Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

convert .eps from CMYK black to %100 black

Aug 30, 2012 4:50 PM

Alright, I have a grunge vector I'm using in an opacity mask over my shapes. I need to convert my .eps grunge vector to full black, if I dont then the end result looks fine in illustrator...but when brought into PS you can still see light pieces of the object that the grunge was supposed to mask out.

When I click the eps file and use %100 black: instead of filling the grunge bits to black, it fills the entire selection black so I end up with a big black box, and if I use the stroke, it outlines the box itself. I tried making a compound path and also expanding the grunge, then retrying but no dice. Does AI recognize this eps file as one big square selection?

How do I get my .eps grunge vector %100 black rather than the CMYK black?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to mhossey

Select the objects of interest and press F3, to get Recolor Artwork window. Select the desired color, change the sliders at the bottom to CMYK and change as desired.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 9:04 PM   in reply to mhossey

Did you select something before choosing recolor artwork?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to mhossey

Is the artwork vector objects or raster image/s? Recolor Artwork doesn't work for raster images and all you can do is convert them to grayscale so all the ink is on the K channel but you won't be able to change the K value for individual pixels in Illustrator. Just global control with Adjust colors only.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to emil emil

You have to tick the pref box in recolor art and tell it to not preserve current blacks.

colorreduction.png

An easier way.... Select the art and choose Edit > Edit Colors > Convert to Grayscale, and then ensure it's 100%k in the Color panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to mhossey

If you can select an object from your .eps artwork and change its color in the color panel, then the recolor artwork should work too. Can you do that? .eps can contain and be raster image too.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to mhossey

Then I suspect your texture is full of either white filled shapes or non-filled shapes. When you select things, is the color panel full of question marks? That would indicate multiple colors are selected.

The "greying out" of Edit > Edit Colors > Convert to xxxx would indicate a linked file, not an embeded one. Those options will work for embedded iamges.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to mhossey

mhossey wrote:

"When I click the eps file and use %100 black: instead of filling the grunge bits to black, it fills the entire selection black so I end up with a big black box, and if I use the stroke, it outlines the box itself."

This is what happens when I select the artwork and use the color pane

What is "the entire selection"? One or more objects, and what kind of objects?

Check the layer panel and expand the layer and the nested groups if any in your object to see what are you selecting. Is thee any item in the selection that is named "image"? You described what is possible if you select multiple objects and the top object covering all objects is a box without a fill. If there is a raster image in the selection Recolor Artwork will be gray out but you can still apply to all vector objects in the selection a color from the Color panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to mhossey

You can't do anything of that sort to a linked file. Do not drag and drop or place the file. Instead use File > Open.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points