Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting captions from Encore for YouTube?

Aug 27, 2012 2:01 PM

I have an Encore project with Spanish captions.  The client would like for there to be Spanish closed captions on the YouTube version of the video (the speakers are speaking English).  I am able to export the caption file from Encore, but I don't know how to convert the .txt file to something YouTube can import. Can anyone help me?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 29, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to jdmack01

Hi jdmack01. I've been working with subtitles a lot lately, and so I can understand your frustration/concern.  ...making subtitles is a lot of hard long tedious work, and it's horrible when things don't move easily from one system to another!

As for your YouTube question, here's the answer: ^_^

YouTube currently supports the upload of the following caption script formats:

• .srt - SubRip - only the basic version is supported.
    • .sbv - SubViewer
    • .scc - Scenarist Closed Caption. For any premium content that has broadcast-quality captions (movies, TV shows, etc) we highly recommend this format.
    • .dfxp - Distribution Format Exchange Profile.
    • .smi - Synchronized Accessible Media Interchange
    • .sub - MPlayer Subtitle (and other similar formats)
    • .lrc - For lyrics
    • .rt - RealText
    • .stl - EBU-STL. Widely used in Europe for broadcast content.

I'm using Adobe CS6, and it currently seems to only export a subtitle/caption file as a simple TXT script file. (not a supported YouTube format) However, there's a wonderful opensource (free) subtitling program called "Subtitle Edit" (can be found here->  www.nikse.dk ) that will take your Encore exported subtitles (and nearly any other captioning format) and allow you to save them in most of the formats above.  By default YouTube likes the SubViewer format (.sbv) so I recommend saving as that.

To export your subtitles from Encore, click "Timeline" from the top menu, and then "Export Subtitles" in the drop-down. Export your Text script and then open it in the Subtitle Edit program. Choose "Save as" under the File menu, and then save your captions as the Youtube .sbv format. (it's currently the next to last file format listed in the dropdown save menu)

I just recently became introduced to Subtitle Edit. It has a bit of a learning curve, but will prove to be a huge asset if you plan on doing more subtitling in your future. Hope that helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to jdmack01

You're welcome. ^_^

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 2:52 AM   in reply to Dragonspear

Hello. I have the same problem, that is to upload a video with subtitles on YouTube  (this is to share the prerelease with a partner who's on the other side of our planet).

I have used Subtitle Edit which is a great program and much easier to use than Subtitel Workshop.

I can convert Encore .swf  to one of YouTube format.

So I end up with 2 files (.mp4 and .sbv) and then what? Just upload them to YT? How to sync the two?

I know it's a YouTube problem but didn't find yet the "howto" and even if there is anyway out.

And I thing Adobe should really consider to have other output formats availble on Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 3:46 AM   in reply to eraim2

Upload the Encore to Flash to your own web site. Your partner can watch and/or download from there.

Let us know if Youtube can handle actual subtitles. I don't think so.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 7:42 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Thanks. Actually I had the solution from a local friend.

Yes indeed, YouTube can handle subtitles/captions.

You have to use YT video formats: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&ts=2888402&page= ts.cs

and codecs... http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722171&r d=1

Then here is how it goes: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=guide.cs&gu ide=2734661&topic=2734793

*as said earlier in this thread, Subtitle Edit www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit  is a very good free program not only to make your subtitles but to convert .txt to .sbv

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 8:45 AM   in reply to eraim2

Sorry; you are right. Your question is really a YouTube question. Your links are not working.

This page dealt with formats. (FYI, Encore exports a .txt file which is not listed; it is cumbersome to add them there. Just use your standalone option.)

http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&topic=2734694&gu ide=2734661&page=guide.cs

This page dealt with upload.

http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&topic=2734793&gu ide=2734661&page=guide.cs

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 11:34 PM   in reply to Dragonspear

Hi! Dragonspear... I have a question... I've been using  "Subtitle Edit" and everything seems to be normal but... when I export a .SCC - Scenarist Closed Caption file to adobe encore CS6 it doesn't work ... and I don't know why...

I mean when I've finished the proyect and I'm ready to build I get a window message that said "Closed caption file is invalid" please help me :´(

I think the problem could be the software "Subtitle Edit" because Encore work perfect when I don't use SCC files. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 8:52 PM   in reply to Robert-Art

Hi Robert-Art. At this current time I haven't found that Encore imports SCC files directly. The main subtitle format I've imported with Encore are those in a .txt format.

The nice thing about Subtitle Edit is that you can take your file and export it in any one of a hundred formats. When in Subtitle Edit do the following:

1. Open your closed captioning project.
    2. Click on File-Save As (top left of menu)
    3. It usually defaults to the .srt format. Instad of clicking on save, click the dropdown menu in the formats and choose an Adobe Encore .txt format.Untitled-1.gif
    4. Now click save and close your subtitle edit program.
    5. Open your Encore DVD project and click on the video timeline file you want your subtitles on. (they should be in your project bin)
    6. Now from the Encore menu you should be able to choose "Import Subtitle"
    7. You should be able to import the .txt version you saved from Subtitle Edit.

That should work!

For more help you can go to the URL below.

http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/using/subtitle-basics.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to Dragonspear

Thank you so much....     It´s realy work

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 6:28 PM   in reply to Robert-Art

____ You're welcome.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 10:44 AM   in reply to Dragonspear

Is there a solution for Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, that can convert Encore subtitles for uploading to Youtube? It seems Subtitle Edit is Windows-only.

Thanks,

Chris.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to Dragonspear

This is a life saver.

Can Subtitle Edit conform my 23.976 subtitles from Encore to 24 for Youtube?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to ddelay

I'm not certain I understand the question. As far as I know, YouTube plays everything back at your original frame-rates.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en&ref_topic=2888 648

Are you saying you want to convert your 23.976 footage to 24 and then upload?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to Dragonspear

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 9:09 PM   in reply to jdmack01

If you're on another OS or don't want to install Subtitle Edit (or you're a programmer who likes doing things manually) - you can use any application or website that allows Regex replace on the Encore-generated subtitle file:

Find: ^\d+\s((\d{2}:){3}\d{2})\s((\d{2}:){3}\d{2})\s(.*)$

Replace: \1,\3\n\5\n

Save as SubViewer .sbv

e.g.

http://www.sugarscript.com/findandreplace/index.php - using pattern modifiers: im

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 9:56 PM   in reply to stuarta0

Thank you stuaurta0. This is a great trick!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2014 3:33 PM   in reply to stuarta0

Slight update, YouTube didn't quite like the format as specified by the Wikipedia page for SubViewer file format.  The following regex makes YouTube happy.

Find: ^\d+\s((\d{2}):(\d{2}):(\d{2}):(\d{2}))\s((\d{2}):(\d{2}):(\d{2}):(\d {2}))\s(.*)$

Replace: $2:$3:$4.$5,$7:$8:$9.$10\n$11\n

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points