Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

3D Option is now greyed out in CS6, worked fine before, no changes to system hardware

Sep 8, 2012 1:35 PM

Tags: #photoshop #3d #cs6

Hello, I'm running Windows 7 64bit, and I have 2 AMD Radeon 6950's in crossfire. It has only been a couple of months since I used CS6's create 3D extrusion layer, and it used to work fine, but now it's greyed out no matter what type of layer I'm selected on. Photoshop is seeing my graphics card just fine http://i.imgur.com/LREws.png and even says that 3D is an enabled feature if I mouse-over the Graphics Processor Settings box. I have the latest 12.8 AMD drivers. So, something between Photoshop and my graphics card are no longer playing nice - maybe an AMD Catalyst software setting? Although I've made sure that all my settings were restored back to default. I should also note that all other GPU enhancement features that I'm aware of seem to be working fine (like the quick zoom rendering, etc.)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 8, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to JorenR

this might be Catalyst problem, try reverting to Catalyst 12.4.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 8, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to JorenR

Why?  Have you found Catalyst 12.8 to be faster somehow than the older version?

Hazunfefer is right, 12.4 was a particularly stable release to use with Photoshop.

That said, I haven't had it bad with 12.8...  The one problem I *DID* have was that it didn't install as an upgrade to 12.4 properly.  I had to remove it, then remove the OpenCL components in the Windows system32 and syswow64 subfolders, then reinstall 12.8 afresh.  After that I have good results with 3D.  But I only have one lowly video card (a 5670).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 8, 2012 7:09 PM   in reply to JorenR

What do you see over in the Edit - Preferences - Performance dialog?  Is Photoshop not recognizing the GPU at all?

I wouldn't give up just yet.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 2:13 AM   in reply to JorenR

First step would be to keep 12.8 Catalyst, but you have to do a fresh install and clean the possible driver "left overs".

Download Driver Sweeper

1. Uninstall drivers + catalyst control center
    2. Reboot in safemode, use DriverSweeper
    3. Reboot
    4. Install Catalyst 12.8

if that doesnt work, use the same procedure but install Catalyst 12.4. Just to make clear it is the drivers causing the problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 9, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to JorenR

Glad you found the issue!

And thanks for that follow-up.  Even though it seems embarrassing, don't be worried over it.  We all zone out and do this sort of thing from time to time and your description of why it happened will no doubt help others who come across this thread.

I feel a bit silly as well, as I certainly know RGB is a requirement of 3D, and now you mention it I even remember going through this before with someone, so I should have thought of it.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to ask for / post a screen grab first, before delving into a problem.  It would probably have jumped out at someone pretty quickly.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to JorenR

The problem is solved then. An appropriate quote for the successful finish:

"Things are not always as they seem" -Mandrake

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to JorenR

After a lot of head scratching, this was the answer I was looking for, thank you!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points