Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player 11.4.402.265 causes IE to crash

Aug 27, 2012 11:49 AM

Flash Player 11.4.402.265 is causing Internet Explorer to crash on several of our company computers whenever they try to access Flash content. Rolling back to Flash Player 11.3.300.271 (which requires using the Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller first) resolves the issue. The problem seems limited to Windows 7 (64-bit) systems, but not all of them. Still trying to determine to commonality.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 27, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to MikeIT1

Any additional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  On the systems affected, is the crash reproducible 100% of the time?  Are there certain sites or content (video, audio, 3d, etc) that cause this to happen?  Do these systems have hardware, particularly GPUs, in common?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 27, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to MikeIT1

It would definitely help if you could point me to an external site where the bug reproduces.  I'd also like to recommend opening a new bug report on this over at bugbase.adobe.com.  When adding the bug, please try and get a couple of dxdiag reports from the affected systems so we can look for common gpu and audio hardware and drivers.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2012 1:49 AM   in reply to MikeIT1

Exactly the same problem here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 2:54 AM   in reply to MikeIT1

Confirmed in Veoh web player

the application crashes right after clicking the icon and most of the time it takes DWM with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to MikeIT1

My problem is that IE 9 hangs, i.e. the page never loads completely or is doing so very slowly in a user account.  It works correctly in an Administrator account.

I don't often use IE, and 11.4.402.265 seems to have fixed the problems I was having in Firefox.  I accidentally started IE and it hung trying to bring up the default MSN page.

Windows 7 (64bit) on a Dell Optiplex 390.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to MikeIT1

I'm experiencing the same thing. I disabled Flash Player, restarted IE9... no problem. Enable Flash Player and encountered the IE stoppped working dialog box shown in #4.

Win7 IE9 (64-bit).

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 28, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to KGlennCole

Thank you for the feedback.  I'll ask our team to investigate immediately.  If possible, I'd like to get some crash logs from you.  Please see the following FAQ for instructions and let me know if you need any help:

How do I report a Flash Player crash to Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 12:34 AM   in reply to MikeIT1

Same for me too. (I actually started a thread yesterday as well with screen shots).

Running W7 pro x64. As soon as I install this version (onto a totally clean W7 image that has never had flash player installed) IE9 crashes as soon as I close it. Version 11-3-300-271 runs perfectly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 2:46 AM   in reply to Mooly01

Same for me.

I use XenApp 6.5 with IE9 on 2008R2.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 3:39 AM   in reply to MikeIT1

MikeIT1 wrote:

I've created a bug report with the DXDIAG.TXT attached.

Could you please post the bug number and/or URL back here in the forum, so others can vote, and perhaps also add their dxdiag reports in it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris, I performed the install of the two files and restarted my laptop. I experienced several instances where IE stopped working. Unfortunately, it appears as though no CrashDump folder exists on my laptop nor could I locate any IE-related *.dmp file (searched entire OS). Am I missing something?

By the way, the crashed occurred with multiple tabs and with a single tab.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to MikeIT1

I am also experiencing a crash since updating to the latest version.  I am also using an HP Elitebook 8460p running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.  The early versions worked fine.  I can reproduce the crash 100% of the time just by going to https://play.google.com/store?hl=en&tab=w8 then clicking on the Android Apps button.  When I do IE pauses a second and then I get the following pop up error:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: iexplore.exe

Application Version: 9.0.8112.16448

Application Timestamp: 4fecf1b7

Fault Module Name: StackHash_3597

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: 7498c9f1

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 3597

Additional Information 2: 3597c31010c86d2765350bffe3a6632f

Additional Information 3: b28e

Additional Information 4: b28ec503d694c4dda893356d1d58e925

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

If I click OK, it tells me IE had to close and the reopen, at this point the Android Apps page is displayed without error.

If I disable the Flash add-on everything works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Would it matter if I already had Chrome installed? There was another thread (message 4233416) where discussion of problems associated with already having Chrome.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 29, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Medimetriks

@MikeIT1 - Thanks for adding the bug!

@KGlennCole - Are you able to reproduce this crash on command?  If so, I could try helping you create the dump file (though it does sound like you've done the proper steps.)

@medimetriks - If possible, can you try to create a dump file with your crash?

Unfortunately, we've been unable to reproduce this crash so far.  I suspect there's a common denominator on your systems that we don't have in place.  Is everyone using 64bit systems?  Are you using the 32 bit versions of IE or 64bit?  What virus/security software do you have installed?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 29, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I'd like to request that everyone take a minute and leave a comment/vote for this bug.  Having this data gives us an idea of how many users are being affected by this issue.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3318993

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I am running 64-bit version of Windows 7 Professional and the 32-bit version of IE 9.  I am running MS Security Essentials for AV.

Can you tell me how to create the dump file?  I will add it, but I am not sure how to create it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to Medimetriks

I also just confirmed that the crash happens when using the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 29, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to Medimetriks

Hopefully these steps will let you create a crash log.

1. Download, extract, and run this .reg file: Enable Crash Logging
    2. Recreate the crash in IE
    3. After the crash, open a file browser window and type the following in the navigation bar:%localappdata%
    4. Go into the CrashDump folder.
    5. Select the most recent file that appears, most likely in the following format:  iexplore.exe.<somenumber>.dmp
    6. Zip this .dmp file up and email it to ccampbel@adobe.com.  If it's too large for email, I'd recommend using either Adobe's SendNow or Dropbox
    7. Once the dump file has been generated, download, extract and run this .reg file to disable further logging: Disable Crash Logging

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I followed the steps to set up crash logging, but my IE is not actually crashing.  I believe I saw one crash early on when I was trying to figure out what was wrong, but none since.

The Adobe "about" page takes about 5 minutes to start to show up, the graphic another 3-4 minutes and it doesn't display correctly, i.e. some text is overwritten.

Firefox loads this immediately and displays correctly.

Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit, IE 9.0.8112.16421 Update Versions 9.0.9 (KB2722913) running out of the 64 bit program files directory.

Administrator accounts  (local and network) bring up the about page promptly, but also overwrite text.

The user account IE display stops with the graphic, all others proceed to the advertisement.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris,

I sent you a Dropbox link to my IE9 Crash Dump.

Let me know if you need anything else or if you didn't get the link.

Alan

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris,

Ooops.. I found my error concerning no CrashDump folder. Seems as though I lanched the Enable and then the Disable, essentially cancelling the Enable. Jeez, I can be soo 'tupid at times!

I was able to Enable, create an IE *.dmp file and attach to a Bug Report. Not sure if it's gone through as the Submit is still 'working' nearly an hour later (484Mb file, high-speed cable connection).

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 29, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to KGlennCole

@KGlennCole - Ya, these files can be pretty big.  I would definitely recommend compressing it first, then using Adobe's Send Now, Dropbox, or similar file sharing service to forward along to me.  Thank you very much for generating this file!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

The problem only occurs if ActiveX AND plug-in version are both: 11.4.402.265.

If only the ActiveX has version 11.4.402.265 and Plug-in version has version 11.3.300.271 then the problem is not there.

System: Windows 7, 64 bits,

IE9 crashes and firefox works ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to ErwanBolleurs

My ActiveX version is 11.0 and my plugin version is 11.4.402.265 and my IE 9 crashes.  Firefox works fine.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 29, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to Medimetriks

Does everyone have both the plugin and Active X controls installed?  You can check this by going to the Flash Player control panel (in Windows) and selecting the Advanced tab.  At the bottom it will tell you the ActiveX and Plug-in versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Yes, I have installed both !

I use IE9 AND Firefox 14.0.1 on the same pc.

And that is also the problem, if you only update flash for activeX then there´s no problem and IE9 works fine BUT if you also update the Plug-in, for firefox, then IE9 crashes !!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I have both installed.  When I look at the versions under the advanced tab they both are at 11.4.402.265 but when I look at via the Manage Add-ons from IE it tells me that the ActiveX Control is version 11.0.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 29, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to Medimetriks

@mediametriks - Does your Manage Add-ons look like this?

8-29-2012 2-06-50 PM.png

Would you be willing to temporarily uninstall your Plug-in version of Flash Player to see if you're seeing the same thing that ErwanBolleurs is?  I'm still unable to reproduce this with both versions installed, regardless of their version number.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

If I disable the ´Shockwave Flash Object´ in the manage Add-ons list then the site renders perfect and IE9 works perfect. As soon as I enable the Flash object and I refresh the website then IE9 crashes.

Take a look at this site for an example.. www.rabobank.nl   and then press a random button at the top of the site.

After a few times restarting the page the following url becomes visible:

res://ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm#rabobank.nl,http://www.rabobank.nl/particulieren/

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 29, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to ErwanBolleurs

Unfortunately, no problems clicking any of those buttons on my systems...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

mmhmm, I can reproduce it on my normal pc AND also on my laptop.

Here are some screenshots of my settings and a screenshot of the eventviewer:

windows.jpg

version.jpg

event.jpg

ie9.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Both installed. Both same version.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris, Does you adobe email account have one 'l' or two? In Bug ID #3318993 you show one 'l'. I sent two (2) zip files to that email account and did not a delivered receipt response.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Problem occurs for me repeatedly on www.cnbc.com web site when doing individual stock quote requests.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 29, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to KGlennCole

@KGlennCole - I received your email, downloading the files now.  Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris,

When I look at currently loaded add-ons it looks like this.

currently_loaded.png

If I look at all add-ons it looks like this:

All_add-ons.png

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers