Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
tolerances
Currently Being Moderated

converting CMYK doc to RGB, one page behaving odd

Aug 21, 2012 2:22 AM

Tags: #cs5 #cmyk #rgb #mac #layout #page

I've got a problem spent the last two days trying to problem solve....

I have a print doc (CMYK) using black and a spot colour.

I then need a web version of the same material, in a different layout, so I've copied the pages to a web doc (RGB).

This copying brings the spot into the RGB doc.

So after copying I delete spot from swatch and assign a standard RGB value.

This changes all the spot colours to the RGB value as expected.

Everything looks right in InDesign, after exporting the PDF the first 10 pages show the colour correctly, then the last page only is way off the correct colour. It looks correct in InDesign and everything is RGB.

Anyone know what's going on?

Why is just one page being weird?

I've tried:

- added new material to the problem page and assigned the RGB colour, appear correct InDesign, PDF way off

- duplicating an okay page, copying in the new material.

any advice would be really apprecited!

CS5.5, mac

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 21, 2012 4:11 AM   in reply to tolerances

I would also be inclined to use the ink manager to alias your spot color to a new RGB swatch rather than redefine it, particualrly if it is standard named color from one of the matching systems. Redefining colors like that can come back to to haunt you in later years if you revisit the job and forget that's what you did.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,134 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 21, 2012 5:30 AM   in reply to tolerances

I have a print doc (CMYK) using black and a spot colour.

I then need a web version of the same material, in a different layout, so I've copied the pages to a web doc (RGB).

While ID does give you the option to create Web or Print documents, there isn't a document color space the way there is in Illustrator—if you make a new document's intent Web its intitial swatches and transparency space is RGB, but if you paste in CMYK or lab colored objects they remain unchanged and are not converted to RGB.

You shouldn't need to make separate documents for web and print unless you need a different aspect ratio. If you make sure your spot colors are displaying as Lab (see Ink Manager) and export via the PDF/X-4 preset all color spaces and profiles will be exported unchanged and will view correctly in any modern browser. Here's a PDF/X-4 with a few dozen out-of-gamut spots, and an RGB and CMYK image viewed in Chrome:

Screen shot 2012-08-21 at 8.25.43 AM.png

Here's the example's address. PDF/X-4 is designed to work for both print and screen:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PDFX-4.pdf

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,134 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 21, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to tolerances

Print used a neon spot, web needed RGB using RGB values.

PDF documents can contain profiled CMYK, RGB, Lab or grayscale objects and current browser/PDF plugins can accurately display the color spaces. You can convert to RGB, but it's not necessary. If you convert a neon Pantone color to RGB (sRGB?) it will be forced into that RGB's space. If you leave it as Lab it will display more accurately on wider gamut displays.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to tolerances

Do you know what the ink manager is and how it works? You can output a spot color as anything you like without cahnging the actual definition.

In the example below the frame is filled with Pantone 386c, a bright yellow. I created a new Spot color in RGB mode that is a salmony color, then in Ink manager I first aliased the Panton to the new swatch, then clicked the icon next to the new swatch to output that color as process (and the process equivalent is RGB in this case). If there are no Spots that actually need to be printed, you can also just click the All Spots to Process box instread of doing them individually.

Ink Manager Spot to RGB 1.png

In normal view you don't see the reult of the aliasing, but turn on overprint preview and here's the same frame:

Ink Manager Spot to RGB 2.png

As you can see in the screen shot the frame is still selected and filled with the Pantone yellow, and all that is necessary to output to press is to remove the alias.

Yes, this seems like mare work than redefining the color, but if you ever go for a reprint and forget that you made a definition change you'll be in for an expensive shock.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

In addition, if your neon yellow was in an imported image you might not be able to redfine the swatch, but the ink manager will still work

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to tolerances

You should watch your atitude if you expect others to help you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points