devices and take it from there. The process of making the e-zine app is different depending on the devices you want to target and while a good portion of the process is the same for all devices, there's no magic button to take the content and make it work on all devices.

Without going the digital publishing suite way which will do all the technical work for you, you're going to need to spruce up on programming, enough to make an app. I haven't done publishing since Quark was the big dog on the block so unfortunately I can't tell you how much of the work Flash and InDesign will do automatically, if any at all. I'm unaware of the level of integration, if any at all. If I were to wager a guess, I'd say you'd only be able to carry over content (images, copy, etc) but you'd need to build your magazine/book app from the ground up to use that content yourself. That's why I recommended the link above. It does that for you and lets you focus on the content.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points