Skip navigation
LeeXiaoLoong
Currently Being Moderated

Save a video in After Effects with invisible background

Sep 5, 2012 6:07 AM

is possible to save a video with a trasparent background?

i mean i save in example a text like HELLO moving around the screen and want to send to a friend that need to work with this video, but there will be a background that will cover his project (its just an example)

so is there a way to save a video without a background? just the moving text? so this teoric friend can use my animation on his video just watching the text HELLO instead of HELLO with the background etc

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to LeeXiaoLoong

Transparency doesn't exist outside programs that support it. Even if your footage may be saved with an Alpha channel using a suitable CoDec, juts playing it back in any player won't make it transparent. It's all a matter of interpretation and the programs handling it. So no, what you want will never work. If your friend wants to import the footage back into his AE or Premiere, then that's anotehr matter. Simply use a render setting and output format that creates Alpha then.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to LeeXiaoLoong

The Help Document section on Rendering and Exporting tells you a bit about how to render with alpha in the output module section, but the whole thing is worth a read.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to LeeXiaoLoong

In Output Module settings choose Channels: RGB + Alpha and Color: Straight (unmatted):

AE. Output Module Settings.jpg

NOTE: Bear in mind that some codecs (e.g. H.264) do not support unmatted Alpha.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

how do you get onto output module settings?

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 10:09 PM   in reply to undlou88

Hi,

Add your composition to the render queue (either Control+M, or click "Composition" on the top menu bar and select "Add to render queue)

There is where you will find the options to change the ouput module settings, and the location.

Capture.JPG

Notice the yellow word "Lossless" on the bottom left of the screenshot? click the down arrow next to it (or just the word itself)

It might be a good idea to get some starting tips here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/01/getting-started-with-after -eff.html

or even here

helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/topics.html

The second link has a section at the bottom dealing with renders specifically. Bookmark these links and read them all the time. I have been using After Effects for a while now, and yet i return to these links so often, I am afraid the image might burn into my monitor!

Pierre

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to Pierre Devereux

thats for your reply Pierre! I'll give this a go now

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status