Skip navigation
DSalk
Currently Being Moderated

Will not read D800 NEF files

Sep 1, 2012 1:52 PM

Lightroom will not read Nikon D800 NEF files.  I have updated lightroom twice,  first to 4.1 and second to 4.2 and in neither case would the files import.  I have read several forum entries that say these files are compatible with Lightroom and/or to update Lightroom.  Anyone have an answer?  This is getting really aggravating!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 1, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to DSalk

LR 4.1 imports D800 NEFs. What error message are you getting?

If the message is that the images cannot be read, you should make sure you have write permission for the folders to which you are copying/moving the photos. That's the destination directory.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to DSalk

Did you have Nikon's Capture NX software installed? Did you view the files there before you attempted to go to Lightroom?

I remember a bug from the 4.1 RC days where there was a problem with an older version of Capture NX that caused this. Uninstalling the old version of Viewer NX seems to be key. This thread might help: http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=5700

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to DSalk

"files cannot be imported". Is that the exact message?

To cure the problem of no previews, you might try importing from a card reader instead of the camera.

Hal

Rikk,

Good guess. I'd forgotten that one.

H

Message was edited by: Hal P Anderson

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to DSalk

Nikon Transfer is the problem.  You need a later version or, better, you need to never use it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Lee Jay

Nikon has said that Nikon Transfer is obsolete and is stripping the raw files of the metadata needed by Adobe to recognize the files.  Those files are lost to Adobe processing unless you have a pre-Nikon-Transfer copy of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to DSalk

Nikon Transfer is obsolete and should not be used.  The Transfer option of an up-to-date ViewNX2 should be ok.  I would hesitate to use something that tries to be very consumer friendly like Windows Photo Transfer in case it is extracting JPG previews from the NEFs instead of actually transferring the NEF files, unchanged, but if you can determine they are really raw files, not just JPGs or JPGs renamed to NEF, then it’s probably ok—the NEFs will be much larger than the JPGs so that’s a way to tell.  I think you should test with a few photos, waiting long enough to make sure you do actually get previews rendered in LR’s Import area.

Personally I just use Windows Explorer and copy the files from my card in a card-reader to my local hard-drive then do an LR Add Import from there.  I use a codec-pack that allows Windows Explorer to let me see the JPG-previews that are embedded into the raw files so I am not copying blind.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to DSalk

I use the Fast Picture Viewer Codec Pack that costs $15 for a single computer license.  It got it a few years ago because while Canon provided a codec for their CR2 files for Windows 7 and Vista it was only a 32-bit codec and I used 64-bit Windows.   I believe Canon has since released a 64-bit codec for their RAW files, but the FPV codec pack also shows thumbnails and previews for PSDs and TIFs and other files, and so I’d rather just have one Codec that works for Canon and Nikon and PS files instead of having to find one for each type of file and not having some covered.

You do not need the Fast Picture Viewer, just the Codec Pack:

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 8:20 PM   in reply to DSalk

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status