Skip navigation
Big Loud
Currently Being Moderated

How to remove silence (gaps in conversation) from video?

Aug 21, 2012 11:30 PM

Tags: #pro #premiere #elements #silence #audtion

I have both Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements. I'm not sure which tool is the right one to use for this so I will post this qustion in both forums.

How can I delete or remove the silence (long pauses in a conversation) from a video? I know that I can find and remove the silence from an audio track in Audition, but I cannot figure out how to apply those edits or changes to my video track so that everything stays in sync.

Please keep in mind that I wnat to do this automatically across several videos so I need this to be as automated as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 22, 2012 5:11 AM   in reply to Big Loud

If you're asking how to cut segments out of a video or audio clip, the answer is that you use the Split Clip tool (the scissors button on the Monitor panel) to slice on either side of the segment you want to remove -- then you select that segment on your timeline and press Delete on your keyboard.

I don't know any way to remove segments of the audio but leave the video intact and still keep them in sync. In fact, I don't know how that would be possible. You're either cutting out segments or you're not.

Although you can certainly cut and remove segments from both the audio and video simultaneously. That will keep them in sync, even if the cuts will be rather evident to the viewer.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to Big Loud

No. You can't do that automatically.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 12:06 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve, is it correct to say that even CS6 cannot do it? Are you aware of any products that will do this type of editing automatically?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to JGTiii

You can use virtually any video editing program to cut unwanted segments from your video. But I know of no program that will automatically remove silences.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve - big thanks

Hopefully this function  will be available soon! However being relistic I don't think Adobe will be very responsive.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to JGTiii

I can't imagine how a tool would work, JG. Do you know any software that does this automatically?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Hi there, I have just released a script - there is a video on how to use with Premiere.

http://aescripts.com/awkward-pause/

I think it address' this exactly, I use it for shortening tutorials automatically.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points