Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Aug 25, 2012 5:10 AM

Tags: #windows #8

Hi guys,

Some time ago I installed the Adobe Master Collection CS3 on the Windows 8 Release Preview. I had a number of problems and gave up, however as the final version of Windows 8 is now available as a 90 day trial I thought I'd try again. I know this isn't supported but I'd like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 and I can't afford to upgrade Master Collection, so I figured I'd see how far I can get.

• So, I've made a clean install of Windows 8. I've put iTunes and QuickTime on it. I've not installed any Codecs (except those that would come with these).
  • I've opened Premiere Pro CS3 and tried an old project file. It opened but insisted a large number of media files were offline.
  • I tried opening the files in Windows - they run okay.
  • I made a new project file in Premiere and tried to import, but received:

error.png

These are files that previously imported correctly under Windows 7. They're ones I encoded into H.264 using MPEG_StreamClip. File details:

details.png

So it looks like the codec is missing, is that the problem? I'm a bit unconvinced as I can run the videos in Windows. Is there a codec I should try?

I've installed Windows 8 on a partition so I'm happy to play around with this providing I can still deactivate the Master Collection at the end. I'm going to be away for a couple of days next week so apologies in advance if I don't answer straight away :-)

Stu.

Message was edited by: Stuart Clark (images reinstated)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 25, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to Stuart Clark

Since you have Quicktime installed, your MOV file "should" open

Are you using any compatibility settings to run that "old" CS3 on the "new" Win8?

Go to http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US and search for Win8 compatibility settings

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to Stuart Clark

I've got the CS6 suite running just fine under the Release Preview.  No compatibility adjustments were required.

The larger issue may be that H.264 in an MOV wrapper is a fairly new format used mostly by DSLR's, support for which wasn't really added to PP until CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Stuart Clark

Can you create a new project and either (1) import the old project [sometimes will "fix" a corrupted project] or (2) just work with the new project, importing the video files?

When I still had CS3 I never worked with anything other than DV AVI video, so I really can't help with the files you have

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to Stuart Clark

Stuart,

It hadn't occured to me to create a new project file and import the old one into it - I guess I do that as if it were any other asset? I'll certainly give that a shot.

You are correct - it's just like Importing an Asset, with two little caveats (that I can think of):

• The Project will Import with a full Bin structure, so you might need to twirl-open some of the Bins, to find the Sequences.

• Initially, the Sequences should appear in those Bins, and all you need to do is Dbl-click on them in the Project Panel, to open them as Timelines.

Good luck, and hope that it works for you.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to Stuart Clark

Some saved links... and which MJPEG codec do you have installed?

1st link is an article by Bill Hunt that may help

MJPEG http://forums.adobe.com/thread/730396

- problems with Samsung codec http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699493

- and Fuji http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015922

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to Stuart Clark

Stuart,

One problem with MJPEG is that many camera mfgrs. love to tweak it.

Often, the generic MJPED CODEC's, like Lead's, or MainConcept's, will work just fine. Other times, they do not, or do not work fully. I always recommend that one try to get, and install, the exact version of MJPEG, used by a particular camera, if the generics do now function.

Unfortunately, like the individual MJPEG CODEC's themselves, the installation routine can differ.

In some cases, there is a separate installer for the CODEC, but often, one needs to install the camera's driver to get the exact CODEC, and more often, they have to install the camera's editing, or cataloging utility/utilities, to get the CODEC properly installed. I am a fan of the first method, but few camera mfgrs. seem enamored with that - simple, effective, and does not require additional software - but they seldom go that route.

I feel that users should be contacting Nikon, Lumix, et al, to request a straight CODEC installation on the utilities disc, but maybe that is just me. Having to install a bunch of utilities, just to get a CODEC is NOT the way that I like things, but could be that "lone voice in the wilderness."

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to Stuart Clark

Stuart,

I do not believe that the MJPEG CODEC is installed with any Windows OS (will be corrected, if I am incorrect), but there ARE ways to get them. IIRC, Apple's QT Pro installs a version of it.

I have several. One probably came from QT Pro, one from Nikon and one from Panasonic/Lumix. There is also the MainConcept that I added, and one more, that I cannot place.

I have only done a bit of work with MJPEG AV files, so am anything BUT an expert. Those have come from my Nikon, or my wife's Panny point-n-shoot. I have never encountered one that would not Import and edit fine. Still, with such limited experience, and no clients any more, I just do not see much of that footage, but do not work with much.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to Stuart Clark

Stuart,

I only wish that I had more to offer.

I think that you are on the right track, by contacting Fuji. I hope that they have a fix for you, and ask that you update the thread, with anything that you find out. That will help people, like me, and also anyone who comes to this thread with the same problem. Thanks for that.

Good luck, and hope that the fix is easy.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Stuart Clark

While I have not seen a full report, I believe that Jim Simon has been using Win8 with CS 6, and I do not recall reading of any issue there.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to Stuart Clark

Even the much newer, and 64bit, Premiere Elements 10 does not seem to work properly with Win8

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1066799

I don't know what Microsoft did, but it seems they changed Win8 "enough" to cause problems with some programs... at least, with Premiere

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Stuart Clark

Dual booting is certainly a viable option... I have an old Pinnacle DV500 digitizer card that will not work with Win7 due to the old device drivers

Every now and then I find an old VHS tape stuck away in a box (amazing how things can get misplaced while moving, and you only find A when you are looking in a box for B) so I dual boot my computer with WinXP and Win7

I don't restart very often, and Win7 is the "default" so when a Windows update does an automatic restart it all goes back to Win7... works for me

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points