Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Need ability to lock audio / video track

Aug 17, 2012 5:44 PM

I am still using PE4, relatively happily except for one thing -- the program's inability to lock the audio or video track(s) so changes to the other don't affect it. I have several short projects where the audio is one song/tune, about 3 minutes. I unlink audio and video at the start. At no point in the editing do I want to alter the audio track, but moving video clips breaks it, creates gaps, and requires constant reassembling. (I know I can export the audio track and bring it back in whole nd unaltered, but that step shouldn't be necessary, and wouldn't be if I could simply lock the audio track.)

This inability is driving me to consider buying Premiere Pro or getting a Mac and learning Final Cut Pro. Financially, this is a big step. Before I take the plunge -- Does any later version of Premiere Elements offer the abilty to lock the audio (or video) track so changes in the other medium don't alter it?

jbcooke

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to jbcooke

Hold down the Ctrl key (or the Cmd key on a Mac) when you add or remove clips from your timeline and all of the other clips on the timeline will remain in position.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to jbcooke

No. But holding down the Ctrl key when you add a new clip will allow you to add a new clip without affecting the positions of the other clips on the timeline.

If you're still seeing a gap when you add a new clip, you're doing something wrong. Holding down the Ctrl clip overrides the ripple function.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to jbcooke

Hi

Sorry , This feature was not avalable in Premiere Elements 4

Thanks

Anish

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to jbcooke

As Track Locking has never been a part of PrE (maybe in PrE 11?), I always do things manually. I first Select all Clips to the right of where I wish to add a Clip, if the Ctrl "Ripple Edit" will not do what I want, then add the new Clip, and finally Select and Move all Clips (Audio & Video) from the right, to butt up.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 6:53 PM   in reply to jbcooke

JB,

It looks like you are replying via e-mail, and your text is not being added. This happens with certain e-mail clients, with this forum.

Can you please access the forums via the Internet and a browser, as your last two replies did not come in.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to jbcooke

Steve Grisetti (8/20) suggested I try Ctrl (ripple-edit), but it turns out this feature isn't included in PE4, as Anish pointed out (8/22). My reply to him doesn't appear above. I asked him in what later version of PE the Ctrl (ripple-edit) feature was added.

The default insertion of a Clip, in PrE (including version 4) is to Ripple (move all Clips to the right of the insertion Point to accommodate the new Clip. The Ctrl key, turns that into an Insert Edit, replacing any Frames, necessary to accommodate the new Clip. This is the opposite default behavior in PrPro, where the Ctrl key allows all Clips to the right to move the required Duration. I think that there might be some confusion here.

is it possible to upgrade to an earlier version, later than 4 but earlier than 10 that is better?

From Adobe, and most certified resellers, PrE 10, or the upcoming PrE 11, will be all that is available. However, one can often find legit earlier versions of PrE on sites, like eBay. Making sure that they ARE legit, can be a bit tough, however.

Many users feel that PrE 10 is one of the best versions yet. I have not seen any reviews of the upcoming PrE 11, so cannot comment on it. It should be released within 11 to 20 days, if history holds. Usually, about this time, before a release, several publications issue reviews of the soon to be released versions, so they should be showing up very soon.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points