Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Memory consumption issues (when doing large batches of photos)

Aug 26, 2012 1:10 PM

Tags: #memory #ram #memory_consumption #memory_usage #garbage_collection #memory_use #memory_allocation #memory_deallocation #memory_release

I have a user who reports my plugin consumes memory until Lr/System is no longer operable, when doing large batches of photos.

I have this type of problem too from time to time, but not always, and in the most recent case, *not* for the same operation my client is complaining about.

Begs the question: is there a way to control whether excessive memory is used, or force it to be released, when doing an operation upon large batches of photos.

Note: the operation is already concluding catalog transactions every 1000 photos (exits with-write function, and re-enters). My client reports Lr/System slowdown at about 4000 photos. He is running Lr3, Windows OS - system details not yet known.

Rob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

the operation is already concluding catalog transactions every 1000 photos

I wonder if reducing that to 100 might have a significant impact.  I recall a previous thread here that discussed long-running operations and the memory impact on the LR internal undo stack (not SQLite's undo logs).  Perhaps in some circumstances LR is expanding some memory buffer for the undo stack and not releasing it for some reason.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to John R. Ellis

Hey Rob

Have you already tried John R. Ellis idea of reducing the transaction size? I remember from another project we had to limit the transaction size on a SQLite based database due to memory problems.

Maybe you are facing a different problem - not sure how efficient LUAs garbage collection is and your code causes some kind of memory leaks somewhere.

Daniel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points