• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to disable update notifications for reader and flash player

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully I'm asking this question in the right place.   Please direct me if I'm not.

Due to some issues with alot of our applications that are web-enabled and rely in IE.  When are 1500+ users get prompted to up date reader or flash player they do not understand to turn off the 'optional' check mark to download and install chrome.

This cause multiple helpdesk calls as their web-enabled apps do not work correctly in chrome.

We had found documention: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_Updater.pdf

to disable the update notifications, however  checking both xp and win7 machines, the key mentioned on page 16  of the pdf mentioned above, did not exist in HKLM, but did find it in HKCU.   Tried to create the iCheck and iCheckReader in both places but not sure if they are actually working.

Here is our actual goal:  We just don't want users prompted to update reader or flash player because of the chrome install.   We don't want reader or flash to update 'automatically'; We still want the ability to update it manually.

How can we turn off any auto update functionality, and prompting of updates so users never see them in both apps?

We currently have users with reader, 8, 9 and 10.

if you can provide documentation, detailed steps, registry keys, etc.  I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Chad

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

You need to use featurelock down key to disable updater for Acrobat and Reader. As per the documentation, http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_Updater.pdf

you have obtained, has all the information.

Refer the section 2.5.2

E.g. Use the following registry to turn off updater on Reader 10 on 32 bit OS.

Reader

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\FeatureLockDown]

"bUpdater"=dword:00000000

I have no idea on how to disable updates for Flash. You need

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use featurelock down key to disable updater for Acrobat and Reader. As per the documentation, http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_Updater.pdf

you have obtained, has all the information.

Refer the section 2.5.2

E.g. Use the following registry to turn off updater on Reader 10 on 32 bit OS.

Reader

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\FeatureLockDown]

I have no idea on how to disable updates for Flash. You need to post in Flash Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about for version 8 and 9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bUpdater was implemented with 9.2 and 8.1.7.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To disable Flash Updates, you need to have a file called mms.cfg in "c:\windows\system32\MacroMed\Flash"

The mms.cfg file contains the following:

AutoUpdateDisable = 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also worth noting that Flash is no longer coupled with Acrobat. Acrobat uses the machine's Flash player, so Acrobat and Flash updates have nothing to do with each other.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2012 Nov 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not asking a question, just registering a complaint similar to cshutts. I am the system administrator for a public retirement system in Ohio. We have Acrobat Reader standard installed on all user workstations. We have had Acrobat set to automatically download updates. Lately, users workstations have been automatically getting Chrome downloaded and installed as the default reader when their Acrobat or Flash is updated. Not only is this annoying, but it messes up the workstation settings. Even if one sets the default browser back to IE and uninstalls Chrome (which we shouldn't have to do!), the registery settings are left behind. Specifically:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.htm
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.shtml

are all set to ChromeHTML instead of htmlfile. Apparenty, setting IE back as the default does not reset these entries. As a consequence, users cannot open links in Excel or Word documents. When they try, the get the error "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.  Please contact your system administrator." The system administrator (me) has to go into the registry and set these values back to "htmlfile" in order for these links to work.

Our users are clerical, not technical, and they don't really notice that downloading of Chrome is checked by default on the Flash update, and I didn't really notice an opt-out on the Acrobat update (though it didn't occur to me to look for it at the time). I consider this auto-download installation of un-ask-for software extrordinarily intrusive and reckless behavoir for updating. To mitigate the problem, I will turn off Adobe product updating on all workstations and in the meantime I have instructed the users to NOT download Adobe updates.

Any software installation that is not asked for and, furthermore, messes with registry settings to the point that other software does not work properly, is absolutely irresponsible. I have seens dozens of similar complaints in the adobe and public forums about this practice. I strongly suggest that Adobe heed the complaints of its customers and desist with this practice. Currently, my choices are disabling updates to Adobe products or researching a replacement for Adobe for recommendation to the Board. What I'd prefer is to keep Adobe and have a kinder-gentler update utility that just updates what it is expected to.

Mark Foley

System Administrator, the Ohio Highway Patrol Retirement System

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Reader downloader from the following link. It should not include Chrome.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinod - thanks for the reply. Our problem is not with the free Adobe Reader, which we don't use. We have Adobe Acrobat Standard X, and lately XI. I should have been more specific about the product in the earlier message. While I can sort-of see why this auto-Chrome thing might be part of the deal on beggars-can't-be-choosers free software, it is another matter for purchased software. Your suggestion is a pro-active update, which is what I will do with Acrobat via the Help > Check for Updates on individual workstations and discontinue using the automatic updates until, hopefully, Adobe discontinues defaulting to the automatic download and installation of Chrome. I can't rely on the users to sort that out properly on their own every time.

Thanks - Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark - updates to Adobe Acrobat (or Adobe Reader for that matter) do not include installation of Google Chrome. This is true whether the updates are applied manually (as Vinod described above) or automatically (as your original post indicates).

I'll request you to run your tests again by updating Acrobat and let us know the sceanrio where you are actually able to see this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I understand this solution the following new key has to  be add at the pc and not via the wizard for reader 11?

cshutt, so you had to add this key to 1500+pc's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• What is the problem for which you need a solution? Disabling updates? If so, then you have the right pref (except change the path to 11).
  • The preference can be set via the Wizard, script, manually, GPO, or any method you prefer.

hth,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I had to run it on all workstations in our enterprise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added the key in the wizard and the test pc and will test shortly. Thank you for your replies.

My test failed. The key is loaded on the pc manually and in the wizard. Both ways and the msi fails.

This is the screen that will not go away.

Adobe ver 11 suppress this screen.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use /qb or /qn switch instead along with your transform (wherein you have disabled updates) e.g.

msiexec /i AdbeRdr11000_en_US.msi TRANSFORMS=<some_name.mst> /qb

or

msiexec /i AdbeRdr11000_en_US.msi TRANSFORMS=<some_name.mst> /qn

It will not alter any settings for the updater preference (The one, which is seen in the Installer Setup dialog)

Alternatively,

If you still don't want to use /qb or /qn switch, you can continue with the installation,

FeatureLockDown key takes the precedence and it will override any updater preference.

And so you can continue Reader with disabled updates.

Tip:

If you are using Customization wizard to disbale update, there's a small check box under,

Online Services and Features > Disable product updates check box.

This does the same as manually adding the FeatureLockDown Registry Key.

Hope, it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines