Skip navigation
paulblowie
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CS6 Frame Fitting Options bug?

Aug 23, 2012 3:43 PM

I've found that with the recent upgrade to Indesign CS6 there is a bug in the "Frame Fitting Options" for placing images into a frame box. By default the options are set to place the image centered in the box, but when placing an image it plops in at top left... it only seems to plop in centered if I also check the "fit content proportiaonally" which I don't want to do. What's up with this?? I work for a book publisher that publishes image heavy books, so this is a major hassle for me.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 23, 2012 8:38 PM   in reply to paulblowie

Tell us the exact steps you're taking, and the settings you're using in Frame Fitting Options. It may be helpful to make a screen capture of the dialog box. You can use the camera icon in the forum editor to select your screen capture.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to paulblowie

I think it may be a bug. I got the same results as you did in InDesign CS6. When I went back to InDesign CS5.5, with the same settings, it placed the image in the center, rather than at the upper right.

I'd suggest filing a bug report here:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Does it make any difference where the proxie is on the control panel?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 2:38 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

When you say the  proxie, do you mean the square with the 9 spots for positioning? If so, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 2:43 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

@Steve – is the bug also present, if you open the CS5.5 document (where all is well) in InDesign CS6?
    And: does it make a difference using InDesign CS6 v8.0.1 over v8.0.0?

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to paulblowie

I'm experiencing a similar issue. When working with object styles, neither the alignment options nor the fitting options have any effect over the content in the frame. However, right-clicking the frame and selecting the desired fitting option does work. Additionally, I've been able to double click on the content in the frame to get a bounding box around the content and free transform within the frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to paulblowie

Hello everyone, I recently upgraded from CS5 to CS6 recently. I am experiencing the same scenarios being described here in this forum: placing images and the “Frame Fitting Options” control is not being honored. Is Adobe listening/reading our comments. Is there a solution on the near horizon. Or, is Adobe beginning to show its weakness like QuarkXPress has done in its’ past. I am voting for Adobe. The solution to this scenario should be a quick “dirty & down” project... it worked before--it should NOW! Adobe, resolve this solution now. We are counting on you!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 1:14 AM   in reply to macian2

I agree with Macian2. I never expected to still be experiencing the same problem 6 months later. It feels like no-one is listening, and this problem has a big impact on my workflow. Surely if it used to work it can't be that difficult to solve.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to M-Z-Jay

Wow, now here I am a few months later again and the bugs are still there.  This is the type of bug that renders the application unusable.  I have had to resort to using Photoshop to produce prints with the scaling dpi that I want. 

There are several modes of this bug.  The way I see it, once you change a frame to "fit contents" (which it will always do) you can never again set that frame to Center, or set the image to "unscaled" again. I have seen that this can work if you go ahead and delete the original contents of the frame and re-insert the image after clearing the formating options.   The images in my frames need to either be fitted to the frame, or "cropped as a to-scale".  I would think that when I select different options from the Object-Fitting menu, that I would see different results, but that is not always the case.  If you pulll up the options and select different alignment on an image (from left, from bottom, etc.) that doesn't always work either.

I would think a rigorous investigation into this part of the application is long overdue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 2:34 AM   in reply to fgallery2

The reason that we are all using Adobe Creative Suite is because Quark rested on the laurels for too long, although looking at the promotional materials coming through from Quark they are really making an effort to stay in the game.

Maybe the tide will turn again if Adobe continue to ignore their customers. This is a major problem, that causes me trouble many times a day.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to M-Z-Jay

M-Z

It's true.  It is a very severe bug.  It's right up there with Windows 7 deleting a file in explorer and the operating system not removing it from the list until you hit refresh.  In both cases, maybe the developers have tried to fix them, but can't.  They're much too obvious to have gone unnoticed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 4:19 AM   in reply to paulblowie

I just upgraded and found this bug in my first 10 minutes using the program. IT took CS5 off my machine when they upgraded me to CS6. This is going to be a HUGE problem for me, as I use this feature all day long. This will literally cut my productivity in half. I can't believe Adobe has been aware of this problem for months and hasn't taken the time to fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to fgallery2

fgallery2 wrote:

If you pulll up the options and select different alignment on an image (from left, from bottom, etc.) that doesn't always work either.

I found that if you set the four crop amounts to 0, then is seems to work.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2013 12:49 AM   in reply to Pickory

Deleted because the code was wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 12:51 AM   in reply to paulblowie

Hello,

Did you try the script? You can download it from here.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 2:24 AM   in reply to fgallery2

FGallery

Although I agree it may be difficult this is an essential function for most designers. We all have to place long PDF files and spend ages correctly positioning them in the centre of the frame, which we shouldn't need to waste time on.

The fact that we don't feel that we are being listened to is unacceptable. I don't see any Adobe employees on this thread telling us that they are working hard to resolve this problem. If it worked before, surely it can't be that difficult.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 2:32 AM   in reply to M-Z-Jay

I've tried the script but it doesn't seem to do anything....

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 2:36 AM   in reply to M-Z-Jay

Thanks for trying it.

I created a new graphic frame and set the proxie thing to bottom right and imported a graphic and it was positioned correctly. Without the script it was positioned top left.

Did you restart ID? I wonder what is different here.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 2:47 AM   in reply to M-Z-Jay

Personally, I was  happy with InDesign CS4 as it rarely let me down- especially with Frame-fitting issues. We had no choice to upgrade to CS6 or we'd have to buy it outright, which for a small company, is a massive outlay. Dissapointing to see this thread has had no reply on such a seemingly basic oversight. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 2:49 AM   in reply to Pickory

Hi

Yes I restarted ID, and have just re-tried with the proxie set to bottom right. As far as I can see it doesn't do anything at all.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:05 AM   in reply to M-Z-Jay

Hmmm, that is a shame, it works for me on Win and Mac.

I have no idea why it is working, as you can see from the code it is simply setting the value of fittingAlignment to its self.

In my testing I did create a new document, new frame, set the proxie and then place.

My ID is not patched or updated.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:16 AM   in reply to Pickory

Just in case I'm barking.

Screen shot 2013-05-10 at 11.12.25.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:18 AM   in reply to Pickory

Couldn't get two images.

immage 2.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:30 AM   in reply to Pickory

You may well be barking, that's not for me to say!  I've double checked that I put the script in the right place, and gone through all the steps above and it still hasn't worked, which seems weird. I'm running CS6 v8.0.

I have tested on an A4 portrait page, with the proxie set to bottom right, and am placing an A4 with bleeds PDF into the frame.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:42 AM   in reply to M-Z-Jay

PDF, I used a gif.

When you import a PDF theImage.constructor.name == "PDF". So we need to expand our script.

I will do some more testing.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:45 AM   in reply to Pickory

I just tried a gif and that still stays top left too

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:50 AM   in reply to M-Z-Jay

OK, lets put an alert in the script. Are you able to edit the script? If so paste this in.

function ourAfterPlace(e){

var theImage = e.parent;

alert ( theImage.constructor.name );

if (( theImage.constructor.name == "Image" ) ||

( theImage.constructor.name == "PDF" ))

{

theImage.parent.frameFittingOptions.fittingAlignment = theImage.parent.frameFittingOptions.fittingAlignment;

}

}

Should we go to PM, rather than clog this thread up?

P.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:55 AM   in reply to M-Z-Jay

I'm not sure if by seeing a flurry of activity it may highlight the thread as active to Adobe? Happy to go through it by email though if you like.

When I double click the script it opens a script editor, which I have never used, but could probably work it out...

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:57 AM   in reply to Pickory

Whilst I think the script option is massively helpful and shows a proactiveness and ingenuity to get around the problem, the fact is, this is an old feature that should be working without work-arounds from good people like Pickory.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 4:05 AM   in reply to mccoole1

Hello,

There is more to this. There are several ways of 'placing' which we need to deal with. I think I need to give this some more thought. If one of the more experinced scripters is looking in.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 4:08 AM   in reply to mccoole1

I agree MCCoole, we shouldn't be trying to work this out ourselves, but this is a problem that seriously hampers productivity, and needs sorting out. As Adobe don't appear to be doing it I am grateful for all the help I can get!

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 6:45 AM   in reply to M-Z-Jay

Hey everyone. Pickory has developed a script, and I have tested it with a few different formats and it seems to work well.

You can download it from here:

http://www.kerntiff.co.uk/free-stuff/afterplace

Please let us know whether it works for you or not so that any wrinkles can be ironed out.

GOOD NEWS!

Have a nice weekend everyone

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to M-Z-Jay

And I've just used it sucessfully in indesign CC :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to wordsandgraphics

I have recently bought InDesign CS6 v8 and notice a similar and presumably related problem. In my case, when I open an old file and change an image -- replacing it with a different one, for instance -- the image is resized, seemingly in a random fashion. Presumably it is a kind of "fit to frame". I have ensured that this is not being requested at any level, neither in the preferences nor in the properties of the image frame. No automatic fitting. As with the experience of others in this discussion, deleting the frame and creating a new one seems to work. The same problem occurs if the images are merely updated -- the original sizing is not retained. This is a major hassle.

I wonder if the script from Pickory would solve this problem as well as the positioning issue?

Many thaks for any advice.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points