• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Create Outlines with Type on Path

Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using Illustrator CS4. I am unable to Create Outlines for a font after I had used the type on the Path Tool. I had used the ellipse tool to create a closed circular path, then I selected the Type on a Path tool. I selected my text using the arrow tool and ctrl-shift-o (Create outlines) and then I receive the message: "Can't Create type outlines." Not quite sure why this is happening. Did I miss something? The thing is this - my type is in the position and alignment that I want and I don't necessarily want to work with the Type as a Font but as vector shapes. Is there a way or technique to be able to do this? Or is there an alternative? Any hints or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

srioch

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

I had the same problem, finally found the answer. In order to create outlines of text on a path, you have to select the path--not the type--with the selection tool. Then go to Object >> Expand...

Voila!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know what is causing your problem but you can select the text as before and go to Object> Expand or Object>Flatten the Trnasparency either one should work.

It would be nice to see your selected art and the appearance and layers panels expanded so we can see everything it might give a clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade,

Thank you for the response. Create Outlines is working for me now. The only thing I could conclude was that my PC needed to start afresh after several hours of working on it. Your suggestions was also very helpful!  If it happens again...I'll post a screenshot of my workspace and we can go from there. Thanks again!

srioch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

srioc,

I believe you have encountered a simple (preference) corruption of some kind. I usually recommend the following steps for increasingly serious/difficult cases, starting with non destructive measures (step 4) is non destructive, but step 3) is easier); your soultion comprises step 2).

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer;

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup;

4) Move the folder with Illy closed;

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options;

Even more seriously, you may:

6) Uninstall, run the Cleaner Tool if you have CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6, and reinstall.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great tip Wade! Thank you. I was having the same issue but the Flatten the Transparency with the dialog box was better than Create Outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  Expand worked perfectly! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srioch,

This happens to me today using CS6. I restarded Illustrator and even my MBP but still the crytical "Can't outline type" appears on every attempts. The problem was that I use 'select all' and 1 of the selected text-elements is in a grouped object and was locked so instead of outlining the selected one, CS6 choses to 'boycot' the whole action leaving the user troubled 🙂

So make sure you release all of the type-elements first before applying the outline command. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2016 Jun 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solved my issue.

In my case (same symptoms), I looked in the layers panel and found a hidden layer (containing no text) at the same level as a text layer.

I deleted that empty layer, selected all elements again, and the Type > Create Outlines operation worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, finally found the answer. In order to create outlines of text on a path, you have to select the path--not the type--with the selection tool. Then go to Object >> Expand...

Voila!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2019 Jun 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer 'you have to select the path--not the type--with the selection tool. Then go to Object >> Expand...'
was the TRICK....!  Thank YOU. . . !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad it helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Kr8ful!! This was driving me crazy and tried resetting the preferences and expand the appearance and that didn't work. I hope Illustrator fixes this in their next update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This helped a ton for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to all the great answers & fixes here. In Ai 2024, I had type on a path that encircled a logo.

After selecting just the path the type was on I was able to "Create Outlines" without the exapand step. Maybe this is something new and could help too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines