Skip navigation
remmie_web
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver constantly freezing when ftp connection times-out

Aug 28, 2012 4:52 PM

Tags: #dreamweaver #cs6 #ftp

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone's encountered this problem - when uploading via ftp and the connection times out Dreamweaver freezes - you can't close it, it just keeps saying "connection timed out", won't stop the process and the only way to get it back to work is to force close it. Happens on a very regular basis and is quiet frustrating. I'm using Adobe CS6 on a windows 7 machine.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to remmie_web

What are you trying to upload via ftp?  File size?  Is this regular FTP, SFTP, FTPS?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 7:41 PM   in reply to remmie_web

remmie_web wrote:

It's usually just html and css files, so they're mostly under 10kb. Sometimes it'll be images - but they're usually under the 100kb mark. It's regular ftp.

I am using Windows 7 and I haven't seen this on my system.  Have you updated your CS6 with recent patch that corrects many of the FTP problems expressed by users here? It's worth a try if you haven't done it yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 10:33 PM   in reply to remmie_web

I have this exact same problem too. As does my colleague. We're both using CS6 on Windows 7.

Dreamweaver is practically unusable as it continually times out the FTP upload, freezes and needs to be force-quit.

We have both installed the patch, which failed to make any difference.

Any help would be most appreciated. I'm currently at my wits end.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to ScottWeb105

Switch to a 3rd party FTP app like Filezilla or Cute ftp. 

If the problem persists in Filezilla, you can rule out DW as the source of your problem.

If the problem does not persist in Filezilla, at least you have a way to upload files.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to remmie_web

Remmie, sorry for the lack of help you've received when contacting our Support.

We'll need some more info from you to help determine the cause.

Can you share your FTP log from before/when/after it times out and freezes?

Go to Site > Advanced > FTP Log to display this information.

Also, do you have any security software, like a firewall or antivirus, installed on your computer?

If so, what all do you have?

Sometimes problems like this can be caused be unexpected interference between Dreamweaver and another program.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to remmie_web

I have this exact same problem with Dreamweaver CS4.  Attempting to "cancel" the eternal timeout has no effect, and I just have to force the program to close.  This mostly seems to occur when I've left Dreamweaver idle for some time.  It seems like the FTP connection times out (probably on the server end), and then Dreamweaver has a hiccup trying to re-establish connection.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to ENT Matt

This just starting happening to me today, although often times in the past the FTP connection is severed for no apparent reason. I have never had to force quite DW because of a connection timeout. I confirm that ACE FTP works flawlessly but that application doesn't have the synch capability, so I'm a bit hooped at the moment. Frustrating!

Windows XP, DW CS 5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Nov 7, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to Harv Craven Design - HCD

Win 7 64 bit Dreamweaver CS 6 creative cloud version, just logging that I also have this issue making FTP in Dreamweaver impossible.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to Duotone

Just blew away my Dreamweaver install including prefs and reinstalled without applying any updates but the issue remains. Would be great to know if this is being looked at by Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to remmie_web

I can confirm I am also having this problem. I have to crash out Dreamweaver CS6 every now and again as it gets stuck on "Operation timed out. Cancelling". Before (CS5) I could force this timeout to cancel itself but not anymore, it just hangs forever now.

This happens with various FTP servers, all fine with Filezilla. It's really been an issue with CS5 too, except that I could force it to stop without crashing out Dreamweaver.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 4:42 PM   in reply to Duotone

Well, Adobe support is in fine form, I opened a support ticket which has been totally ignored. It looks like the issue has existed in Dreamwaever since CS5 at least so i guess they don't know how to fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to Duotone

What setting do you use to connect to remote host?

If you now connect with FTP, try using SFTP. 

Also, see screenshot below for more options to try.

DWCS6-moreOptions.jpg

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Hi Nancy, thanks for that, the issue lies more with how Dreamweaver behaves if you lose the connection which can and will happen rather than the ability to connect to a given ftp server.

Dreamweaver takes up to 5 minutes to cancell the operation (see log in remmie_web's post above) If you look at the start and end time of the Operation timed out. Cancelling... entries it continues for 5 minutes which is my experience everytime the connection fails for any reason. the only way around this is to force quit.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to Duotone

Hello,

Dreamweaver 6 latest cloud ver.

Pref: FTP Disconnect unchecked (tried checked)

Site setup: Passive mode checked (tried unchecked)

OSX

Yes exactly ... no problem initially ftping in to any server.

It's after that... do some work for 3-5 minutes come back, try to upload it ... connection has timed out.

So then I have to try to disconnect, wait because server has timed out so usually cancel this, then login again , and upload the file.

Very annoying ... used to work fine.

Help please ....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 5:53 AM   in reply to kirby421

I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I was so frustrated with the FTP that I downloaded the now free MS product Expression Web - before coming back to DW for one last try. What worked for me was setting the preferences value as follows: Edit menu>> Preferences>>Site>>'FTP Connection' checked and set to 'Disconnect after 0 minutes idle' . I have all of the checkboxes under 'More options in the Site set up UNCHECKED. Did that via Site menu>>Manage sites...>>[2-click to select your current site]>>Servers>>[2-click on your server]>>'More options'>>Uncheck all boxes. I'm not sure which part of that was the crucial change, but I suspect that the 'Disconnect after 0 minutes' is what matters and that other settings will either be correct for your server or not be, with behaviour being pretty consistent either way. Since I changed, I have had excellent FTP. Before, DW would frequently hang and seem to be in a perpetual 'connected but not transferring anything' state.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to ultrageoffk

Last few weeks I had the same problem.
    Googling all over and trying everything.
    Finaly, today I was connect, just to see what will happend, laptop on my mobile internet provider (and disconnect from cable, home internet connection from another provider).
    Upload and download over dreamweaver was "flying" without any problem??!!..
    So, after that I was try again with cable connection and different provider...same thing:
    "Waiting for server...." and "Operation timed out. Cancelling..."
    I was repeated several times both connection dowloading and uploading the same file on same server.
    With mobile phone provider was working perfect, and with home connection with cable or wi-fi...was the same, errors.
    So I'm 100% sure that the problem is in my internet provider or my router.
    It's optical cable internet connection with 25 mb download and 2 mb upload working with ThomsonTWG87 router.
    Firewall on router is off...

What should I try to fix the problem?
    Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to Elcroata

Support? Crickets? I have multiple DW CS6 users experiencing the same issues for months. No help whatsoever. Is it time to look for another development software?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 1:17 PM   in reply to RobbRokk

Actual Adobe staff doesn't come to the user to user forums all that often.

For what it's worth, your problem sounds like a router or modem issue as you say.

The best way to fix a router or modem problem is to do what you did, which was use a different router or modem.

If you are using a router, try connecting directly to the modem instead and see if that works. If it does, replace your router. If it doesn't, talk to your cable company and get a new modem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 1:21 PM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

We are absolutely certain here that it's not a modem, router, or server issue. After months of troubleshooting we are certain it's a DW issue. We were emailing back and forth with DW support team members but after about four back and forths they dropped off the map. Gone. No help whatsoever. They've admitted to having issues but haven't offered any real solutions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to RobbRokk

Ah, I'm sorry RobbRokk, I though your "crickets" post was a continuation of Elcroata's post (#19 above) which definitely sounds like a hardware problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to Elcroata

I just want to chime in here to say I have had same problem. FTP was a primary reason that I upgraded from CS5 to CS6 and it has disappointed me.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Gary Sprung

I'm having this problem too. Or a version of this problem. It happens whenever I set up a new site, add ftp and then save the settings. DW will crash. Just happened this morning setting up a client's earthlink site. Made the new connection, tested, it hung, then dw crashed. Reopened, entered settings again, tested, saved. Then went to connect to the new site, connected, DW crashed. This has been going on since CS5, now on CS6 subscription. Both Vista 64. In all cases I can connect with an alternate ftp program without issue. Occasionally I will get a hang/crash on connecting, but for whatever reason it happens without fail whenever I change or update ftp server settings. It's annoying because I lose whatever I was working on and have to reopen all files. It's been regular enough that I know to close everything before I change any ftp settings.

Any help would be great...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to product9

Under More Options, see screenshot:

DWCS6-moreOptions.jpg

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

I'm having the exact same problem. When it's trying to connect, you can't even access the Manage Sites dialogue. Very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 7:54 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Thanks for trying. Unfortunatly toggling those options doesn't prevent the crashing. Today, in a particulary hard crash, I got a "Data Execution Prevention" message from Windows. Always on FTP settings changes/testing. It usually takes two crashes for me to get the settings in place and working...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to product9

This is definitely a problem. It seems like it just started occuring with CS6 in the last week.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to remmie_web

Win 8 Pro 64bit, CS6 64bit....Same problem... (I tried Nancy O's fix, no dice)

How can a company like Adobe, not get FTP'ing down... #FAIL

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to product9

I'm now on Windows 8, CS6. Still having the ftp crashes! I think it's a bug.

It happens on the first connection to the server after settings are changed. I can usually create, then test the ftp settings. Once I save and close the Manage Sites dialogue box and go to the Files panel to connect. That first connection after settings change will crash DW.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 5:07 AM   in reply to product9

Hello -

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Quick question - are you using the Creative Cloud version of CS6 and if so have you updated to the latest?

Just trying to make sure we have the correct version number...

Thanks.

- AG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to ag415

Yes...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to ag415

Yes. I am using CS6 Version 12.2 build 6006.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 11:14 PM   in reply to product9

Hi,

Please enable check-in / check-out present in the advanced section of the server setup dialog. Give a check-out name and save the information. Now try put/get of the files and let us know the status.

image.fw.png

Thanks,

Srivatsa

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Apr 4, 2013 1:30 AM   in reply to NDSRIVATSA

thx ndsrivatsa..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to NDSRIVATSA

I have tried that. For almost a year I have fought with dw FTP issues. It kills my productivity. I am a professional and most developers I know fight with it as well.

Robb

Sent from my iPad

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to NDSRIVATSA

Hello,

I'm starting to think this is a Router/Modem problem, or is it Dreamweaver not negotiating correctly with this modem/router.

I take my iMac to either of my brother-in-laws ... one on rogers.com, one on Bell ... use Dreamweaver no problems with ftp timing out after a minute.

Prior to updating my modem/router from Rogers, no problems.

This modem/router is a Cisco DPC3825.

Called Rogers... this is above there technical capability... nobody really got what I was talking about.

Called Cisco ... would not help, this is Rogers responsibility to support.

So I'm thinking of buying a new Dlink ....

But what a waste of time... ahhh!!!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points