Skip navigation
shrik046
Currently Being Moderated

Replication agent to activate only certain paths

Sep 7, 2012 10:10 AM

Is there a way in CQ 5.3 to setup a replication agent to only process requests for certain repository paths? I am just trying to find out if this can be done without any custom replication agents and/or transport agents.

So for example - AgentA is only allowed to replicate content from path /content/aa/bb. AgentB should replicate content from all other paths except for /content/aa/bb.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to shrik046

Yes. You can create replication user with appropriate replication previlege and then use that user in the userid field of respective replication agent.

Yogesh

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to shrik046

Screen Shot 2012-09-10 at 10.35.13 AM.png

You have to change above user agent for both replication. admin is special user and should not be used by user to perform any operation. It should be strickly used by system admin.

Yogesh

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to Yogesh Upadhyay

Hi Yogesh,

But there will be a whole bunch of items in the replication queue which has been prohibited because of access rights.

So, how do we manage that. As, when it comes to troubleshooting unpublished or items waiting in the queue it might look bit difficult to identify the right ones.

Saravanan

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 5:33 AM   in reply to sara-cq-forum

It would rather be nice to have the replication agent controlled through some sort of content paths. As there might be clients using CQ5 as a platform for both their Intranet and Internet sites. Now CQ5 won't provide a way to restrict the replication process.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to sara-cq-forum

When a page is going to be published, it is first checked against the access rights of the configured "agent user"; if the agent user can read that page, this page will be put to the replication queue.

This is the documented and working way to restrict replication agents only to replicate certain parts of the repository.

Jörg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 12:57 AM   in reply to Jörg Hoh

Hi Jörg,

Thanks for the response. It does kind of works, but it will be hard to identify which one are genuinely rejected content for replication & the authentication failed one's.

And remember this has to be managed for reverse replication as well. So there will be always be a bunch of items in the queue re-trying to publish.

If someone publishes a content, what CQ does at the moment is, it hands over the content to all the agents configured and let the agents determine what access rights they have.

But it would be nice if there's a middle man process, who hands over the content to the appropriate agent. Because I believe there should be loads of clients trying to have both intranet and internet sites delivered through a single platform. The current architecture doesn't allows to mark contents as intranet specific one's and internet specific one's.

Thanks Jörg

Saravanan

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 1:05 AM   in reply to sara-cq-forum

Hi Saravanan,

I know some cases, where different frontend systems need to be delivered by a central authoring system. In these cases the content is usually structured in a way, so that you can easily determine, if a page will go to intranet or internet:

• Internet content is located in /content/internet/
    • Intranet content is located in /content/intranet/

Because then the settings are straight forward. If you need to maintain pages in both trees, I would recommend you to use the MSM.

In any case, that's the way how it works, and I have never experienced major problems with it, neither in functionality nor in maintainability. Of course you can request such an extension via Daycare support. But I wouldn't expect too much, as this would be a very intrusive change in a core functionality.

kind regards,

Jörg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points