Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS6 unable to read cache

Aug 25, 2012 4:45 PM

I just installed creative cloud on my MAC, running OS 10.8.  Previously Bridge CS6 worked fine with Photoshop CS6.  Now when I open Bridge I get a message that is cannot read the cache & telling me to purge the cache.  I did that twice.  I repaired permissions.  I checked to see that cache is in the right place in the library folder. This first happened after I installed a trial version of in design.  I uninstalled the trial version of in design when I got creative cloud, and then installed it from creative cloud.  Now bridge not only gives me this message, but is very slow, has to rebuild the cache when I try to open folders, and is generally unresponsive.  What can I do?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 1, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to bmilman

Same issue here. i select cancel and it appears to load okay. just an annoying message. one of many CS6 bugs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 1, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to mikefasnyc

just an annoying message. one of many CS6 bugs.

Quit Bridge, from user library (NOT system and root library) preferences folder find and delete the Bridge5.plist file manual. Do this also in same user library caches folder (Caches/Adobe/Bridge CS6) and inhere find and the folder called 'cache' and drag it to the trash.

restart Bridge holding down option key and choose reset preferences, then try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

thank you sir! worked like a charm.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Looks like I'm good too, thank you.

While we are at it, can you comment on the wisdom of these choices pleaser?

Screen Shot 2012-12-09 at 11.13.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-09 at 11.12.47 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to Steve Zeeeee

Omke might have a different slant, but for me:

Software rendering userful if video card not powerful enough for certain functions, like slideshows.

Related to having more than one monitor.  But this is another issue I am a little fuzzy on.

Start Bridge at Login I can't recommend as you have to disable Bridge to update or to change to another version of Bridge.  Tricky to save changes you make in Bridge with the option also.

Keep 100% previews is useful if you want quicker full screen previews of images you have already built.  Takes up a lot more disk space in cache.

Also, can not recommend automatically export cache to folders as you still have central cache, and now have an additional cache in each folder.  Cache in folders can only be purged with Tools/cache/purge cache for xxx folder.  Useful if exporting files to another drive to make sure XMP file is transfered, but not necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

here is what i got already

Screen Shot 2012-12-09 at 5.33.01 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to Steve Zeeeee

Check your disk space.  You should have 10 - 20% free.  Either too little space or you have some file that is corrupting the cache.  If you have any icons that show instead of a normal thumbnail look at it closely to see if it has a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I dont have that problem, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 10, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Omke might have a different slant, but for me:

Start Bridge at log in might be useful but having set this in the prefs automatically sets it to hide during start up. Therefor the benefit of having a Bridge ready to go with reading cache, thumbs and building criteria the first time is gone. When you select to activate Bridge for first use it still needs to to this and the only benefit was starting the application automatically. For this reason I set it myself in the system preferences without hiding. But truth to be told, Bridge still has a mind of its own and every now and then resets itself to hide at start up.

Using a 30 " inch Cinema display I have a huge Cache file for 1024 with Building Monitor sized previews set to on. However having the option to use the space bar and have a nice and sharp full screen is worth this effort.

I don't bother using Bridge as Digital Asset Management for my archive (often said, Canto Cumulus Single user does a far better job for this but does not have the features Bridge is good at) so I regularly (CS3 every 2 or 3 weeks because it was needed to get it to work again / CS6 once in a few month, depending on size) dump my whole cache file manual and restart Bridge holding down option key to start fresh again.

The export cache to folder provides a long standing bug on my system showing a window that Bridge can't read the Cache.T file, I agree with Curt, can't recommend this feature either.

But is your problem solved or do you still experience the screenshot as per your last post?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 7:08 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

I continue to have the problem, tho the time consuming fix works for a little while.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 5, 2013 1:27 AM   in reply to Steve Zeeeee

I continue to have the problem, tho the time consuming fix works for a little while.

The icon in your older screenshot points to CS6 but what are your machine specs and exact OSX and Bridge CS6 versions?

And do you use the disk maintenance to check and repair disk permissions every now and then?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 7:24 AM   in reply to Steve Zeeeee

Steve, check this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1147536

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to Johan Björklund

It works for a few sessions, and then back to the problem.

Now sometimes cant even load any thumbs, folders, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to Steve Zeeeee

Steve Zeeeee wrote:

It works for a few sessions, and then back to the problem.

Now sometimes cant even load any thumbs, folders, etc.

You have something that is fouling up Bridge if this happens.  Some other program that you use is causing file contamination.  Try to recognize when this happens and you might find out it is just after you use xxx program, or a virus scan completes.  Do you use any registry cleaners, or use Macsweep?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to Curt Y

it's over.

Cant even use it anymore.  RIP

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 4:50 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Thank you so much! Bridge is a HUGE part of my workflow and it just stoppped working because of this error, and now it's fixed!

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 7:13 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Would you be able to walk me through the PC process? I still have the CS6 version on my ASUS personal laptop and I've been getting the same cache message, to no avail after purging it. Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 8:13 PM   in reply to JeremyJensenPhotoVid

You need to go into user/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Bridge and click on cache.  Delete the cache files and they will rebuild.

NOTE:  AppData is a hidden file.  Turn on option in Win. Explorer

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points