Skip navigation
BLPhoto235
Currently Being Moderated

Rewrap iPhone 4s .MOV video

Sep 3, 2012 8:52 PM

Tags: #format #convert #mp4 #mov #rewrap #recode #rewrapping

Is there a way to "rewrap" an iPhone 4s video (1080P, 24p, MOV) into another format like .mp4, .mp2, .mkv, .mts, etc without having to recode?

Quicktime Pro has an Export to .mp4 option with "Pass Through" settings.  It doesn't recode but simply keeps (passes through) the same specs of the iPhone video.  I want to play my iPhone 4s videos on my Blu-ray player and Samsung tv with a USB external drive.  But none of these devices playback .mov files.

I searched around in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and Media Encoder but all the options seem to "recode" resulting in drastically different files sizes (and time required to recode).  I thought there was option to keep original file specs and just to "rewrap" using either Premiere Pro CS6 or Media Encoder.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to BLPhoto235

Adobe doesn't have any rewrapping tools.  You'll have to go third party for this one.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to BLPhoto235

If the codec inside the .mov container is just a standard h.264 you MIGHT, be able to just simply rename the file container manually to .mp4 and have it playback without any software required. In my own experince in some cases

when the codec being used is compatible with the new container you wish to put it inside sometimes you can simply just rename the file extension and get away with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

Good point.  I do the same with the MOV's from the Nikon D7000.  And if MP4 doesn't work, try plain MPG.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to BLPhoto235

Just renaming the file will not work, especially if you are uploading to a video hosting site that requires MP4 and won't except MOV.

Fastest and easiest way that I have found is to download Mpeg Streamclip for free. Open the file and click "Save As" at the bottom of the save box you'll have the option to select the container. Just choose MP4 and click save. It will re-wrap the file without reencoding.

Best!

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to Nddirector

Yes it does work, I have done it several times.  In certain scenarios though it won't work it mostly depends on the codec.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 4:16 PM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

The renamed file will still be seen as a video file and playback on your mac, but just naming an .mov file to .mp4 doesn not successfully re-wrap it as an .mp4. And if you are attempting to use that file on a system, player or video hosting site that specifially requires and MP4, it will not work.

But yes, your Mac won't be fooled, it still sees the H.264 inside.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 5:37 PM   in reply to Nddirector

I've done it a few times with my xbox 360 with .mkv's into .mp4 because the xbox360 doesn't support the .mkv container. I've also done it with .mov files for premiere pro as well when I have been on PC's that didn't have Quicktime installed. So I assure you in some cases it works, like I said earlier though it doesn't in all. It comes down to the codec inside the container. Even though it doesn't work in every scenario I just wanted to make it clear that in some cases it does work.

Also I'm upset you assumed I'm a mac user. I've never owned a mac in my life.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 11:25 PM   in reply to BLPhoto235

You want to play my iPhone 4s videos on my Blu-ray player and Samsung tv? Have you tried to burn the mp4 to Blu-ray, Then play with it? I think, there are no other way to play mp4 files on blu-ray player.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points