Skip navigation
99jon 12,821 posts
Jan 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

LR 4.2RC performance.

Aug 30, 2012 1:06 PM

Tags: #performance #speed #lr4.2rc

I’m testing the latest version before thinking of upgrading from LR3. I do like camera raw 7.2 which is a real positive.

I’m not really seeing any improvements in speed since the beta version. So I don’t believe any significant performance changes have been made.

I’m using a DNG workflow with fast load data. Has anyone else noticed any improvement?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to 99jon

There were many comments the first day after it was released on the existing performance-related threads.  Many saw improvements, but some did not.  Maybe one or two thought it was slower. 

In the last day I remember someone saying things sped up significantly if they disabled CPU hyperthreading (8-virtual cores, down to 4 real cores), and someone else said they disabled AI-Boost in the BIOS and it performed better, though I’m not sure what that is.

You might remind us what your specific slowness has been, and the degree—whether things seemed twice as slow as LR3 or 10 times a slow, taking 30-seconds to render a preview and having sluggish slider movement—10 seconds before the slider moves after being dragged, for example.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to 99jon

I should have added that many of the comments about performance were over in the newer feedback area, not this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to 99jon

Since you say you are thinking of upgrading from LR 3.x to LR 4, are you asking about improvements between LR 4.1-trial and LR 4.2 RC where most people who are commenting are trying to use LR 4.1 and finding it impossibly slow for some unknown reason but many find LR 4.2RC an improvement, or are you asking about LR 4.x being a little slower than LR 3.x which would be expected since the PV2012 stuff is more complicated and Auto-CA removal is as well, if it is turned on, even if you are not being hit by the problem of pathological slowness that some people were experiencing with LR 4.1?

Your saying that you think previews are softer is interesting because there is a discussion in the ACR forum about some people’s reduced-size Bridge previews using ACR 7.2RC, I think, not having sharpening applied and perhaps not have NR applied whereas the 1:1 Loup view does show the full effect of the raw adjustment parameters as it should.  One thing it could be is that there is a different amount of NR and sharpening being applied to LR 4.x previews compared to LR 3.x previews and this manifests as perceived softness.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 11:18 PM   in reply to 99jon

|> "So I don’t believe any significant performance changes have been made."

If Lr4b-Lr4.1 were already running normally on your machine, then you will notice no significant performance improvements in Lr4.2RC1.

BIG performance improvements came to *some* users who were having abnormal performance problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 2:03 AM   in reply to 99jon

i have no big problem with lightrooms overall performance.

editing speed is fine, thumbnail display speed is fine.

BUT... switching from the library to the develop modul often takes 2-3 seconds.

that´s  too much!!

it´s a bad working experience and adobe should really work on this.

my system:

i7 2600k

32 gb ram

nvidia GTX 670

240 GB samsung 830 ssd (windows boot)

120 GB samsung 830 ssd (for lightroom catalog)

12 GB ramdisk for temp files etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 3:20 AM   in reply to hamada2003

hamada2003 wrote:

BUT... switching from the library to the develop modul often takes 2-3 seconds.

that´s  too much!!

Every time you switch to Develop Module, or just the first time you use Develop when you run LR?

On my 2-year-old i7-930, it takes around 6 seconds switching from Library to Develop first time, then less than a second thereafter. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 3:43 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

it happens always the first time i switch to the develop modul.. then it´s usually faster yes... but not always.

sometimes the lag happens when i worked for while in all the LR modules. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to hamada2003

"On my 2-year-old i7-930, it takes around 6 seconds switching from Library to Develop first time, then less than a second thereafter. "

That is because the first time in any Lightroom session you switch to Develop, the Lens Correction Profiles need to load so that you can use them timely.

Same thing for the Book Module, When you click on Book the first time, it has to load all those book templates into memory. In addition, it has to load fonts (Book as a more sophistictated text engine) and if you have a lot of fonts, you get a lot of delay.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points