Skip navigation
Deadpool1369
Currently Being Moderated

Window Resizing in CS6

Aug 21, 2012 11:47 AM

I'm having an issue with Illustrator CS6 resizing my UI window every time I open a file externally (double clicking on the file, rather than opening through the Illustrator open file menu). I prefer to keep my UI maximized so this is quite annoying having to maximize again every time I open a file this way. Is there a setting somewhere doing this or some way to fix it? Or is this a bug I have to deal with until an update can be made? I'm running Windows 7 Pro on a 32bit laptop, just recently upgraded from CS5.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 14, 2012 10:15 PM   in reply to Deadpool1369

Same here

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 5:59 PM   in reply to dv8kiwi

Me too. This just recently started happening.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 6:41 PM   in reply to Deadpool1369

@Deadpool1369, try resetting the preferences by holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift and launch Ai. Select yes from the dialog that asks to trash preferences file.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to PrintFusion45

Just tried that. Still does it for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to Dohnutt

@Dohnutt, Click and drag the document window to the inside edges of the application panel to see a blue area highlight around the application panel and then release the mouse. Then save your workspace giving it a new name. Then restart Ai.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to PrintFusion45

Okay, I did that. But just so you realize: It's not the document window that is resized. It's the entire program window. Like Illustrator is taken out of maximized mode and into windowed mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 7:16 PM   in reply to Dohnutt

Also, that solution didn't work. Forgot to say that lol

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 4:57 PM   in reply to Dohnutt

Yes, I also tried shnath's suggestions no no avail (apart from maximising the document panel inside the application panel because it already is, and it seems to be irrelevant to the problem) 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 1:05 AM   in reply to dv8kiwi

I have got the same problem, running win7 64. The program window resizes if I open a file from Explorer (Doubleclick). Open File from Menu works fine, no resizing. That is really annoying, is there still no solution for this problem? Problem occures on Workstation and Notebook. :-(
    I used to run CS4, CS5 before... everything worked fine in good old days.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 5:45 AM   in reply to mad*

I haven't found a solution, unfortunately. Very annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to Dohnutt

check this post, see it if helps

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4801910#4801910

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

I had never had that problem in earlier versions. It seems as there is no fix for this though

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Dohnutt

Jepp. First thing to hate is the new Trace-Function (ever tried to verctoize a QR-Code with it?... inkscape does a much better job in this case) and second thing is the rauto-resizing window. If Adobe was around the corner I.... hey they are in Munich.... time to pass by .. ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 8:08 PM   in reply to Deadpool1369

Glad to here others a having this problem too.. But so far after a few months i havent found a solution either.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to Soxizm

This is a cosmetic bug in Illustrator that is being monitored. Let's hope for a fix in the future releases of Illustrator.

Soxizm wrote:

Glad to here others a having this problem too.. But so far after a few months i havent found a solution either.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to PrintFusion45

cosmetic? I bought software for hundreds of Euros an click right into the wrong programm (ID, PS, AE...) EVERY f*** day just because that window is resizing. That is totally annoying! It took me hours to find out if I can solve that problem. I can't. But you guys could and call it cosmetic? Wanna kiddin' me? You are monitoring? Respect! :-((

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 7:06 AM   in reply to PrintFusion45

This bug is extremely annoying. Every time you choose to Edit in Illustrator from Photoshop or Indesign, the Illustrator window resizes.  Sometimes the program crashes with an error message saying that the application window was to small to open the program. Why not fix it? Why call for hope if you are sitting at Adobe. You should DO something about it, not pray.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 9:48 PM   in reply to Andrej Balaz

check here for a workaround script

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1171457

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to PrintFusion45

When I run an action on a serie of files illustrator sometimes shrinks the window step by step until it is so small that I get a error saying something like, couldnt open the file because the window is to small, try to enlarge it.

So this is a real bug, not only cosmetic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to Daniel Engblom

Yes, I've begun to have this issue. Started as the first post mentions--just resizing like you're clicking the Restore Down button... but in the last few days it's starting having that error message, and will not open at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 3:39 PM   in reply to laurel_viral

I think it might be a graphics card issue, because everything worked fine until I had my graphics card updated... I believe it is a Windows problem, rather than an Adobe problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2014 10:46 AM   in reply to Deadpool1369

I was searching for answers too - this isn't the best situation for working big projects... the only work around I've found is that if you minimize your screen to say half size it will allow you to open documents without giving you the 'your window is too small' error...

I've been a avid AI user since 1999 (verson 5.5) and I've NEVER been so disappointed! Shame on you releasing a unfinished product.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2014 12:56 AM   in reply to ArtistJamie

Yes. They are big  enough to do what ever they want at the moment. Maybe I should start working with inkscape or Corel Draw.... back to the roots. The Programm I started with about 20 years ago. I've heard Gimp should  also becoming  better and better. ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 8:43 AM   in reply to Deadpool1369

This is happening to me as well. - Illustrator CC, Win 8.1...  Every time I open a file externally.   Extremely annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 10:22 AM   in reply to laurel_viral

Don't think it's a graphics card issue as some mention. This is a long-term illustrator problem and I've had it with a number of different video cards from consumer ATI & Nvidia cards to Quadro's.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points