Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I unlock image dimensions

Aug 17, 2012 3:38 PM

Somehow my pixel dimensions and document dimensions have become locked and when I try to crop an image the cropped dimensions remain in the same proportions of width to height as the original. There are little symbols and brackets to the right of both pixels and inches.  I don't know how to remove these.  I am using an antiquated version of Photoshop Elements  -  version 2.0 on a Mac running 10.4.11. 

2012-08-17 05.30.13 pm.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to erselking

"Image Size" never crops an image. It can be used to either scale uniformly, stretch, or simply change the Resolution (ppi) tag of the document without changing any pixels.

When Constrain Proportions is enabled, as it is in your image, the chain link icons appear, and the image will be scaled uniformly (i.e. it will keep the same proportions).

Clear the Constrain Proportions box to be able to stretch the image.

To actually crop, i.e. remove top/bottom/left/right part of the image use the Crop Tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to erselking

erselking wrote:

There are little symbols and brackets to the right of both pixels and inches.  I don't know how to remove these.

Uncheck the box marked "Constrain Proportions"

But you're in the wrong dialogue box for cropping.

Use the Crop tool instead.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,486 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to erselking

As best I recall, your Crop Tool has its own little boxes for sizes at the top in the options area when you're using it.  Clear THOSE (there's even a [Clear] button) to get rid of the aspect ratio lock there.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to erselking

erselking wrote:

... Yes, unchecking Constrain Proportions makes the symbols disappear but my cropping problem remains....

That Image Size dialogue you showed has nothing to do with cropping.

You must be using a fixed proportion in the Crop Tool instead of unconstrained. I think Noel's advice will be the solution.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points