Skip navigation
WanderingWildcat
Currently Being Moderated

nine <br> in live code, not visible in code, can't delete in 'inspect' mode where visible

Sep 7, 2012 6:04 AM

Tags: #delete #gap #<br>

hi

my website consistently displays a large gap with nine <br> only visible when i go into "inspect" mode

i have tried all i can think of to get rid of them including cutting and pasting the whole page into a fresh template, but the gap comes along for the ride.  Everything is aligned to the 'top' and this same problem has not occured on any other pages which are set up to the same template.

very very frustrating - any suggestions would be most greatfully recieved,

page of website

http://www.lochnessgarden.com/catalogue/offers/Autumn%20Supp%202012.ht m

with big green gap at the top

Cheers Cat

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to WanderingWildcat

Well, for starters you don't have a valid document type on any of your pages.  That's worrisome because it makes your pages render in Quirks Mode which is confusing to browsers.  Open your template.  Modify > Page properties > Title/encoding and choose a DTD that matches your coding skills.  I recommend HTML 4.0 (transitional).  Apply.  Save Template and update pages.

I do see 9 <br> tags on line 50 of your source code.  They are inside an editable region so you won't find them in your Template. 

Use Ctrl+F (Find) to search the current document's source code for <br>.  Hit the Find All button.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 8, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to WanderingWildcat

The only thing that would inject junk into your page is:

1) pasting formatted text from MS Office into your HTML. 

2) inserting a bad Library Item.

3) inserting a server-side include.

I suspect #1 is your culprit.  Open your child page inside a plain text editor such as NotePad, NoteTab or Text Edit.  You should be able to see the junk code and remove it. Save.  Go back to using DW.

In the future, don't paste formatted text from MS Office directly into your HTML pages.  Use Edit > Paste Special > Plain text.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points