Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 - Base is 30 - Auto - problem

Feb 21, 2013 2:35 PM

When dragging multiple stills onto the Create Sequence icon, a project emerges with "base is 30".

This used to be adjustable in CS5.5 under File / Project Settings / Timecode to Auto or 25 or whatever.

Not anymore this menu item is gone.

• Don't tell me to put the project at 25 fps, because it is 25 fps, only when scrubbing you clearly see the 30 fps mismatch on the timeline. (the playback head and frame ends don't line up)
  • Don't tell me to put the footage at 30fps because it are all seperate stills that can't be set at any frame rate.
  • Don't tell me to put the import still fps at 25: it is on 25 and it doesn't help.

I need After Effects to start with base is 25, as default, to correct this problem. Where can I adjust it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to GeoffVane

Frame rate is in the composition settings. Go to Composition>Composition Settings

Frame rate of imported sequences is in the Preferences. Go to Preferences>Import

Both are in exactly the same place they have always been. After Effects remembers the last frame rate and composition length used.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to GeoffVane

Yeah, for some ill-conceived reason this option has been removed. Not sure about the logic behind it....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to GeoffVane

GeoffVane, i feel your pain. i am doing a good bit of compositing hand drawn animation sequences, and i am currently having to manually adjust frames so they are played back properly @24fps. please update if you figure anything out. cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to GeoffVane

Same problem here with 15 production workstations. English version bought in Germany, base 25 very much needed. Geoffvane, we fully support your comments! Please post if you come across resolves. We will, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to GeoffVane

Agreed.  The call centre in India is batting zero with my questions.  I've ended up teaching them a couple of times.

Get it together, Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to smith3000

The option to set the frame rate for imported stills is in the Preferences, not in the Project settings.

Screen Shot 2012-09-14 at 1.28.40 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 1:20 AM   in reply to smith3000

that ok,this is a display error.when creat composition ,ae always remember the last one setting.so first you can creat a composition with 25fps,then you drag pictrues to creat new composition. although in ae display "base 30",but in fact it is exactly 25fps.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to GeoffVane

The work around is to import the sequence of stills as a sequence so you end up with a single movie, or, if you really need a comp with a separate layer for each image, uncheck sequence layers, create the comp from selection, then with the CTI at the start of the timeline, set the out point for all of the layers by selecting Alt/Option + ], then use the Keyframe Assistant to sequence the layers.

A bit of a pain, but it works for any frame rate.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to Rick Gerard

I'm battling the same issue too.  The only difference is that I'm working with ARRIRAW footage which is recorded as a sequence of .ARI files.  CS6 supports ARRIRAW, but it won't allow me to import them as a sequence. Sooo... I imported them all as individual stills, selected all of them in my project, clicked 'New Comp from Selection', and specified the Still Duration as 1 frame.  Now this ALMOST worked, but the fact that I can't change it from Base 30 to Base 24 means that the each frame duration is too short for my 24fps composition.

I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place on this, so any advice would be appreciated!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 7:26 PM   in reply to stevedry

Answered in your other thread.... Use the same solution I offered above.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 6:07 AM   in reply to GeoffVane

I found a solution for me, don't know if it will help all of you:

1. The project is at 25 fps

2. The frame rate of imported sequences is set on 25

3. Drag the stills to create a sequence

4. layer duration IS wrong, as pointed here before.

5. Now, open the settings of the sequence you just created, change framerate to 30fps and then back to 25fps

6. It's now possible for me to adjust the length of the layers to one exact frame (1/25fps), the onlything to do now is sequence the layers again

hope it helps you. Still wating for the software update thow... this is not time-saving-friendly...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2012 4:00 AM   in reply to GeoffVane

The base 30 Problem, refers not only to image sequences but also to the sound.  Since Adobe money regularly for new updates rubs one of your customers, It is also time once the Adobe eliminated such stupid mistakes of product managers.  We are waiting now in version 5.5 out that this error is eliminated. But it is not happening! Our good money for Adobe CS6 again taken it without something to solve this problem! How can it be that a product manager a sensible feature of the software suddenly sweeps,  and then it is too weak to be reintroduced?  When you buy a German version of AE, you have to work the way only the opportunity to base the 25th That is no solution.  Dear Adobe product manager confess your faults one and remove it! But not only for new money in version 6.5 or 7 special now!  Greetings from a long waiting Adobe customers

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to H.Glaps

Uh, has anyone who is having these problems reported it to Adobe yet? 

Yeah, this is an Adobe forum, but the folks who are charged with investigating potential bugs don't often visit here.  They're busy with... well, investigating the potential bugs they already know about.

So rather than complaining over and over in a thread, do yourself some good.  File a bug report.  You can do it here.

You'll have to get extremely specific, and you'll need to provide a ton of details.  And you'll want to file them on a regular basis until they get sick of hearing from you.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, y'know....

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to GeoffVane

We have finally reached a representative in California, whose position i do not know. On a second mail he has seen our phenomenon himself and raised the priority of our matter for the engineers.

I will report as soon as there is something worthwhile.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 11:16 PM   in reply to GeoffVane

Adobe are you guys too busy polishing your porsche's to fix this.  Seriously, does the whole world use 30fps for all of their video/film production, coz you guys obviously think so.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to voltaire585

> Adobe are you guys too busy polishing your porsche's to fix this.  Seriously, does the whole world use 30fps for all of their video/film production, coz you guys obviously think so.

This was fixed in the version that came out many months ago:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/whats-new-changed-after-ef fects-next.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 6:59 PM   in reply to GeoffVane

Hi thanks for getting back, but this is what my Settings show, even after changing Sequence and Composition.

Base 30 default in Import settings.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 7:46 PM   in reply to voltaire585

Show your Project Settings dialog box. (That is the area where the control that you're asking to have returned used to live, so it's where we put it back, as asked by Geoff and others above.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

30fps_Base.JPG

AE CS6

vers 11.0.0.378

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to thecook12

thecook12, you are four bug fix updates behind. You should be on 11.0.4. Although, you'd probably be even better off running the latest CC version (12.2.0) as it has some nice, new features.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to Szalam

thecook12,

This feature was added back in After Effects CC (12); you have After Effects CS6 (11).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points