Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

why I am having problems tethering my nikon d7000 to lightroom 4?

Aug 26, 2012 12:24 PM

Tags: #install

why I am having problems tethering my nikon d7000 to lightroom 4?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to markguisadio2

Mark,

Since I wasn't looking over your shoulder when you tried to tether, I don't know why you're having problems.

Maybe you could tell us how you went about it.

How long is your cable?

Do you use a USB hub?

Exactly what problems are you having?

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 2:37 AM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

I have the same problem, with Lightroom 3 and 4. Lightroom never detects the camera for tethering. Works fine to detect for importing, but not once to tether.

I use the USB cable that came with the camera apprx 1m long, and I don't use a usb hub, just the one(s) from the computer. It is really frustrating, would love to be able to use this feature.

I've tried all my USB ports. Tried with camera turned on first before starting lightroom. Tried with camera on in lightroom, then attempt to tether. Tried with tether turned on, then connect the camera. Nothing has worked.

Is there a known setting in my camera I should have turned on etc for this to work?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 3:24 AM   in reply to oOBroKen LiZardOo

Are you also using a D7000? I looked in its manual, and there doesn't appear to be a menu setting like there is for a D300 that changes the USB mode.

If you aren't using a D7000, check this:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/tethered-camera-support-lightroom- 4.html

Is your camera firmware up to date?

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 3:51 AM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

Yes I have the D7000, Firmware up to date, and i've tried all the troubleshooting techniques on the Adobe page.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to oOBroKen LiZardOo

oOBroKen LiZardOo wrote:

I have the same problem

How do you know? The OP never told us what his problem is.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Are you serious. Fine, I have no idea what markguisadio2 exact issue is, but him stating that he has tethering issues with his D7000 to lightroom 4, sounds pretty close to my response "I have the same problem, with Lightroom 3 and 4. Lightroom never detects the camera for tethering. Works fine to detect for importing, but not once to tether."

I was merely stating that I have the same issue with my D7000, that it will not tether to lightroom.

But thankyou for your help in solving my problem

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 8:05 PM   in reply to markguisadio2

I recently purchased the D7000 and I'm having the same issue. Lightroom 4.2. I wonder if any D7000 owner is able to use the tethering function. The camera is listed as supported but it just doesn't work for me. I'll see if I can get help via chat tomorrow as tonight I was already too late.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 9:37 PM   in reply to markguisadio2

Well... I was never able to reach anybody via chat, so I went for the harsh thing to do (and I had this pending anyway): wipe my computer and resinstall everything. I do this every year or so, just to keep things fresh, get rid of trial programs, plugins, addons, and a miriad of things that I don't always remember to remove or check the registy...

Long story short, after installing all of the programs I actually use, getting all the updates and retoring my backed up data (personal files, pictures, music, etc)... I connected my D7000 to the computer, launched Lightroom, started the tethered connection and VOILA! It worked! I really don't know what was preventing the connection but I now realize it wasn't Lightroom but my computer.

I know this won't help you much but at least will prove that the problem is the computer. Maybe give reinstallation a try, and it will help you "cleanup" your computer. IMPORTANT: BACKUP EVERYTHING BEFORE WIPING THE COMPUTER.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 3:17 AM   in reply to Alex_Bahamaca

I'm having similar problems with Lightroom and a D7000 and am beginning to suspect the culprit may be the operating system.  I'm using Windows 7, 32 bit.  What is your OS?   Also, I would be very interested in comments regarding stability and functionality of Lightroom in Windows vs Mac environments.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 6:29 AM   in reply to oOBroKen LiZardOo

oOBroKen LiZardOo wrote:

Are you serious. Fine, I have no idea what markguisadio2 exact issue is, but him stating that he has tethering issues with his D7000 to lightroom 4, sounds pretty close to my response "I have the same problem, with Lightroom 3 and 4. Lightroom never detects the camera for tethering. Works fine to detect for importing, but not once to tether."

I was merely stating that I have the same issue with my D7000, that it will not tether to lightroom.

But thankyou for your help in solving my problem

We are all users, just like yourself. We are not Adobe technical support. In order for us to give you any help that will be of value, we need your help. We need to know your OS, how much RAM, other information about your computer system, what you have tried, exactly what happens when Lightroom "won't recognize your camera" or "tethering doesn't work." It would be nice to know if there are any error messages, if you have tried adjusting settings in your camera, etc., etc. Nobody here is trying to be smart when they ask for these details. It is the way a user-to-user forum works.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2014 4:06 AM   in reply to JimHess

The problems with tethered capture did turn out to be a problem with my OS.  I did a system restore to an available  restore point just before my problems with tethered capture began.  After doing this it worked as it should.  Still don't know what the conflict in the operating system was, but for now - problem resolved.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points