Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you apply a transition to multiple clips? NOT using default transition.

Aug 22, 2012 5:50 PM

Using CS6

I have videos on one track and titles on another track. I want to apply dissolve to black for the videos and gradient wipe to the titles.

Right now I have to assign dip as the default transition, select all the video, and apply default transition. Then find the gradient wipe, change *that* to the new default transition, select all the titles, and apply default transitions. Then I have to go back and reset my default transition to gradient wipe since that's my "main" default transition.

Uhhhh... why can't we just select a bunch of clips and drag ANY transition to the selection and have it apply just like regular effects? Why force us to do this complicated singular default transition dance?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 22, 2012 7:50 PM   in reply to fuzzybabybunny

select all the video, and apply default transition.

How do you do that?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 7:51 PM   in reply to fuzzybabybunny

Well the only way I know is to drag and drop every transition, or change the default and use CTRL+D.  I see no way to add transitions across selected clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to fuzzybabybunny

I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't work like that.  They just don't yet.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to fuzzybabybunny

Remember that this is a user-to-user forum.

We have to submit feature requests just to have a chance at getting things changed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to fuzzybabybunny

Select a bunch of clips, drag a transition into that group, voila?

I was just made aware that you actually can do that.  Select the clips and in the Sequence drop down menu you'll see Apply Default Transition to Selection.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 6:08 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I couldn't get the default transition idea to work, but for those just looking to have a common transition for multiple tracks - you can just 'nest' the clips together that have a common transition, then drag the transition effect to the combined clip.

To nest, select the tracks you want, then right click and click nest. If you ever need to dive back into the individual clicks, double click on the nested sequence.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points