Skip navigation
JohnTar
Currently Being Moderated

"Could not use the clone stamp tool because of a program error". How to fix this fault?

Sep 2, 2012 4:14 PM

When I try to use the Clone Stamp Tool I am met with the message shown above. I have tried in all the ways I could find to beat this: different photos, switched the computer off and on again, run a de-bugging program through it (Advanced System Care 5 Pro) and Microsoft's own stuff. The problem exists solidly and, without one of its most important picture repair tools Photoshop is pretty much useless.

I have just set this new Photoshop Elements 10 program up on my Windows 7 (64) laptop. I have plenty of memory and a large enough hard drive; the machine is fairly new, stable and does not usually suffer from programming problems. I have found nothing on any of the Adobe Forums, or in other sites, to give me a hint as to what has caused the problem other than a bad program disk. My first conclusion was that I should reinstall the program, but it appears that I will then lose one of my two registration rights, that strikes me as being ridiculous as reinstallation is surely the most logical thing to do with a potentially faulty program disk! But I would have to uninstall to reinstall, and that's when the the second registration cuts in I am advised. I have tried every way I can think of to beat this to no avail. I'll be truly grateful if someone can help me out on this. Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to JohnTar

It seems to me that if you go to Help>deactivate, then you have a clean slate.

Next, uninstall, then reinstall.

Here is a link to Adobe Support for your reference:

http://www.adobe.com/support/download-install/supportinfo/

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to JohnTar

I always get that error with the Clone tool when I don't pay attention to the layers and I attempt to set the source on a transparent layer, or on the layer mask, or in a transparent area.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 7:41 PM   in reply to JohnTar

Your activation is keyed to the computer's hardware.  If nothing has changed on the machine, you can re-install to your heart's content without problems.

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points