Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Do thumbnails show in Bridge CS5 if connected directly from a DSLR (via USB cable)?

Sep 4, 2012 12:48 AM

Tags: #problem #cs5 #adobe #raw #camera #windows #camera_raw #nef #nikon #adobe_camera_raw #d90 #6.7

I have a D90 and none of my thumbnails for my files show in Bridge CS5 when connected directly from the camera. This includes ALL types of files (JPEG, NEF, etc). It shows the thumbnails when I use a card reader though. Is this common with DSLRs?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2012 1:03 AM   in reply to transmission92

Ouch!  Ouch!  Ouch!      

That is a monumentally bad idea !

Never, ever point any software at the camera card—other than a dedicated photo downloading utility, or Windows Explorer/Apple's Finder.

It's not very wise to connect the camera directly to the computer.

This excerpt is from a long-gone post by the, lamented, and celebrated author Bruce Fraser:

Bruce Fraser - 4:17pm Jun 14, 04 PST (#5 of 21)

Opening files directly from the camera is a bad idea for a variety of reasons*, and it most certainly isn't faster than using a FireWire or USB2 card reader.
        *   • Drains the camera battery
            • Runs the risk of the software you're using to open the images writing to the card and destroying the format

• Runs a small but significant risk of USB power frying the camera

• Slowest method known to mankind of getting images off a CF or SD card

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 1:17 AM   in reply to transmission92

If you have—misguidedly and unfortunately—done that already, first back up the image files on your computer, then immediately format the card in the camera, which will erase everything in the card and format it to a fresh, pristine state.

What ever possessed you to do a thing like that? 

Had you done that to the card containing the raw files you can't open?

Do not be fooled by what the camera shows you anyway. The preview you see in the back of the camera when chimping* is not a preview of your raw file at all, but of the embedded JPEG that the camera creates right after you shoot and records inside your raw file.  The histogram it shows you in the camera is not based on the raw data at all either, but on said embedded JPEG.

The same is true when you review or playback the images later on the LCD display in the back of the camera.

*Chimping is a colloquial term used in digital photography to describe the habit of checking every photo on the camera display (LCD) immediately after capture.

The phrase is most likely derived from comparison between the sounds and actions some make while reviewing images and those of an excited primate (Oooh! Oooh! Aaah!), or when a photographer is completely absorbed in the act of analyzing, admiring or proudly displaying a shot to others.

Oy! 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 1:22 AM   in reply to transmission92

Always use a card reader to download the image files.  Don't connect the camera directly to your computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to transmission92

Again, just to prevent any misunderstanding:  first download the image files to your computer.  DO NOT point any viewing or editing software at the images while they are still on the card.

Chimping is OK, using the LCD in the back of the camera itself.

You definitely don't want any software from the computer creating temporary files on the card or otherwise writing  to the card.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 1:31 AM   in reply to transmission92

transmission92 wrote:

…It was me plugging the camera and trying to view the files directly from it!…

Good grief!

transmission92 wrote:

…It's all a matter of finding a good card reader now...

Yes!  They are ridiculously inexpensive anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 1:45 AM   in reply to transmission92

Holy smokes!  You even attempted to re-name the image files inside the camera!  

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 4:52 AM   in reply to transmission92

transmission92 wrote:

I did?

It most certainly sounded that way to me:

station_two wrote:

What doesn't allow any changes?

Either in Windows Explorer or in Bridge you should be able to select (highlight) a file name and type a new one…

transmission92 wrote:

BOTH. Bridge disables it, while Explorer reverts back to the originial filename after the changes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points