Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
np1001
Currently Being Moderated

Can't access custom profile in ACR

Sep 1, 2012 10:00 AM

I used color checker passport to create a custom profile for my camera for a shoot I did last weekend.

It created a profile for me and saved it.

I open a file in ACR and go to the drop down Load Settings and it's grayed out. How do I access that profile?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 1, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to np1001

What platform and OS?  Did you also install it in the appropriate location not just "saved" it?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 12:32 PM   in reply to np1001

Still in the dark re your setup. 

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to np1001

You need to read up on Camera Raw.

There is no "correct way" to adjust images.  It's up to you to decide what looks good to you.

Attempting to use custom camera profiles before you have mastered Camera Raw is a bit like putting the horse before the cart.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to np1001

CCP will correct the color checker image for white balance before it creates the profile.  However, the profile will not automatically white balance images, you still have to do that by the usual means in ACR, i.e. clicking on a neutral area or adjusting the sliders.

The usual problem I've seen with creating passport profiles is not being careful to avoid unwanted color casts on the cc chart.  Often people set it on the ground with strong reflected light from grass, etc.  The chart should ideally only be illuminated  by the source light, best to have somebody hold it chest high and away from their body and any reflective surface, taped on a wall far from the ground, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to np1001

Shadow or overcast lighting is bluish - when gray areas are forced back to neutral in ACR other colors will tend toward yellow.  Easier said than done, but indirect sunlight is better for copying.  Better yet is a controlled studio setup using 5K halogen lighting, or diffused flash.

I've had better results creating camera profiles with the Adobe DNG Profile Editor, less success with the Passport system.  The process is similar, but the resulting profiles are more complex and IMO often will result in more pleasing results, particularly with difficult lighting situations.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points