Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conditional build expressions and publishing

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have a project that generates three different layouts: 1) Parent Z with a child project A containing another child project B, 2) The child project A which contains the other child project B and 3) a new second set of a project C based on A which contains another child project D based on B.  A and B have conditional builds which exclude pictures and text meant for C and D and vice versa. I have been publishing 1 and 2 without any issues and published number 3 recently to a completely new location, which results in another large directory being used.

The gentleman in charge of our servers wants to know if I can publish one project that will contain all the variables so that space used on the server is minimized. I have been publishing each one to a different location and he is seeing that there are duplicate file names in each folder. I have tried to explain that the contents inside the files are different but he has asked me to be sure I can't do it all in one location from the same files and have it just run each one within that folder. Don't know if I'm making sense but thanks for any help you can give me!

Helen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Helen

The simple fact that you are using conditions seems to warrant different copies of the WebHelp output in different locations.

You might try explaining it to your server guy this way. Think of WebHelp output as being like a batch of chocolate chip cookies. You have one batch that is plain. Another batch with walnuts and another batch that uses pecans.

Think of each server location as being like a cookie jar. There is no way to have all three batches in the same cookie jar and make it work.

Yes, you are correct in that all the cookies share some of the same ingredients such as flour and eggs. But each batch is a unique mix of those ingredients. Thus they must remain together as a unit.

Hopefully that helps. And I've been accused of using "sexist overtones" in my analogies. Please know it wasn't meant in any way to be sexist. It's just that sometimes by thinking about things in different terms they are simpler to explain. At least I think they are. Many seem to agree. Especially when folks don't understand about all the silly RoboHelp files.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

LOL, clear as day to me and it didn't occur to me that it might be sexist! A good analogy works always. I will copy and paste it to my server guy.

Thanks!

Helen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp