Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Save for Web won't resize

Aug 28, 2012 5:00 PM

Anyone else having issues with the Save for Web in Illustrator CS6? I am on a Windows 7 system and now that the APPLY button is gone Save for Web is not working.

Put in a new size and nothing happens. If I fiddle with random buttons for 5-10 minutes I can finally get the image to refresh to the size I want, but it's all random and doesn't work the same everytime.

Makes a 3 sec job take 15 mins which is terrible. Going to go back to CS5 if there's no fix for this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to Artcetra

Have you tried the new update to CS6.0.1? Said something about fixing a Save for Web bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 4:33 AM   in reply to Artcetra

The Save for Web resizing bug is fixed. Yay!

If it's not working for you, I suggest you quit the app, trash your preferences & start it again. It should work.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to Artcetra

artcetra,

Maybe if I uninstall CS6 completly and then reinstall.

If you do, you should run the Cleaner Tool in between.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to Artcetra

It is really hard to help you guys when you don't tell us about your system, platform etc.

But besidess the prefrences you should e ttrashing the settings folder not just the preference file and there is a save for the web preferences folder as well that can go also and if on a mac then you want to also get rid of the com.adobe.illustrator.plist which i think also exists on windows. I do not think you have to reinstall.

for the Mac

1. Quit Illustrator.
    2.Go to User/username/Library/Preferences/ Adobe illustrator CS6 Settings and trash the settings folder, the whole folder not just the contents of the folder..
    3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

For the PC.

1. Quit Illustrator.
    2. Rename the AIPrefs file (for example, to AIPrefs.old) in the Users/(user)/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings folder.
    3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to Artcetra

When you tab out of the Width (or Height) field or click in the other field, the update will happen. It won't automatically refresh on changing values, nothing wonky about it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 10:20 PM   in reply to Artcetra

Yes, I can also see what you are seeing. Unfortunately this is a bug. Looks like this has cropped up because of the other resizing bug (where when you input a value, say 1200, the value got truncated to 120) that they fixed in the update. Go right ahead and report it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Artcetra

Same issue here. EXTREMELY frustrating. I may do some video captures of what's going on and post it up on youtube or try to find a way to send it to Adobe. Today I had to save out about 6 different logos in Save for Web, each in a JPEG, GIF, and PNG formats, so that was 18 different saves, and it's a complete pain in the butt. I usually have to hit the "Clip to Artboard" setting a couple of times before it will catch and the image refresh. I've tried tabbing from number to number, and clicking on different fields, and the Clip to Artboard setting seems to be the only thing that I can toggle that will change it nearly 100% of the time, but having to toggle it on and off trying to get it to catch is ridiculously stupid. It's basically like kicking the dashboard in your car to get the air conditioner to work...rather than actually having it fixed and working the way it should. Hey Adobe....I'm sick of kicking the dashboard in CS6 with all of these bugs (this is one of many I've seen)

Just put the stupid "Apply" button back, Adobe. It wasn't broke, why the crap did you think it was necessary to "fix"? Did you really think it was that much of a hassle for us to hit the "Apply" button to refresh the settings? I never once said to myself "Hitting this stupid Apply button is so cumbersome! I wish they would just take it out and auto-update everything as I type!" It's like you guys were just reaching for petty little things to jack with instead of actually trying to create nice new features. Stroke width adjustment=good new idea. Messing with basic fundamental features that perfect as they were=dumb.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to Artcetra

I too am having this problem and have just resorted to "Exporting" the file as a jpeg from illustrator..  The only way I could get it to resize was to change from "Text Optimization" to either "None'" or "Art Optimization".  At least it has quite changing the value when I typed 500 pixels in the sizing box.  It used to automatically change it to 50 and I'd have to do it multiple times. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 10:46 PM   in reply to Artcetra

I do have the same problem, it was easy & quick in CS5, but fails now in CS6 - as webdesigner I realy depend on this workflow. Sure there are more of us. Please fix this bug!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2012 3:00 AM   in reply to Artcetra

I have the latest updates yet also having the same issue.

Will also be raising a ticket regarding this.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2012 7:34 PM   in reply to Artcetra

i'm having the same problem, but if i cycle through the linked dimensions (chain icon) i can get it to resize and maintain my proportions...hope that helps

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to noddinghead

need to specify that the H or W dimension that i designate is highlighted when i cycle through the linked dimensions icon...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to noddinghead

noddinghead posted the same solution I'm using...
    1: when ready with your "export" click save for web
    2: UNCHECK the "chain icon" to disable proportions in the Image Size box.
    3: enter your correct width or height (one or the other, not both)

4: click the Chain icon to activate proportion resizing
    5: enjoy your image resizing.

It's very annoying that "tabbing" does not activate the change like it has in every single other adobe progam.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 1:53 AM   in reply to Artcetra

This is incredibly frustrating, especially as it relates to an absolutely essential piece of functionality. I am on Windows 7 64 bit and I have found (though it seems that results may vary with any of these solutions) that if I change the values in the width and height fields, and then change the value in the Optimization dropdown, that it convinces Illustrator to resize the image. You can then reset the  optimization to 'none', if that is what you actually require, and the new dimensions maintain.  This seems to work irrespective of whether or not the porportion lock is activated .

I can't believe that Adobe would overlook something so integral, and I expect this to be resolved soon!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 4:27 AM   in reply to Artcetra

Same problem here. Every single app in CS6 has serious issues, how can Adobe release this crap?!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to Artcetra

Typical Adobe, as of lately. I opened a thread over on the Photoshop forums regarding CS6's lack of thumbnail previews when in list view on Windows, and they marked it as "Not a Problem". Seems Adobe is deciding for us which features are important and which are not.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 12:32 AM   in reply to Artcetra

Hi checked if you resize document and choose donebut it will not work eachtime. Follw these steps deffinaly it will work. ---

To resize the document from "save for web"

1. input size or precentage and press white color box from below

blur.

2. color window will open wait for resize document automatically

3. Now cancel the color pannel and save it.

2. done.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 11:40 PM   in reply to rakesh00001

This is totally erratic for me. I too couldnt get it to resize consistently. Thanks to the advice here i trashed preferences and indeed it worked ok the first time, then not the second :-( so i tried clicking into the size boxes after and it was working but then again not always, so i've been using the color box option. Thanks for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 12:08 AM   in reply to Pmckay1976

just to update - again erratic, as now none of the clicking in boxes, or choosing color boxes works consistently. what is happening consistently is the '4' in '714' pixels keeps dropping off every time i click out to try and resize. So this is now driving me mad, after trying some of the fixes here...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 12:17 AM   in reply to Pmckay1976

actually looked back throught proposed fixes and thanks to Axiom Designs for the only fix that consistently works!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points