Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

How can I install a Flash update without installing McAfee?

Aug 28, 2012 8:35 AM

I have tried twice to install and have cancelled both times because it seemed that McAfee was installing. I have Norton installed and am happy with it. I don't object to Adobe's encouraging the use of a competing product, but I do insist on the freedom to decline, and I didn't see a way of doing it.

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to cynodontia

Cynodontia, there is not co-relation between Flash Player and Mcafee. Once you install Flash Player, you get an additional option to install Mcafee. You can simply, uncheck that checkbox and install Flash Player without installing Mcafee.

Hope that Helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 2:14 AM   in reply to Arpit Kapoor

Not quite right. McAfee is an  application completely unrelated to Flash and utterly unecessary for its operation, yet it is distributed with Flash Player.

Its installation is NOT optional: Installation is enabled by default. The only thing optional about it is to take a specific action and opt OUT of the installation.

I think the three questions that are properly relevant are:

Why is unrelated and unnecessary software being distributed with Flash player in the first place?

Why is its installation enabled by default?

Why is the software so awful that it has to be distributed in this way, rather than it being simply offered as a truly optional opt-IN addtion or, even better, simply offered separately on its OWN merit

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Oct 3, 2012 5:36 PM   in reply to AnotherAGladys

@AnotherAGladys - The answer is simply that Adobe offsets the ongoing development costs of Flash Player, which is made available for free, by offering users the option to download software from select Adobe partners.  I understand that this is a controversial change for some users and I'll make sure to represent your concerns to our management team.

The simplest and most straight forward alternative is to uncheck the checkbox. It’s an opt out situation, not opt in and I also understand your position on that.

If a user has selected the “Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)” update mechanism, then they will only be prompted for updates on major releases.  All zero day security updates will be installed silently, without any interaction from the user.  Also note that the user can simply decline the major update, in which case we will update Flash Player silently after 30 days.  No third party software will be involved.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 1:25 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris.

That only answers the first of those quesitons, which is that Adobe foists this rubbish on its users because gets a kickback for every instance of the parasiteware that is installed.

You also make the obvious oint that one can take specific action to avoid the malware.

What your reply does not say is:

Why is its installation enabled by default?

Why is the software so awful that it has to be distributed in this way, rather than it being simply offered as a truly optional opt-IN addtion or, even better, simply offered separately on its OWN merit

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 4:32 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I'm one of several of the users who have not seen the chechbox to disable McAfee installation.

Please help us blind dummies by being very explicit.

I'm using AR 10.1.4 on Win7

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2012 6:54 PM   in reply to JayCeegate

Yep, no check box for me either. I only had option to download and install Flash, McAfee showed up installing itself, I had to manually track it down and use the included uninstall option. I'm begining to rethink the usefullness, necessity of Flash player in the future???

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to cynodontia

Adobe, I'm a Flex developer (DoD, Fandango, Mashable, BigFish) and put out by this tactic.  Advertising and synergy is totally understandable, but the "opt out" paradaigm is very frustrating.  Preserving and restoring your brand should take precidence over using cheap buisness tactics to stay afloat.  At the very least, change it to "opt in".  I'm having to develop with a previous version of Flash Player because of this.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 2:22 AM   in reply to JosyfromBrasil

Luckily HTML5 is becoming more and more common so we won't have to deal with this 1990's style virusey marketing crap anymore, we won't even need flash!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 4:46 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

That is absolutely incorrect. There is no "checkbox" to "un-check". You sir, are a liar.

I will never install Flash again until there is an opt-out. Period.

Flash's relevancy on the web is insignificant anyway, as evidenced by your pulling such shady tactics to attempt to pay for development. People buying Flash CS6 & Flash Builder should pay for the development of Flash Player, but not as many people are buying those these days, are they?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Nov 9, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to coale.brian

@coale.brian - There should most definitely be a checkbox shown.  We've actually added code in the last month or two to make sure that you see this page first, even if you directly try to go to our final download page.  Please see the highlighted area in the screenshot below.

11-9-2012 4-54-10 PM.png

How did you receive notification of the update?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I see on this page that there is a checkbox:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

However, @Chris Campbell, the screenshot shown above is referring to installing Chrome and Google Toolbar.  Is that the correct screenshot?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Nov 9, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to whyDontUCmyLogin

You're correct, in the case of McAfee, it should look like this:

11-9-2012 5-15-35 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 8:07 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

You're laboring under the assumption that I actually went to seek Flash out and install it via your download page. What actually happened was I started my computer, and a large dark grey box popped up (not a browser) saying I needed to update flash. There were no check boxes, no opt-out, no notice that anything other than Flash was going to be installed. Yet, when the install started, the Flash installer immediately began installing McAfee without my consent. I immediately uninstalled it, just as I'm sure 99% of everyone else does, but that's still 5 minutes of my life I will never get back. Also, programs like McAfee are notorious for leaving junk files and registry entries behind, and I like to run a clean computer. Also, putting the "opt-out" on the download page, rather than the installer itself, is intentionally misleading. Most people won't be expecting to have to make that decision before they download the installer, and if they've already downloaded the installer, it likely won't occur to them that they need to go back to the web page, un-check the box, and re-download the installer. This whole thing is weak on the part of both Adobe & McAfee: McAfee for falsely boosting their 'units dowloaded' & 'units installed' numbers, and Adobe for using the same tactics warez-type sites and unreputible software makers use to 'cook the books' so to speak. Adobe should be collectively ashamed of itself for steeping to such lows.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to coale.brian

Same for me.

I need to use Revo Uninstaller to completely remove McAfee.

I use Kaspersky and do not need nor want another antivirus on my machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Every damn month I'm having to field questions from my mother as to whether she should install this extra rubbish or not. Now I find that it has been installed automatically as part of the latest security update, and so I face a 60 mile trip and god alone knows how many hours removing this installation from her PC.

It's disgusting that such a major player in the IT industry should resort to underhand practices like this, just to make a few measly bucks. As a former Flash developer I rue the day you ever got your hands on Macromedia and, for the first time, I'm endorsing the late Steve Job's contempt for your software.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 2:06 AM   in reply to Glosrfc

I use Firefox and have just been prompted to download the update program for the Flash plugin - this installs both the Flash plugin and MacAfee Security Scan Plus and gives absolutely no option not to install the MacAfee software - in fact it gives no options at all. I am disgusted at this underhand behaviour.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

On the last couple of updates, there is NO opt-out checkbox for McAffee. I get an update notification with an update downloader link. Once that's launched, there's simply a download timeline status for the Flash and McAffee that start automatically after launching the executable updated download.

I'm unistalling McAffee yet again.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Nov 12, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to BJN3

@coal.brian - The page in my screenshot is the page you are presented with after clicking the download button from the large gray "update" dialog you were presented.  Clicking the button launches the browser, which in turn has two pages that are displayed.  The first being the one that I used in the screenshot, the second being the download page (see below)

11-12-2012 10-42-01 AM.png

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we've added code to the second page (download) so that if you were to go there first, we automatically redirect you back to the first page (opt out) so that you have the opportunity to decline the software option.

If anyone would like to test this out, simply restart your browser and go to this download URL (note that this is the URL from the screenshot in this post):  https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=Flash_Player_11 _for_Other_Browsers&os=Windows%207&browser_type=Gecko&browser_dist=Fir efox&d=McAfee_Security_Scan_Plus_FireFox_Browser&dualoffer=false&type= au&browser_vers=16

If it works as designed, you will instead be silently redirected to the opt out page (see my earlier screenshot in this thread.)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to cynodontia

Just wanted to say I totally agree with the OP.

I'm sure Adobe gets lots of money for initially checking that McAffee checkbox, but you lost me as a customer because of it and I will investigate in alternatives for Flash

I spent like 1 hour removing all the McAffee crap after what I thought was a quick flash update and I didn't spot the checkbox unfortunately.

Thing is, I didn't know I should be that alerted when using software from a big company like Adobe.

Utterly unthankful way to deal with your customers.

I'm really thinking about making some blog on a big website making public more aware that we should boycot companies that allow installers like this.

Maybe even contact some politicians in the EU to point this out so they can forbid it.

At the moment I'm really disgusted by you Adobe. Bad bad bad buisiness.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to zandae

This is sooo bad I can't believe you are doing this. I just uninstalled your flash player, just like I uninstalled Daemon tools and other sofware long ago becuase I got tired of all crap that came with it. Luckily I'm aware of these cheap tricks so I have never happened to install anything by mistake. But I don't know how many times I have helped people with their computers because they have been starting to act weird and slow. And that's often because of multiple anti-virus and "protection" software, toolbars, and other software installed all over the place, without the user knowing it.

I'm thinking like this: If I feel have to be alerted when I install software, do I trust the source of the software? No I don't. Adobe is way past that point now. This kind of opt-out installation option relies on users not being on their toes while installing, or that they don't read everything you show them. You say, "hey, just untick that checkbox if you don't want to install that wonderful software", but really, if you seriously think most people read everything you show them, and that you are offering something that your users want, they would tick it if it was opt-in. You are intentionally trying to make the users of your software install software they don't want. That is not very nice of you, is it?

And last: Congratulations for making me register just for the purpose of writing this post. It's the first time it ever happened.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 6:48 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I have no objections to Adobe offsetting developement costs by giving users the option to install software from partners; however that being said on 11/19/2012 I was prompted to update Adobe Flashplayer - saved the file as directed - clicked on the downloaded file to begin installation and BOTH an updated version of Adobe Flashplayer was installed

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Nov 19, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to totenmaske

@totenmaske - I'm very interested in seeing this reproduced.  Please see this post for another response I made a few minutes ago.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4860432#4860432

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Add me to the list of people very unhappy with Adobe pushing McAffee or Chrome or any other un needed software on me. I'm sure it won't do any good but I will not give Adobe any good feedback until they stop doing it. I will try to avoid the products as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Count me among those who feel Adobe has tarnished their reputation with this under-handed move of bundling other software, by default, with the Flash update. For this I would rank Adobe as low as Oracle (who's Java updates also install unwanted software by default) except for the fact that I'm a big fan of Photoshop.

Adobe, when you start operating with such seemingly desperate tactics, I begin to question the future of your organization. A prosperous organization treats their users with respect, not deceit. I do not feel respected, I feel deceived.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

@Chris, I love how you keep calling me a liar over and over again. I know what I saw, and your insistance upon repeatedly showing me a screenshot of a page the installer never took me to is not going to change the facts. I also have no intention on wasting my valuable time trying to 'reproduce' anything. Your development team should already be very familiar with the installer they created, and if they are not, then you need a new one. A quick Google search shows multitudes of people who have had the same issue, many from this very forum, and all of whom are being shown that same tired screenshot and lack of respect by the Adobe team. Might I also add that having an opt-out check box that is 'opted-in' by default and placed on the page in an intentionally obscure manner is not much of an improvement.

Also, please note that I am not some Adobe Flash/Acrobat Reader freebee user. I am a professional who has been using Adobe products from PageMaker all the way up to CS6 for well over a decade. You have my money already. So this isn't just lowering my opinion of Flash, but of ALL Adobe products I use on a daily basis to do my business. I have been an avid brand evangelist for years, so this is disappointing to say the least. 'The higher you rise' i guess...

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Dec 5, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to coale.brian

@coale.brian - I haven't called you a liar, but I apologize if you've inferred that from my responses.

I realize that you do not want to spend any additional time on this subject, but if anyone else can help me reproduce this issue, I'm willing to drop what I'm doing to see this occur.  Shoot an email to ccampbel@adobe.com and we can go from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

The only real way to fix this is to have the extra software an opt-in choice. Make the, "Click Here To Get This Amazing Additional Software Package", button as big as you want. But do not force it on me. Opt-In is the only way for Adobe to be respectful to their clients and audience.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Dec 5, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to sjfaust

@sjfaust - I understand your position on making this an "opt in" instead of "opt out" choice and have relayed this to the team.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 5:48 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Just thought of something that could make Opt-In a more attractive option for Adobe. Some of the more recent advertising strategies allow ad skipping. This works because they then charge the business buying the ad more for each ad that was not skipped. Those people like the message enough to watch the ad. Adobe should charge more for opt-in installations because those people wanted the software and may pay the upgrade next year.

Please pass this thought along to the proper department.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

CHRIS.  WE JUST DON'T WANT IT!!!.

It's not the fact that you have to pay attention to what you click.  Flash seems to update every other day (more than any other software I have) and every time you forget to click "DON'T LOAD MCAFEE" you have to go back and unstall the software.  I personally prefer KASPERSKY don't want to have anything to do with McAfee  (or Google or any other third party package).  Hence I find it quite annoying to have to click that little box every time flash updates.  Unfortunatly popular sites like You Tube don't seem to work so well without Flash.

You need to have some method of remembering what the user pressed the last time he/she updated and keep it the same.

Once an alternative to flash is easy to find I'm out of here!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 5:02 AM   in reply to Annas58

p.s.  I've already abandoned Adobe PDF reader and gone for a suitable alternative reader, and Flash Player is next!

http://lifehacker.com/5328211/five-best-pdf-readers

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to cynodontia

Hi,

every one.

If a user has selected  to the Allow Adobe to install updates recommended . update mechanism, then they will only be prompted for updates on major releases.  All zero day security updates will be installed silently, without any interaction from the user.  Also note that the user can simply decline the major update, in which case we will update Flash Player silently after 30 days.  No third party software will be involved.

Thanks,

www.myniagaratours.com

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 9:14 PM   in reply to Arpit Kapoor

Just adding one more voice of dissatisfaction to this Adobe posture of making the "opt in" option the default one.

The argument that this is a mechanism to offset development costs seems weak, since you have to pay to develop in Flash.

Additionally, in account of recent news regarding the owner of McAfee, it's particularly surprising Adobe still chooses to associate so lightly with this company.

Btw, noticed the default options for registering to this forum were also to get a bunch of spam mail from Adobe. Unchecked them all...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I just looked this up in the forum because what has clearly happened to many others just happened to me, in February 2013 NB. I am very careful with my installations, and I noticed no opt-in or opt-out button for McAfee. I am not swearing it wasn't there, just that I didn't notice it, so if it was there it clearly wasn't that obvious. I will now have to go and uninstall McAfee, which I don't want, and don't feel as though I should have to spend the time doing so!

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Feb 19, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to John Probert

As Chris352 noted, there are a few options you have if you don't want to deal with optional third party installs.  Please see this FAQ that describes the process that you should be presented with and all of the options available when updating.

Flash Player installation and update questions and answers

@John Probert - If you are able to reproduce a case where you don't see the opt-out checkbox, please let me know.  I've been trying to find one of these cases for months so that we can fix it, however no one has been able to reproduce the issue.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 6:35 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I also DO NOT get a check box option in your newest update.  Although in previous update I did.  I will NOT update my adobe until you remove this auto download feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 6:41 PM   in reply to alohamomma

alohamomma wrote:

I also DO NOT get a check box option in your newest update.  Although in previous update I did.  I will NOT update my adobe until you remove this auto download feature.

And why do you feel the need to file an Abuse Report against your fellow forum users, especially since you seem to agree with them??

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Sorry I have some visual problems and I thought I was reporting the replay from Adobe.  I just wanted to make sure they would actually read it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to cynodontia

For me, upon bootup, I got the flash update request, and when I assented, both mcafee and flash installed, without asking me about mcafee. I did NOT get that nice "install crap" screen shown above in this thread. Yes, I've seen it in the past; not this time.

1. Adobe, you dirty your reputation by installing crapware alongside flash, even in the case where it's possible to opt out.

2. Why do I have to say "no" to the crapware each and every time you want to install a flash update?? If I once say "no" to your crapware, please remember that setting and make it the default for the next time. If this simple task is beyond you, WHY should I trust your software when I edit my pictures and videos.

3. Why can't you reproduce this? Many people are experiencing it. If your (Adobe's) sw skills are so weak that you can't even get the crapware install to work correctly, WHY should I trust your software when I edit my pictures and videos?

I recently bought an adobe product for which there is a very viable competitor. I really thought hard, but went with the adobe product because I've been pretty happy with other adobe products in the past. If this mcafee auto install had happened just prior to my decision, it might have gone the other way. In other words, you don't just gain the pennies per mcafee install, you sometimes lose dollars on sales because of this "screw the customer and install the crapware" policy, and without question you lose respect continuously.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points