Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 3D Problem: Rendering stops when mouse is clicked in any app's window

Sep 4, 2012 7:37 PM

Ps CS6 13.0.1

OS X 10.6.8

3D rendering stops when mouse is clicked, regardless of which app has focus or in which app's window the mouse is clicked.

In case anyone wonders how another app can have focus before the mouse is clicked, Cmd+Tab can be used to switch between apps.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 4, 2012 8:50 PM   in reply to conroy

Interesting.  That doesn't seem to happen on the PC side - er, I guess I should say on my PC.  Any more it's hard to tell what's common and what isn't.

I just clicked on a bunch of different apps and rendering proceeded.  I tried Alt-tabbing (equivalent to your Cmd+Tab), and even Alt-tabbed back to Photoshop without it stopping.

Seems to me I may have had it stop unexpectedly before, but I can't remember specifics.  At that time I might have inadvertently tried to turn on some layer visibility or something while it was rendering, which would be expected to stop it.

When it stops, can you restart it where it left off?

I found it would stop and NOT be able to continue if I had left to work on another app and came back and just clicked on the top of the Photoshop main window.  That's also nasty.

What you're reporting is a pretty egregious problem - you naturally would want to be able to do other things while it is rendering!  And it should be difficult to make it lose its partially completed work.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 17, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to conroy

I feel (and have felt) your pain.  Those of us taking the time to clearly document bona fide product problems sometimes seem to be ignored.

While it would be great to get even a remark out of Adobe indicating they've noticed your problem report, it would also be nice if someone else with a Mac would confirm that what you're seeing is common.

I wonder who felt justified in removing the ability to directly report a problem to Adobe, substituting advice to report it on one of the several forums instead.  You'd think a professional software company would have a solid process in place for dealing with problem reports handed to them on a silver platter.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2012 10:16 PM   in reply to conroy

I should preface everything I'm about to say with the fact that I do not know all of the technical mac terms nor do I completely understand graphics cards and all of the rest of that jargon which I should probably know to make my life easier.  I do know that I'm running on 10.6.8, 2.4 ghz, intel core 2 duo, memory 4 gb 1067 mhz ddr3.  I'm also running cs6 extended ps 13.0.0, and I've noticed that there is an update.

I've used the version of photoshop from the first creative suite for almost 10 years, so I was really excited to finally upgrade.  I just upgraded to CS6 last week and have had terrible issues using the 3d function.  It takes forever for rendering small images (ex. a single box can take minutes) and even a slight nudge makes it go back into "thinking" mode.  I don't have the capability of clicking anything while rendering, so the only time photoshop crashes for me is when the program literally gets tired of fighting a render and times out which unfortunately has happened mulitple times.

I was really excited to use the 3d function figuring it would make small projects like boxes and presents a really quick check in the box.  Now, I'm getting so frustrated I want to chuck my computer over my balcony.  yikes!  The guys at the mac store seem to think I need to upgrade my computer.  Is this really a necessity?  My pocketbook really hopes not.  Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

**UPDATE:  I just downloaded 13.0.1, so I will let you know if that fixes any of my issues.

**UPDATE 2:  On my first attempt, the program took over 3 minutes to load a previous file that included a 3d rendering of 6 boxes.  When it finally opened, the program froze, and I couldn't select any of the tools or layers -- a complete freeze.  So far... no luck for me. :-( 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 4:47 AM   in reply to SimplyRSVP

Just signing on to confirm that I am having the same problem.  At first i thought it was stopping every time i copied something to the clip board. But no it is everytime I click the mouse. Really frustrating. Is there a solution Yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to conroy

well let's Hope someone sees it.  Right now my plan is to render this file overnight when i leave. Although I tried that last night and it must have canceled on its own some how. Crossing my fingers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 5, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to rskinner1983

Some months ago I commented that people with Macs seem to be having somewhat more trouble with Photoshop in general than people with PCs.  I realize a comment like that can be taken badly, and I was criticized for it at the time, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence to the contrary since then.  More fundamental stuff seems to be wrong on Macs.  Basic functions that run impossibly slowly, icons and previews that don't work, things like this 3D rendering that just stop unexpectedly.  Not good.

Adobe is to be commended for their state-of-the-art development that really pushes computer systems to their limits, but given that the Mac operating environment is far better nailed down than the PC universe I'd have guessed it would be the other way around.  I sincerely hope that with upcoming updates they can settle these things down for Mac users.

Unfortunately, Adobe is NOT to be commended for failing to acknowledge problems.  Things go wrong, and maybe they're not even entirely Adobe's fault, but every single user has made a business deal with Adobe and a lack of response feels to a user as though the terms of the deal haven't been met.  Everyone's greatest fear is that they'll buy something then be left out in the cold.  Especially expensive somethings.

RSkinner1983, if you just can't get your rendering done and if it's a file you're willing to share, I'll be happy to try to render it for you.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Conroy, et al.,

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier and reply. I know there was a problem in 13.0 where one could not cancel a rendering, and we fixed that for 13.0.1.

I'll forward this on now and see what we can find out. Just to confirm you have two problem cases:

1. Rendering stops when Ps is in the background (via Cmd+Tab), and you click on the front application

2. Resume Render is inconsistantly available. (have you been able to notice any pattterns? does rendering cancel via click while Ps is front app sometimes trigger this?)

There may be another method for running an uniterruptible render as a workaround. I'll need to check on that, but it uses the Render to Video command.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to SimplyRSVP

0-Do you have any other PS version info on your computer? If so get rid of them and reinstall the most recent version only. See the threads on how

1-think of a render as a very demanding save (without the background save in PS6). The app needs to be front and center for that so it can use the computers' full RAM, CPU and GPU assigned to it's use. If you go to another app it will no longer have the access it needs to do the render.

2-what are your computers specs? You may have specs that need upgrading.  See the threads on how

3-what are your adobe performance settings? what are your adobe 3D settings? You may need to change them to reflect your computers' capabilities. See the threads on how

4- quick fix - try using the marquee tool to isolate an area to partial render. it will save time

5-quick fix 2 - try turning off the shadows and other such associated elements if you don't need then right away. they are also being rendered.

5-If you have to walk away and do the dishes, smell the roses, pet the dog, tickle your partner, talk to the plants... whatevah..live aloha... do it and let the render happen.

I often do a partial render just before I begin to make a meal and it's close enough when I get back (or done if I use the marquee tool) to get an idea of what it's going to look like in final ray trace. I never bother to do a final ray trace till I am more of less happy with everything about it. I have to do only 2, 3 at most final ray trace renders to revise and tweak it. A partial render will give good enough info for most situations. aloha, a hui hou, Uhane

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to SG...

I am having the same problem (using 13.1) on a Mac. I have plenty of RAM and processing power. Left click stops rendering.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to conroy

Conroy, yes it is when I click in any other app via dock or finder. It is not rendering in the background when I go to surf, work in another application, etc.

This is a major issue for me as I often need rendering to take place in the background with time sensitive deadlines, etc.

My system specs are:

OS X (10.6.8)

2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

22 GB RAM

Startup and Application Disk 480GB SSD

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to conroy

I just wanted to come to this thread and post that I'm growing very irritated with this problem. Is there any way to get Photoshop to render 3Ds in the background?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 28, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to shannonwbrown

I happen to know the Adobe team is well aware of the problem and is working on a solution.  But all things take time.

All I can say is I'm glad I don't have the problem (I have a PC, not Mac) - it would make 3D rendering useless.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Do you know if the issue is a result of using OX 10.6.8?

Rant: I've been on an online chat for the past hour with an Adobe tech which has been completely unsuccessful and very frustrating. Even at the end of an hour he does not undertand my problem (could it be because he's in India and has never used Photoshop?). I've explained it to him no less than five times and he continues to think that I can't get Photoshop to render. Argh.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to shannonwbrown

Hi shannonwbrown,

This isn't specific to OS X 10.6.8, and happens with 10.7 and 10.8. However, as Noel's noted it's not present on Windows systems with 13.0.1 and 13.1.2.

Have you ever tried Export> Render Video... for Ray Traced renders? That's the current way to get a render out of Ps 13.0.4/13.1.2 on OS X while running in the background. I haven't looked too far into creating an action with the settings for output setup.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 8:00 PM   in reply to conroy

Yes, it's not a full replacement, just a suggestion for working around the current condition. You'd want to change the Ray Trace High Quality Threshold in Preferences> 3D from 5 down to 2 or 3 and check the exported output.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 4:40 AM   in reply to SG...

Is there any update?

13.1.2 on OSX 10.8.3 problem still persists, sadly

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to conroy

This won't technically be considered a work around since several variables are different however the problem is identical and this has "sort of" given me a work around to the same problem.

With MacOS 10.8 and Photoshop CC, when I start a render, move to another app and click - the render stops. But, when I go back to photoshop, hit resume render, and then click directly onto another app window - the render continues  in the background.

Again, there are some different variables here - but the problem was the same. Maybe it helps? Should help the Adobe guys in pinpointing the bug at least.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 11:54 PM   in reply to conroy

Hmmm just encountering this problem now running CS6 on a new iMac with loads of ram.

Works fine until you go to another application and click, then it just stops dead.

I can't believe 12 months on and no fix for this, blooming irritating as I'm so used to rendering in the background while I continue with other work.

Come on Adobe, pull your finger out, it's expensive enough this programme without having to waste time watching a file render too!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2013 9:42 PM   in reply to SG...

I  can confirm the same problem occuring for video rendering on win7 x64 ps.13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2014 11:42 AM   in reply to conroy

me too, photoshop will be stoped when i render some 3D art and then i click on the another application window where i want to work while it's render.

This is very big issue!!!!!

this bug is still in 13.0.6 extended

what this means?????

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 13, 2014 8:16 PM   in reply to Karffe

FYI, it's been long-since changed in Photoshop CC (version 14), where now you must press Escape to stop rendering.

I suspect it may have been deemed too involved a change for them to easily port that change back into the old version of Photoshop.

Make no mistake, Photoshop CS6 is now an old version; it is no longer current. 

Adobe still offers the ability to purchase a perpetual license for Photoshop CS6, but clearly no new development is going into it.

You call this a bug, but if you got a couple of lawyers arguing minutia, I suspect you'd have a hard time making a solid case that this really is a bug.  The software does do what you ask, you just have to leave the computer alone while it's doing it.  It's more of a usability limitation than a bug.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking a "side" here, nor am I justifying Adobe's position - I'm just observing the reality of the situation.  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a fix in Photoshop CS6, given how long it's been fixed in CC. 

Here's hoping Adobe comes along and pleasantly surprises you.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2014 2:56 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

if this will be true, this will be best. Nothing works for me. Pc has multitasking but photoshop with this issue goes down

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 14, 2014 6:15 PM   in reply to Karffe

You could always move up to Photoshop CC.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2014 1:37 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

No i don't... because i bought cs6.

This doesn't fix for this biggest issue!!!!!! in photoshop extended cs6 for Mac!!! why users which has pc computers can do that normally in multitasking but users with mac osx do not?! This is not real

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2014 9:28 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

The customer service's agent wrote to me that:

Yes we are aware of the this issue and our engineers are still working on it

Update for this issue will be released as soon as possible, your patience is very much appreciated

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 25, 2014 6:10 AM   in reply to Karffe

I'm wondering whether Customer Service and Engineering are on the same page.  Did Customer Service actually say that an update specifically to Photoshop CS6 would be released?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)