Skip navigation
office@gumspringumc.org
Currently Being Moderated

Print Booklet reporting different page sizes

Aug 30, 2012 8:54 AM

I recently had to reload InDesign CS6 and now on my 16 page booklet I get an error that says the pages are different sizes and it cannot print in "print booklet".  Only after I reloaded the program did I start having this problem. I have been using this booklet template for months. I can save to PDF but prefer to print from InDesign.

Branched from an earlier discussion.
 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to office@gumspringumc.org

    I've branched this off into a new discussion and retitled it for,I hope, some more clarity.

     

    I find it pretty difficult to believe that reinstalling ID would have any effect on your template. What you are seeing is much more likel the result of having used the page tool on the file someplace, perhaps by accident.

     

    The page tool is not something I use, but I think if you select each page with it you can verify that they all have the correct size.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to office@gumspringumc.org

    Do you have another machine you can try it on?

     

    Hae you tried exporting to .idml: Remove minor corruption by exporting

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to office@gumspringumc.org

    Are you willing to let me look at it here?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to office@gumspringumc.org

    I'm sending you an upload link by private message.

     

    You should delete your personal info when you reply by email. It all gets posted on the web. I'll delete it from your last post for you.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

    I got your file, and I have bad news and good news. We'll start with the bad news.

     

    It does the same thing here. I tried export to .idml, resizing all the pages withthe page tool, and moving the pages into a new file, all without success. My conclusion is there's a page that's corrupt and thinks it's a size that it is not. I looked at the file history, and I see it began life in CS5.5, crashed at least twice and was recovered and went from being edited in version 7.5.0 to 7.5.2 and then back to 7.5.0 before being opened and converted in CS6. My suspicion is that you recycle this file month after month by deleting the stuff that no longer applies, then adding new stuff in. Working that way, over time, small errors can creep into a file, none of which might be enough to cause a problem on its own, but taken together they create a disaster. Version 7.5.0 was buggy, too, so that may not have helped, either.

     

    With a document like this, where a lot of the content is the same over a long period I recommend creating a "shell" document with the things that repeat, your styles, and any swatches you use, then save it as a template file (.indt). For each new version you open the template, whcih gives you a fresh copy. If there is somthing from the previous version that should be reuded, copy and paste from the older version into the new one, or place it again. This workflow greatly reduces the chances of cumulative file damage.

     

    Now for the good news.

     

    While moving the pages to a new document was not successful, going spread by spread, selecting all, copying, then pasting in place in a new doc did work.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)