Skip navigation
Omniverse Productions
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Builder crashes on loading Workbench - Mac 10.7.4

Sep 2, 2012 5:27 PM

Flash Builder crashes whenever it starts loading the workbench. Is there anyway to fix this? I searched for a possible solution and only found one, cleaning the workspace. I would try it if I knew where to go. This happened all of the sudden and I did nothing to flash builder previously.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2012 10:37 PM   in reply to Omniverse Productions

Hi,

Your workspace might have got corrputed.

Can you please try switching the workspace to a new workspace and try?

-Hari

|
    Mark as:
  • Mallika Yelandur
    64 posts
    Jul 13, 2009
    Sep 3, 2012 9:41 PM   in reply to Omniverse Productions

Omniverse Productions,

To switch to a new workspace, follow these steps:

1. In Flash Builder, select File > Switch Workspace > Other.
    2. Enter a directory name for the workspace.
    3. Click Copy Settings and select Workbench Layout and Working Sets to copy the workbench settings to the new workspace.
    4. Click OK. Flash Builder launches with the new workspace.

This TechNote should provide you more guidance in resolving workspace issues: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-builder/kb/workspace-issues-flash-builder -4.html

Hope this helps,

Mallika Yelandur

Adobe Community Help & Learning

|
    Mark as:
  • Mallika Yelandur
    64 posts
    Jul 13, 2009
    Sep 3, 2012 10:06 PM   in reply to Omniverse Productions

Sorry, looks like I misunderstood the issue. I'll check if someone from the Engineering team can help troubleshoot your issue.

Best,

Mallika Yelandur

Adobe Community Help & Learning

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 4:17 AM   in reply to Omniverse Productions

Please try the following steps:

Rename the default workspace"Adobe Flash Builder 4.7"( on Mac it's located at /Users/USER_NAME/Documents/Adobe Flash Builder 4.7) and try launching Flash Builder.

Even if this doesn't work. Please un-install Flash Builder and use the cleaner tool(from this location http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html ) to clean and re-install Flash Builder.

Please let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Hari

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 11:09 PM   in reply to Omniverse Productions

Hello,

This Flash Builder 'not responding' set me back by 3 days - finally got it resolved.

Tried all of the above solutions, and other solutions on the net, without success.  But the following worked for me:

Symptom: Everything was fine until I factored out common code from one project into a library project (called CommonLib) so that the code be reused across apps.  Then FB would hang whenever I tried to edit MXML, both in source and design views.

Cause: The mxml's had some cross-library dependency interplay. For this app, I use RobotLegs along with AppCoreLib, AppUILib, and the problem-causing CommonLib.  Things went bad when I pulled out common mxml's (StackView and StackContainer - my replacements ViewStack on mobile apps) from AppUILib into CommonLib.  Whenever I tried to view any mxml extending either of the above classes FB used to hang.

Solution: I moved common stuff from CommonLib back into AppCoreLib; pulled out these two mxml's back into AppUILib project - and FB went back to normal operation.

FWIW, this is the error log when I went into design view:

!ENTRY com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor 4 1 2012-10-31 09:28:44.951

!MESSAGE Error in handleValid() in MXMLDesignView4Controller:

!STACK 0

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.internal.MXMLDesignView4Cont roller.getMXMLDesignView4Commander(MXMLDesignView4Controller.java:2398 )

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.internal.MXMLDesignView4Cont roller.handleValid(MXMLDesignView4Controller.java:2232)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.internal.MXMLDesignView4Cont roller.handleAdd(MXMLDesignView4Controller.java:2212)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.internal.MXMLDesignView4Cont roller.processEvent(MXMLDesignView4Controller.java:2163)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.internal.MXMLDesignView4Cont roller.modelChanged(MXMLDesignView4Controller.java:2141)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.designmodel.DesignModel.doNotifyChanged(DesignM odel.java:361)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.designmodel.DesignModel.notifyChanged(DesignMod el.java:276)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.designmodel.DesignModel.endNotificationBatch(De signModel.java:201)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxmlmodel.inlinestates.internal.SMXMLModel$MyBa seModelListener.modelChanged(SMXMLModel.java:336)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.designmodel.WeakModelListener.modelChanged(Weak ModelListener.java:79)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.designmodel.DesignModel.doNotifyChanged(DesignM odel.java:361)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.designmodel.DesignModel.notifyChanged(DesignMod el.java:276)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.designmodel.DesignModel.endNotificationBatch(De signModel.java:201)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.designmodel.DesignModel.endEditBatch(DesignMode l.java:236)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.designmodel.DesignModel.refresh(DesignModel.jav a:72)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxmlmodel.inlinestates.internal.SMXMLModel.refr esh(SMXMLModel.java:113)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.MXMLDesignEditor.refreshSkin s(MXMLDesignEditor.java:1873)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.MXMLDesignEditor.checkProjec tSettings(MXMLDesignEditor.java:3380)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.MXMLDesignEditor.access$26(M XMLDesignEditor.java:3277)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.MXMLDesignEditor$10.runInUIT hread(MXMLDesignEditor.java:3269)

at org.eclipse.ui.progress.UIJob$1.run(UIJob.java:95)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.ja va:135)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:4140)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3757)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2696)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2660)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2494)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:674)

at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.ja va:332)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.jav a:667)

at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)

at com.adobe.flexbuilder.standalone.FlashBuilderApplication.start(FlashB uilderApplication.java:108)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandl e.java:196)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runAppli cation(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(Ec lipseAppLauncher.java:79)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.ja va:344)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.ja va:179)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:622)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:577)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1410)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to Omniverse Productions

For anyone else who happens to run across this issue, I found on more than one occasion that the two quick steps on this page have solved my problem with Flash Builder hanging while loading the workbench:  http://propagandaoculta.blogspot.com/2011/06/flash-builder-hangs-while -loading.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 1:58 AM   in reply to Slewfoot303

Slewfoot303 wrote:

For anyone else who happens to run across this issue, I found on more than one occasion that the two quick steps on this page have solved my problem with Flash Builder hanging while loading the workbench:  http://propagandaoculta.blogspot.com/2011/06/flash-builder-hangs-while -loading.html

Had the same issue, deleting the .snap file did the trick. Saved me a lot of headache reinstalling!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 4:41 AM   in reply to Lord_Habicht

I deleted booth the lock. and snap. files. Now flashbuilder restarts but it hangs when refreshing the workspace.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to Pandan

Next you can try is to create a new workspace and reimport your projects there.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 5:07 AM   in reply to Omniverse Productions

hey I got the same problem as Omniverse Productions.

I got a workspace called "_as" on other path from the original file"flash bilder4.7"

when every I change the workspace to "_as", it's crash with out any messenge.

but relaunch builder,it's already memorizee the new workspace,so it's just keep crash without anything can do.

here's how I deal with it:

1.delete the "cascaded" file in the file "flash builder4.7". (I don't know the cascaded file is generate by default or because I'm doing something with cascaded data with xml)

2.then now can relaunch flashbuilder with default workspace.

3.try to builder a new workspace and import all the project.

hope it helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 7:06 AM   in reply to Slewfoot303

When there is no .snap file deleting all <editor> elements in workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ui.workbench\workbench.xml did the trick

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to claudius

claudius wrote:

When there is no .snap file deleting all <editor> elements in workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ui.workbench\workbench.xml did the trick

This did it for me. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 5:36 AM   in reply to Slewfoot303

Thanks, this solution cured the problem for me. I think the workbench corrupted when my flashbuilder 4.7 crashed mid session...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points