Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Preferences File was invalid.

Aug 21, 2012 4:43 PM

Tags: #error #preferences #cs6 #invalid

Everytime I open my CS6, it always show " Could not initialize Photoshop because the preferences file was invalid (it has been deleted)" I reinstalled it but it is still popping out. Please help me coz I badly need my Photoshop

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 21, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to ProfEythan

Have you tried to reset your preferences by starting PS and immediatly holding down the ctrl + alt + shift keys?  Will get a reset window if done correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I had the same issue. On the Mac, I used command+alt+shift and it worked with Photoshop CS5.5. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to houstonalle

Any other options for fixes on this - the ctrl+alt+shift voodoo isn't working for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to ProfEythan

If you're on Windows, then navigate to the location: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 and then trash/delete the Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Settings folder. Looking at the error I've a feeling that you don't have sufficient privileges to that folder. Right click on Roaming\Adobe folder and then choose Properties\Security tab. Select your username and apply full control to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to ProfEythan

Please remember that reinstalling doesn't change your preferences (and wasted your time since the message said the problem was just with the preferences file).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

yeah, I reinstalled and it didn't fix. I found a video http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/how -to-reset-photoshop-cs6s-preferences-file/ that explains how to locate the file and delete it.

It's fixed.

thanks everyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 12:24 AM   in reply to ProfEythan

I'm having the same issue when I open my cs3. I've tried the ctrl+alt+shift solution but it didnt work. Also I cannot find the adobe folder in my AppData. I'm on windows 8 Anyone knows how to fix this?

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,925 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Aug 27, 2013 2:16 AM   in reply to fem21

Just a wild guess, but perhaps if you check Photoshop on the win 8 front page, and choose Run as Adminstrator from the options bar at the bottom of the page, and then do the Ctrl Alt Shift thing?  I can't test it at the moment because my Application Manager is updating on my Win8 laptop

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 2:37 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Thank you so much! That really worked!

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,925 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Aug 27, 2013 4:21 AM   in reply to fem21

Thanks for the feedback because I've learned something as well.  In fact I am quite new to Win8 and definitely haven't fully got to grips with it, and since I made that last post my Application Manager update failed, and the run as adminstrator trick worked for me as well.  I can't say as my limited experience with win8 has been a totally happy one to date, but perhaps the 8.1 update will make life easier for us win7 Luddites

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points