Skip navigation
Dan 101
Currently Being Moderated

Reduced DVD image size with HD to SD footage in Encore

Aug 20, 2012 8:29 AM

Tags: #cs5 #image #size #adobe #display #encore #dvd #media #encoder #ratio #aspect

Using CS5, when I encode an SD sequence from Premiere to Encore, all works well.  When I downconvert an HD project through AME it looks fine and shows full screen in Encore, but when I burn a DVD and play it, I get a reduced size image in the center of the screen.

I'm shooting 1080 24p with a Panasonic HPX170 camcorder.  I create Microsoft AVI files using On Location.

I use a Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max display unit, so I'm using  these Premiere project settings: 

Matrox HD

1990x1080

1080p@23.98fps

I'm exporting the Premiere timeline using the recommended settings in the Jeff Bellune CS4 tutorial for converting Premiere HD footage to SD for DVD burning

FORMAT: MPEG2-DVD

PRESET NTSC 23.976p Widescreen High Quality

VBR 2 PASS

Maximum Render Quality

Min bit rate 2.8 

Target bit rate 7

Max bit rate 8

GOP SETTINGS  M frames 3  N frames12

Audio 48 kh PCM 16 bits

Multiplexer NONE

When I render files and build a project with Encore, the timeline and menu image appears full screen in the Encore monitor.

When I burn the project to DVD, it displays properly in letterbox on a standard def tv.

But, when I play the DVD on an HDTV, I get a great looking picture in proper aspect ratio, but it displays at about 3/4 size in the center of the screen with black surrounding it.  I can change the display setting on the HDTV to 'Zoom" and fill the screen with the picture without distortion.

I have the same issue creating footage at 1080i 60 fps and 1080p 30 fps and building projects with appropriate settings in Premiere and Encore.

I'm wondering if I'm missing a setting in AME or Encore. I thought I'd followed Jeff Bellune's excellent instructions on HD to SD settings in AME to the letter.

I'd like to create DVDs that will play full screen on HDTVs and in letterbox on standard def TVs without viewers having to change the settings on their HDTVs.

FYI, I'm shooting in HD, partially to get really clean keys during the edit, using the Ultra keyer in Premiere. This works great.

Thanks for any assistance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to Dan 101

It sounds like you have a 4:3 frame into which the 16:9 video has been placed.  So the letterboxing is part of the full-frame 4:3 image.  If you display this letterboxed 4:3 frame on a 16:9 TV, you'll get a display that is both letterboxed and pillarboxed -- which is what you're seeing.

Go through the interpret footage dialog in Pr and in En, go though all of your sequence settings and your export settings in Pr, and make sure that the correct PAR is in use in all places.

Also, set the Program Monitor in Pr, as well as the Monitor panel in En, to 100% instead of the default "Fit".  That may give you a hint as to where the PAR is getting set incorrectly.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to Dan 101

Hi Dan,

All good information.  Thanks.  Let us know how the reset to 1.5 works.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to Dan 101

When I checked the monitor at 100% it zoomed in to a close-up of the middle of the image, compared to a full-screen image in “fit.”

This is expected.  Setting the monitor to 100% removes any scaling that Pr does to make the big image fit in the little monitor.  Theoretically it shouldn't matter, but I want to eliminate as many variables as possible.  So, maximize the Program Monitor (the ` or ~ key) and use the scroll bars, if necessary, to examine the image from side to side and top to bottom.  Does it appear full frame and undistorted?  If not, then either your sequence settings are incorrect or Pr is not interpreting the footage correctly.

Just noticed that the clip in Adobe is listed as 1280 x 1080

If the PAR is set to 1.5, then that is correct for DVCProHD footage.  Your sequence must match -- make sure that it does.

On export from Pr, you can safely choose the MPEG2 DVD preset for NTSC widescreen: 720x480 with a PAR of 1.2121.  You should get a full-screen, widescreen Output image, with thin black bars on the sides.  Crop the Source image by 12 -14 pixels top and bottom to get rid of the black bars.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 8:37 PM   in reply to Dan 101

I would check a) to make sure the DVD players are set to the 16:9 TV setting and b) that the TV is set correctly for the DVD output. These are unlikely to be upscaling players.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to Dan 101

I'd still like to find settings that will build a DVD that can be played by viewers who don't know how to change settings on DVD players or televisions.  I'd love my DVD disk to play the same way a commercial DVD disk plays a movie full-screen with no adjustments to the DVD player.

The commercial disk will also look wrong if the settings are wrong.

That would be a test as to whether you have your disk built right: put a commercial disk (SD widescreen) into the same DVD player/HDTV combination you have and see what you get.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to Dan 101

I'd still like to find settings that will build a DVD that can be played by viewers who don't know how to change settings on DVD players or televisions.  I'd love my DVD disk to play the same way a commercial DVD disk plays a movie full-screen with no adjustments to the DVD player.

Not possible.  Even commercial/Hollywood discs are subject to being displayed incorrectly by users who can't or won't set up their players and televisions correctly.  For example, insert an anamorphic widescreen DVD into the DVD player and tell the DVD player that the TV is 4:3 (even though it's a 16:9 HDTV).  Then cycle the TV through all of its ratio settings; you'll see quite an array of distortions and image sizes, only one of which is the correct ratio and image size. 

That said, if commercial discs display properly using whatever settings you currently have, then a properly authored widescreen DVD from En should display correctly as well.  That 2 BD players (which assume a 16:9 TV by default) displayed it correctly further indicates the settings on the DVD players are wrong.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to Dan 101

Thanks for reporting on your test.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status