Skip navigation
srioc
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to Create Outlines with Type on Path

Sep 8, 2012 6:05 PM

Tags: #font #on #a #create #path #type #vector #shape #outlines

Hello,

I'm using Illustrator CS4. I am unable to Create Outlines for a font after I had used the type on the Path Tool. I had used the ellipse tool to create a closed circular path, then I selected the Type on a Path tool. I selected my text using the arrow tool and ctrl-shift-o (Create outlines) and then I receive the message: "Can't Create type outlines." Not quite sure why this is happening. Did I miss something? The thing is this - my type is in the position and alignment that I want and I don't necessarily want to work with the Type as a Font but as vector shapes. Is there a way or technique to be able to do this? Or is there an alternative? Any hints or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

srioch

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 8, 2012 9:24 PM   in reply to srioc

I do not know what is causing your problem but you can select the text as before and go to Object> Expand or Object>Flatten the Trnasparency either one should work.

It would be nice to see your selected art and the appearance and layers panels expanded so we can see everything it might give a clue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 9, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to srioc

srioc,

I believe you have encountered a simple (preference) corruption of some kind. I usually recommend the following steps for increasingly serious/difficult cases, starting with non destructive measures (step 4) is non destructive, but step 3) is easier); your soultion comprises step 2).

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer;

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup;

4) Move the folder with Illy closed;

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options;

Even more seriously, you may:

6) Uninstall, run the Cleaner Tool if you have CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6, and reinstall.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points