Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Highlight around shape when it is selected.

Aug 29, 2012 9:19 AM

I am wondering how to get rid of the hightlight around a shape when it's selected. In cs4, if you selected a shape in the layer panel, it would highlight around the shape, but if you clicked the shape twice, the highlight would go away. The layer would still be selected, but it wouldnt have the dark line around the shape.

I do a ton of design with photoshop and whenver I try and drop the opacity on a 1px line, I can't see the difference b/c of the dark outline on the line since it's selected. I have to change the opacity, select another layer so I can actually see the line, then select the line again and rinse and repeat until I am satisfied.

I'm sorry but I have searched awhile looking for the solution but I can't find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Gary

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 29, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to uphamg

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum.

What you're seeing is normal - the new "shape layer" abstraction causes the path to be displayed by default when you select a shape layer.  You can hide it if you click on the Shape Path icon in the Properties panel.

HideShapeLayerPath.gif

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 29, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to uphamg

Not that I know of, though watch for some possibility of something new (like whether it's on or off to become modal) in 13.0.1.  There was a fairly big discussion about this change back in the time of the public beta of Photoshop CS6.

I've gotten used to just naturally turning it off when I want to see how layer effects look, but it's not really something that should be wasting people's time and taking their minds off what they're doing.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 29, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to uphamg

uphamg wrote:

...I guess if they changed it, it had to be in the best interest of the majority of people...

No. There really has been nothing but complaints about the workflow disruptions that are a result of the botched attempt by Adobe to pretend CS6 Shape Layers are a "special new type of layer". CS6 Shape Layers are simply the old "Fill Layer with Vector Mask" with an additional stroke attribute. However, in trying to make them seem "special", inconveniences and inconsistencies have been introduced to Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 29, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to conroy

conroy2009 wrote:

No. There really has been nothing but complaints

I'm personally with both of you on this, as I don't find the new way better either, but we power users don't always define what the "best interest for the majority of people" are. 

Adobe would like nothing more than to be able to sell its expensive licenses to a lower level of user - of which there are many.  Increasing market penetration is how to grow a business, and apparently if a business isn't growing it's failing in these modern times.

I have no inside info, but just as a guess it could be that Adobe's support organization reported a great deal of support cost from coaching people on combining the concepts of vector masks and fills to make "shapes".  Voila, a project to "simplify" Photoshop so beginners could get started more easily.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Now since CS6, and it's also now November 2012, I was searching the forum for exactly this.. as of now, as anyone found a work-around for this? It is very annoying to be working on a shape layer's stroke and having this highlight because it's selected.. wow I would think (a key + selecting layer) could work for selecting a layer without having highlight. Or even put the option in preferences.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points