For some reason, my InDesign CS5 files are inconsistent in showing the thumbnail preview in Bridge CS5.
I recently did a fresh install when upgrading to Lion. The problem was present both before and after (but I was kinda hoping it's go away after the fresh install).
Here's a preview.
The problem's become increasingly more frequent in my recent files. My earliest .indd files from way back in CS1-CS3 all show previews.
I've tried purging the cache, turning cache settings on and off, and turned on 'Always High Quality' and 'Generate 100% Previews'. I've browsed boards as well as these pages, but without finding something similar.
But I've noted that the recent files that do have previews, all have a tiny double-ring icon in the top right corner. This icon is not present on my oldest files that also have previews though. And what's more: The preview problems starts around the same time files begin sporting this icon.
EDIT: That's the exact time I jumped from CS3 to CS5.
Doing a mouse over on the icon reveals nothing I'm afraid.
If anyone is able to help it's be awesome, as it's severely hurting my workflow.
Don't know anything about InDesign, but I would start my quest there. There may be some compatibilty settings in ID that you can throw. Check out this link http://indesignsecrets.com/saving-thumbnails-of-indesign-pages.php
I checked that some time back, and my settings were already set to save preview.
My previews were set to save as medium though, and I thought what the heck, and tried changing it to extra large.
The previews are now successfully showing?! (Albeit I have to open the document and save it.)
I usually like getting to the bottom of why stuff isn't working, but at this point I don't care anymore, I'm just really happy it's fixed for whatever reason. Sometimes you just need to fiddle around with settings, and I didn't think of fiddling there.
Thanks a bunch, Curt!
Yeah, I was not quite worried, but I did look upon them in the hope of it being a solution, seeing as all the working previews had that icon.
But now knowing that it's additional Links data (that I infer was supposed to be saved along with the preview data), I'm thinking we've arrived at the culprit; meta data wasn't being saved correctly for some reason.
Why this issue carried over to a completely new OS with a fresh Adobe install and newly created files beats me.
Anyway, the problem was somehow fixed by upping the preview save quality.