Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Chapters from Premiere timeline not imported.

Aug 23, 2012 3:23 AM

After taking the time to set Encore chapters in Premiere CS6 (and yes, I made sure they were Encore chapters and not regular ones), when I imported a timeline into Encore CS6 there are no chapters.

Are those Encore chapters only for DVD? I don't know if it makes any difference, but I exported using the Matrox Blu-ray module in Premiere to be able to use the Matrox Mini MXO2 Max that I paid good money for to be able to encode faster.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 23, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to Sebasvideo

H.264 does not carry the Encore chapter info unless the Chapter is named in Premiere. So my guess is that your chapters aren't named and you exported as H.264. There was a thread in the Premiere forum where we couldn't figure this out. MPEG2 export does not have this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I don't know which versions of Premiere, Encore, and Matrox drivers you're using, but from the Matrox "Release Notes" for 5.5 I found the following -

http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pdf/support/windows/mxo2/doc/en_Matr ox_MXO2_Release_Notes_5_5_1.pdf

When you export an Adobe Premiere Pro sequence that has chapter markers

to a Matrox MAX H.264 file, the chapter markers are not exported and

therefore won’t be available when you import your exported file to Adobe

Encore. (Ref# 51780)

So, it looks like you will just have to plan on adding chapter markers in Encore to use the MAX workflow

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

Oh, boy. Two ways to lose chapters and mess up the work flow!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

No chapter import. It has been a topic for feature requests, but so far no go.

It is painful.

As a workaround in the past, I write down the timecode in PR, and type it in EN.

By setting them in PR, you assure that the encoding sets gops where you need them.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to Sebasvideo

In another project I set Encore chapters in Premiere, then encoded from Premiere using its own MPEG-2 DVD encoder, and Encore recognizes the chapters, but they are not frame accurate, which is obvious because I set a lot of them right in the middle of a fade in-fade out where it should be completely black, and Encore shows the chapters a few frames before or after.

When using a GOP structure file, Encore will only be able to place Chapter Markers on I-Frames, and not on the "difference Frames."

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

Sorry about that.

GOP = Group of Pictures. In many formats, there are only I-Frames (with all info) about every 8 - 15 Frames. All between those are "difference Frames," and do not contain all of the data to form the image of the Frames. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/544204?tstart=90

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

But his point at post 6 is that he sets the markers in PR and exports from PR as Mpeg2-DVD, which should result in accurate placement.

Sebasvideo, can you confirm that the marker timecode in PR is the same as the time in EN?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stanley,

Per the block quote, I was referring to the MPEG-2 file out of PrPro.

If ADL is used, or a DV-AVI Export from PrPro w/ En Chapter Markers, the Markers should be on the Frame chosen, and in those cases, GOP would not play a role.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 7:10 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

I hate it when I do that.  Let us know how the reencode goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

If ADL is used, or a DV-AVI Export from PrPro w/ En Chapter Markers, the Markers should be on the Frame chosen, and in those cases, GOP would not play a role.

If I understand your point. Same is now true for mpeg2-dvd out put from PR (or ame).

The way I did not interpret it, but perhaps what you meant, is that a PR project with markers, having done the export, can't have a gop issue for the markers in EN, since they will be on GOPs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

Also looking for a better work around for this!

The export SHOULD be made be sensible enough to drop/force in a keyframe whether ever you put a chapter marker regradless of underlying GOP in source

Without this feature the workflow sucks using 3rd party chapter inserters on MAC, may as well use FCP X, which does support it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to StreamProjects

I have not tested the various issues here recently, but I believe that when you export MPEG2-DVD from Premiere with Encore markers, it places an I-frame.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points