Aug 17, 2012 9:36 AM

Tags: #3d #after_effects #render #cs6 #ray-trace #5070

I have a Mac Pro 2 x 2.93GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, OSX 10.7.4

64GB Memory

Nvidia Quadro 4800FX

CUDA driver 5.0.17

GPU Driver 1.3.4.0 (270.00.00f06)

I have a 1920 x 1080 comp with about 50 layers

GPU-accelerated Ray-trace bombs (error 5070 failed to initialize) pretty much every time. Works at 1/2 res semi-consistently.

I am wondering if this $1000 Nvidia card is defective.

Here's the weird thing. Every time I boot AE, the CUDA current usable memory (in the GPU information preference panel) seems to drop. The Quadro has 1.5GB max usable memory, but I've seen the current usable memory (at application launch) drop as low as 250MB, with no other apps running.

This is a clasic snafu of is it a CS6 problem or an Nvidia problem. I bought the card because of the massive hyping on the Adobe site. Please advise as to whether I should:

- re-install AE CS6

- attempt to exchange the Nvidia card

Thanks!

-Eric Kreidler

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to ekreidler

I bought the card because of the massive hyping on the Adobe site.

Well, that's all it is. You have been marketing-brainwashed. Anyway, before writing off the card or AE, do one of the following:

• install Windows via Bootcamp and verify that the card works there with the trial of AE CS6
    • try it in an older version of AE (if you have none, download the trials using methods described here: Direct Download Links for Adobe Software)
    • run the card with OpenGL/ CUDA heavy plug-ins (Sapphire, Element, Magic Bullet)

If all these work without a hitch, then this would almost 100% exclude a defunct card and rather point to OSX/ driver snafu, as you put it...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to ekreidler

If the card as such "works" on a very basic level, then this is a driver issue and installing/ using older versions or certain hardware accelerated plug-ins would at least allow you to verify that memory behavior. That's all I'm saying. If there's no driver update/ Beta driver from NVidia that fixes this, then there's nothing you can do I'm afraid.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points