Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Change View from a Spread to Single Pages

Aug 31, 2012 11:43 AM

Is it possible for me to view spreads as single pages without actually changing the layout?  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Sueloo970

Yes. See InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Breaking Pages Apart to Bleed Off a Spine and scroll through the comments to find a script by Harbs to automate the task.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to Sueloo970

Not easily in InDesign. It would be very quick to export as PDF and DON'T turn on Spreads. View in Reader or Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 5:22 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

I too would go with Steve's answer here. Harbs' script is good but I have had instances where the artwork does strange things as a result.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 6:21 PM   in reply to cdflash

I saw the word "view" as being the key word in poster's question. You can view very quickly by making a PDF file.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to cdflash

Splitting spreads carries all the same risks as moving pages as far as artwork that crosses the spine. Those objects are on either one page or the other in a spread. Have you seen something other than would be explained by an object staying with a page and disappeating from another?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

@Peter

Had a diary job with art supplied by the client as indesign files which needed bleed in the spines. used Harbs' script which i'd used dozens of times before but strange things happened with the text that I just could not explain such as reflow.

Yes his script does what it "says on the jar", but because of a one-off strange instance I tend to err on the side of caution.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to cdflash

Interesting. I've not needed to split spreads often, and I'm not sure I've ever used the script. I bow to your real worl experience, but I wonder if the problem was really the script, or maybe a case of text reflow from changing versions (not necessarily by you) that the script somehow triggered.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I think to have "view spreads as single pages" would be very useful as a view option, for when you just want to scroll through a document and make edits. When the spread view is too wide you have to scroll from side to side as well as down, or keep zooming in and out. And if you want to get a sense of how it's working visuallly then story editor won't do. And obviously we don't want to change the layout settings in order to do this.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 4:02 AM   in reply to dv8kiwi

@dv8kiwi – you can also use two different layout windows of the same document side by side with different zoom values.

To move synchronously from page to page spread to spread in both layout windows, you could use a set of scripts and apply them to keyboard shortcuts.

See the following blog post (in German) by Gerald Singelmann at:

http://www.indesign-faq.de/en/node/53

and here a link for downloading the scripts:

http://www.indesign-faq.de/files/2009/01/split.zip

The scripts are from 2009, but should work in InDesign CS5, CS5.5 and CS6.

Uwe

Message was edited by: Laubender

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 4:05 AM   in reply to Laubender

Or you could use a set of scripts by Martin Fischer at www.hilfdirselbst.ch where you can move from page to page:

http://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=463219#463219

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to Sueloo970

Go to Document Setup, uncheck "facing pages" and OK. You'll see the pages as a single pages in your pages PANEL Now.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to jenny-ct

That is changing the layout, so it is not the answer to the question. What is required is to keep the facing pages layout, but to be able to view and work on the document as a vertical column of single pages. This would be particularly useful for landscape layouts.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to dv8kiwi

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 1:14 PM   in reply to Michael Witherell

Looks like it's for CS6, not CC?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This