Skip navigation
msandstr
Currently Being Moderated

Lighting Effects filter in PS (CS6; 64-bit) crashes program

Aug 22, 2012 9:37 AM

This is a Win7 64-bit OS, new CS6 installation with all updates applied/installed.

Use of Lighting Effects rendering filter in PhotoShop (CS6, both 64- and 32-bit versions) causes PS to crash.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 22, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to msandstr

Is this an Adobe or 3rd party filter?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 22, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to msandstr

That's Filter - Render - Lighting Effects, Curt.

Since Lighting Effects is now GPU-accelerated, your display driver is most likely implicated in this problem.  Apparently Photoshop isn't able to get the proper GPU functions to run the filter.  (I'm not sure if this one uses OpenCL)

In any case, visit the web site of the maker of your video card and download and install the latest display driver for your hardware and operating system.  That usually helps.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I am able to get both Lighting Effects and Lighting Effects Classic on the Filter > Render Menu. My GPU is the Intel HD4000. With the latest driver from Intel,it supports OpenGL 3.3 and OpenCL 1.1

Odd,but 32 bit PS6 has OpenCL greyed out,while 64 bit PS allows it to be selected.

From the Adobe CS6 GPU FAQ:

• Use OpenCL Uses the GPU to accelerate the new blur filters (Field Blur, Iris Blur, and Tilt-Shift) – OpenCL will only be available on newer GPUs that support OpenCL v1.1 or higher

I did have Photoshop x32 crash on a Lighting Effects test,but getting Intel's latest driver from their website has fixed that.

And to repeat,always check with Intel for the latest drivers. Dell (my laptop brand) and Windows Update did not have that latest driver and said I was up to date.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to msandstr

This is very disappoining that Adobe have not resolved this.
    I am using a brand new Asus G75 which has the latest of all its drivers installed.
    It is a top of the line gaming machine.. You don't get a better pc than this so why isn't this working?
    My graphics are Nidia GeForce GTX660M and the pc says the latest drivers are installed..

There are a couple of threads on this topic with no resolution
    1) http://forums.adobe.com/message/4711488
    2) http://forums.adobe.com/message/4640755

> Filter - render - lighting effects..
    I never had this problem with Cs4.. since upgrading to cs6 it's an issue!

I have the latest drivers so no idea what to try!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 28, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to skysimone11

skysimone11 wrote:

My graphics are Nidia GeForce GTX660M and the pc says the latest drivers are installed..

What application or dialog says that?  What version?

How, exactly, should Adobe remedy a lack of functionality in your computer?

Your GTX660M may be very nice, but...

When people say "upgrade to the latest display driver" it's because at some point the graphics card maker released a bum version.  That version was the latest at one time.  NVidia and ATI both screw up from time to time.

If you truly do have the latest driver from nVidia.com (vs. the one you get through Windows Update), then your recourse is to try different settings in the Edit - Preferences - Performance section.  There are several advanced GPU modes to try, an OpenCL setting to tweak, and you can even turn off GPU acceleration altogether for testing.  Remember to restart Photoshop after any change and before testing.

And finally, nothing says you HAVE to have the very latest driver.  It might be that uninstalling the latest version and installing an earlier release will restore your functionality.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 10:08 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I am using an Asus G75 wv1 with the latest Nvidia

GeForce GTX 660M

This product has been detected as your primary device

Your driver is up to date with version 306.23

That is according to the Nividia website. so What do you suggest now?

I never had this issue with CS4... Only CS6

I opened the "Edit - Preferences" dialogue you suggested.. however I don't see many settings to tweak.
    Under 'history and cache' it has 'Graphic Processor Settings'
    - Detected Graphics Processor
    Nvidia Corp
    Geforce GTX 660M/pcie/sse2
    - When I click on advanced setting..

"Use graphics processor to accelerate computation CHECK
    Use Open CL - Not check
    Anti Alias Guides - CHECK
    30 bit display - not check
    (drawing mode advanced)

**With the above settings it still crashed..

I tried changing it from 'advanced' to 'normal' in the drawing mode settings..

Even with that setting it still crashed

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 28, 2012 10:36 PM   in reply to skysimone11

I did make some suggestions, which you appear to have only dabbled with...  Did you try Basic mode?  Did you try checking/unchecking all the various settings in all the combinations?  Be exhaustive.  You feel your system is advanced, I get that, but you're looking to isolate a problem here.

I'm not as familiar with nVidia as I am with ATI, but have you investigated the various settings their driver UI provides?

I'm not saying there's a definite fix in there, but In doing these things you might:

• Discover a combination of settings as a workaround that makes it work acceptably for you.
    • Be able to tell Adobe or nVidia exactly what to look for if they want to investigate it further.

By the way, have you contacted nVidia and let them know Photoshop is crashing when it tries to use their GPU for Lighting Effects?

Lastly, some folks have found that fully uninstalling the display driver, cleaning up any remnants of it and prior display drivers that may still be laying around, and installing the latest driver sometimes helps.  Display driver writers are apparently not all that good at writing installers.

I never had this issue with CS4... Only CS6

People sometimes like to say that kind of thing, but (and I'm sorry to be blunt):  So what?

This is an entirely new program with new, different, and greater demands of your computer system.  It's using more and different features of your GPU than any prior version.

I can only assure you that it does work okay for some others.  I have had no problems with Lighting Effects myself.  But you should know that since Photoshop CS6 first came out I *HAVE* had crashes while trying to do 3D modeling work.  At least some of those were caused by the (then current) ATI display drivers.  I (and others) contacted ATI and described the problems, and their subsequent driver versions have gotten more stable.  Their current version seems to work rather well with Photoshop CS6.  My point is that things can get better.  Hang in there.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hello.

Thank you for replying.

There are very few settings you can alter.. I'm not sure which ones you suggested that I didn't try, but basically turning off the graphics acceleration disables 'lighting effects' as that only works in acceleration mode.

I did try 'normal' or 'basic' mode and both still crashed.

I have also tried loading the 32 bit mode of photoshop.. and while it takes longer to crash, it still crashes

I updated the drivers as the very latest drivers from the Nividia website which has NOT fixed the problem.

I have logged a support ticket with adobe AND with Nvidia.. hopefully somebody can help.

Nvidia Support

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ask_co...

"Hello,Basically since getting this laptop (asus g75vw1) with this

graphics card My photoshop CS6 keeps crashing when I use the

lighting effects which are graphics accellerated.

I have posted on 'adobes' forum.. (you can see that post here

http://forums.adobe.com/message/47365...)

However everyone keeps saying when this issue occurs it's a

driver issue with the graphics card. I did have the previous

version of the driver, but have updated to the latest version

and the problem is still there.

As you can see from that adobe thread I've been doing a lot

of trouble shooting to no avail

Everyone insists its a graphics card driver problem. Help"

Your Question has been Submitted

Thanks for submitting your question. Use this reference

number for follow up: #120928-000268

This problem is not resolved for me

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 30, 2012 6:03 AM   in reply to skysimone11

You didn't mention having tried Basic mode before now, which is why I suggested being more thorough.

At this point it sounds as if you've done all the troubleshooting you can, short of trying much older drivers.  NVidia or/and Adobe are going to have to suggest further activity.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points